Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2012, 05:51 PM

40 posts, read 100,398 times

Advertisements

Curious, what is the allergy situation like there? I never had any allergies when I lived in Ohio, but when I moved to Myrtle Beach I always have some stuffiness. Some times of the year are worse than others. My daughter is more affected by it than me. She can rip off 12 sneezes in a row. I'm guessing it's probably the same there given it is also a coastal area. There are lots of airborn molds around from the water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 08:21 PM

4,612 posts, read 7,529,570 times
The local Bright House cable tv channel 9 (in Manatee county) always gives the pollen/mold counts with the weather on the 9's.

In the spring tree pollen is a big problem for some people, the oak and pine trees dump a lot of pollen. Park your car under a big oak or pine tree for a few hours and it will be covered in a yellowish green dust.

In the summer grass is more of an issue.

When we used to live in the midwest I would have a terrible time each year when the corn would start to tassel. Once in awhile I have problems here in the spring when the trees are dumping pollen, but it's still better than the corn. I guess it all depends on what sets off your allergies.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:47 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
I lived on the beach most of my life in MB and never had a problem. I am about a mile inland now and have had a few problems.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:10 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,544,071 times
When I lived in NY I had bad sinus allergies. I don't get that here, but I do get allergies from the pollen in the air, several times a year. I take two walks a day with my dog and I often get itchy, burning, watery eyes. When it gets really bad I just take an over the counter allergy med and it helps. When it is windy out it seems to be worse.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:01 AM

40 posts, read 100,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
The local Bright House cable tv channel 9 (in Manatee county) always gives the pollen/mold counts with the weather on the 9's.

In the spring tree pollen is a big problem for some people, the oak and pine trees dump a lot of pollen. Park your car under a big oak or pine tree for a few hours and it will be covered in a yellowish green dust.

In the summer grass is more of an issue.

When we used to live in the midwest I would have a terrible time each year when the corn would start to tassel. Once in awhile I have problems here in the spring when the trees are dumping pollen, but it's still better than the corn. I guess it all depends on what sets off your allergies.
We get the same yellow pine pollen in Myrtle Beach. Usually in April for about a month. Sometimes it can get so bad that if it's windy it looks like it's "snowing" yellow. That stuff actually doesn't bother me too bad. I just try to remember to keep my garage door shut at all times otherwise every tool I own is covered in yellow dust. It's the airborn molds that get me.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:24 AM

279 posts, read 577,551 times
it's much better here for me but my cousin seems to have trouble in Tampa. She's a teacher though so it could be school-cooties.

In NY i died from the pollen and had year round allergy and sinus probs that resulted in bronchitis, sinus infections, laryngitis and terrible headaches and migraines. I have not had these problems here and that's reason enough to stay! lol I don;t think I've been on an antibiotic since moving here!

Old 05-23-2012, 08:12 PM

285 posts, read 638,823 times
When I lived in Virginia and Pennsylvania allergies KILLED me in the spring & early summer. It was basically 3 months of torture.

Once I moved to Myrtle Beach (lived in Barefoot Resort) all my allergies disappeared.

In February this year I moved to Sarasota and I had bad allergies that lasted about 4 weeks in March, evidently from oak tree pollen. However since early April I've been allergy free. Before moving here I made visits in May, July, September and November in 2011 and didn't have any allergy issues at those times.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:50 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,885,374 times
I have spring allergies too. If our deck, grill, etc. are covered with that yellow dust, my eyes are itching. When i'm in Florida though, I have no allergy problems at all. I guess it's different for everyone, depending on what it is you're allergic to.
Of course driving my convertible with the top down, then coming home and going on a bike ride don't help me any....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area