U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2012, 06:54 AM

192 posts, read 432,166 times

Advertisements

I moved here about 3 months ago into a quiet, modest neighborhood. my goal was to find a neat little home in a good area and live a little simpler. I love my house and neighbor hood EXCEPT for one. Directly across the street from me is "Sanford and Son". When I first got here, there was a little bit of stuff in the driveway ( riding mower, some power tools) but within 3 months, has turned into a junkyard. He totaled his truck and now keeps it under a tarp, hauled home his "project" truck and it now sits there in pieces. Along with them are the mower ( still, has never moved) and a couple of ATVs. All this in a 2 car driveway. I called code enforcement and they told me " that as long as the vehicles have current plates on them, that he is not in violation" . So now, after investing a bunch in my neat little home, I have to look out at a junk yard.
I have lived in several citys across the US and really haven't been up against this before. I realize that he was here before me, but the junk wasn't. As it gets worse and there is really nothing the county can do about it, I guess I'll have to punt and find another place, but his really will effect my resale.
What would you do?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 07:36 AM

10,979 posts, read 9,692,503 times
And there you have the downside of not living in a deed restricted neighborhood.

Have you tried politely asking your neighbor to clean it up a little?

If that doesn't work you could always erect a ten foot privacy fence or quick growing hedges.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:42 AM

1,581 posts, read 2,958,303 times
I'd also try talking to the neighbor but if he knows he's within his rights I guess there is nothing much you can do except go rip off the "current tags" ..................

Old 05-21-2012, 08:10 AM

398 posts, read 744,056 times
Deed restricted or not there may be legal means (takes time) to getting it taken care of. There are County offices that you & other concerned neighbors could start calling. GOOD LUCK !

Old 05-21-2012, 08:16 AM

1,939 posts, read 5,766,674 times
I have learned quickly that deed restrictions are a must! We didn't have them up north, but We see why they are needed here...

Old 05-21-2012, 08:34 AM

40 posts, read 92,221 times
I'm a big fan of deed restricted developments. They can be a little over the top, but I'd rather have that then seeing someone's underwear line drying in the back yard.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:02 AM

192 posts, read 432,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyMoosh View Post
I'm a big fan of deed restricted developments. They can be a little over the top, but I'd rather have that then seeing someone's underwear line drying in the back yard.
Back yard? He would hang or pile them up out front at the rate he is going.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:50 AM

6,864 posts, read 10,098,027 times
There are older sub-divisions and areas with no deed restrictions where people still maintain a sense of pride about their and their neighbors property to maintain its value and appearance. But there's always that one person with the 'you can't tell me what to do with my property' attitude. They are never going to move, so don't care how it looks. And they don't care what you think about the appearance of their property.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:50 AM

3,979 posts, read 9,086,402 times
We had a similar issue in our non-deed restricted neighborhood. Politely talk to the neighbor first. And ask your neighbors to talk to them as well. Then it won't look like you are the only one complaining. If they are not willing to clean up a little, ask if there is something you can do to help. If they still won't budge, then look into what the county regulations are for reporting code violations. See if there is anything on the list that is a code violation, then report it and have other neighbors report it. The more complaints they get, they will eventually send someone out to take a look at it.

If they have no code violations, then you are stuck looking at junk. Our neighbor got a dumpster brought in, removed stuff and also put up a white PVC fence so we couldn't see what he didn't take away. Two of our neigbhors complained weekly until something was done. I am not sure where you live or what county you are in. But you never know what neighbors might do or who might move in. You have basically no control over that. Another thing is, do the neighbors own the home or are they renters? If they are renters then you can call the landlord.

Good luck with your situation. It is not easy to remedy.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:42 AM

3,583 posts, read 5,141,846 times
Codes vary somewhat from county to county, the city of Sarasota has tighter property standards than Sarasota county.

If you are located within Sarasota county, there are specific rules about junk and debris in yards. County code also states that vehicles must not only have current tags, they must be operable OR be stored in an enclosed building.

You can find the entire list of Sarasota county property standards at:
Zoning
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area