U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2012, 02:35 PM

419 posts, read 815,882 times

Advertisements

Just wondered. I'm going to be coming from Chicago, but out in the west suburbs, not the city proper. Still, I have a lot available to me. The weather down there is reason enough to relocate, if you ask me.

Just curious. I'm not into sports teams, so that won't matter. I am however, a big arts person. I go Chicago's Art Institute and any museums reasonable distance. ...I'm wondering if the smaller city size ends up sacrificing much?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 03:08 PM

3,979 posts, read 9,088,750 times
There are plenty of Museums, Theatres, and Institutions in Sarasota.
Asolo Repertory Theatre - A world-renowned acting company known for producing the highest quality professional theatre in true rotating repertory.

Art Center Sarasota - ACS continually puts on popular, culturally significant exhibitions, classes, workshops, artist demonstrations, lectures, discussions, critiques, receptions and special events. They are open to all ages and to all art forms.!

Arts and Cultural Alliance of Sarasota County - The Arts Cultural Alliance is a member powered group passionate about building appreciation, participation and support for arts and culture. The council has administers grants to area artists and arts organizations.

Banyan Theater Company - The Banyan Theater produces award winning professional theater works during the summer.

Caples Fine Arts Complex - Caples Fine Arts Complex forms a quadrangle of buildings arranged around a courtyard at New College of Florida. The centerpiece is the Mildred Sainer Fine Arts Pavilion where the contemporary series, New Music New College, holds most of its events.

Florida Studio Theatre - FST produces world premieres and contemporary works which have been produced on or off-Broadway within the last five years. FST operates three theatres: the 173-seat Keating Mainstage Theatre, the 160-seat Gompertz Theatre and the 109-seat Goldstein Cabaret Theatre.

Golden Apple Theater - The Golden Apple is a 281 seat, horseshoe- shaped theatre with a main floor and two additional tiers. The buffet dinner is served on the main floor and after the dinner is cleared the same space is used for the performance.

John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art - The Museum of Art, built by John Ringling to house his personal collection of masterpieces, today features paintings and sculptures by the great Old Masters. The European, American and Asian masterworks available here make the Museum of Art an awe-inspiring retreat.

The Players - A community theater with always enjoyable productions.

Sarasota Ballet of Florida - Sarasota Ballet is the Gulf Coast of Florida’s first and only professional ballet company, bring high quality artistic performances to the community.

The Sarasota Film Festival - Ten days of screen stars, seven epic events and more than 180 films grace Sarasota every year in what was called "the acme of regional film festivals" by Variety Magazine.

Sarasota Film Society - Sarasota Film Society is a nonprofit, member-supported organization, dedicated to providing the highest levels of entertainment and education to the public from all areas of the film industry.

Sarasota Folk Club - The Sarasota Folk Club is a Florida nonprofit organization keeping the traditions of Folk Music a living part of the Sarasota community.

Sarasota Key Chorale - Key Chorale is dedicated to performing and promoting professional symphonic choral music.

Sarasota Opera - Performing in the historic restored Sarasota Opera House the The Sarasota Opera is an internationally respected producer of the highest quality professional opera.

Sarasota Orchestra - The 80-member Orchestra performs more than 100 classical, pops and family concerts each year, and thrives as the oldest continuing orchestra in the state of Florida.

Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall - Set along the bayfront, the landmark Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall has been entertaining audiences with a variety of music, dance, theater and comedy for more than 35 years.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:33 PM

16,384 posts, read 19,305,769 times
It's pretty "small town" compared to Chicago and many other bigger cities. If you want bigger city you go to Tampa or Miami/Ft Lauderdale.

The Chicago Art Institute is awesome. I am not sure if there is anything like it in Florida. It's quite a treasure.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:53 PM

279 posts, read 510,735 times
i moved here from Long Island, NY (40 min commute to NYC) and I'm ok with it.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:53 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,392,435 times
i've been here almost two years and i find there is a lot to do art wise, music, theatre, etc., but most of it is concentrated in the winter season, which is kind of a bummer.
i still won't go back to LI for anything

Old 05-17-2012, 06:03 PM

6,864 posts, read 10,101,622 times
You will feel comfortable being in the City of Sarasota. It's small but shares some similar things as Chicago. Revenue cameras on traffic lights.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:13 PM

3,585 posts, read 5,144,717 times
The Chicago museum is fantastic, I've visited it several times over the years. I would suggest the Tampa Museum of Art in downtown Tampa and the (Salvador) Dali Museum and Museum of Fine Arts, both in St. Pete, as good options that are about an hour's drive or less from Sarasota.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:59 PM

419 posts, read 815,882 times
Thanks all, great suggestions...I did not know there was an orchestra! wow!...Thats something I really was hoping for. I also forgot about the Dali museum in St Pete.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:44 AM

16,384 posts, read 19,305,769 times
The neat thing about living in FL is you can do short trips throughout the entire state. So many things in FL to see and do.

Bok Tower Gardens is great and is not very well known. It is a day trip from Sarasota.

Bok Tower Gardens in Lake Wales, FL | A Piece of Florida History near Tampa and Orlando
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area