Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 10:38 AM

10 posts, read 19,850 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to Sarasota for work and I'm looking for some general then specific advice on areas that would be good for me. I am leaning toward renting a home or apartment until I get acclimated with the area.

I am single male. I have two dogs. I like to jog and bike. I like to be close to the action but not necessarily in the middle of it. I have spent some time in downtown Sarasota and Siesta Key and can appreciate things about both of those 'lifestyles'. For reference, areas I like in other Florida Cities are Riverside in terms of the feel (in Jacksonville) and Ybor/Channelside/Hyde Park in terms of restaurants, entertainment, atmosphere (in Tampa). Also, Hyde Park/Mt. Lookout (in Cincinnati, OH) if it helps anyone else get an idea.

Other factors of some importance to me:

- Being in an area with a median age close(r) to mine
- Accessibility (things close by like stores, parks, restaurants, etc.)
- Possibly bike-friendly
- Better area in terms of crime (car break-ins, etc.)

Has anyone lived in downtown Sarasota? Bad idea? Any areas that have nightmare traffic? Any other general or specific advice/cautions based on the above?

If you would like any more information, feel free to ask and I will provide. Thanks in advance for any/all your suggestions/advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 10:49 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,550,239 times
The biggest question is what is your price range? Then you can narrow down from there what places fit your needs within your price range. Are you looking for a condo or single family home to rent? Rentals are sometimes hard to find if you have two dogs. What type of dogs and weight of dogs do you have? That makes a difference too. Some condos do not allow dogs or have weight limits.

Here are some sites you can take a look to see what is available for rentals.
Rental Ads

Ebay Classifieds –
http://www.ebayclassifieds.com/
Florida Rental Ads –
http://www.floridarentalads.com/
Real Rentals –
http://www.realrentals.com/
Rentals.com –
www.rentals.com
Rent Range –
www.rentrange.com
Vactional Rentals by Owner – www.vrbo.com
Sarasota Herald Tribune - http://www.heraldtribune.com/

You can also check the local MLS at: Florida Homes for Sale direct from MLS

Old 05-22-2012, 10:55 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times
I spent a few weeks living in downtown Sarasota. Everyone always told me about the "nightmare traffic" but I thought it was a joke. However, I am from NY and use to weaving in an out of traffic to get by. Traffic doesn't really bother me.

The area is bike friendly and a lot of people bike and jog during the day. I am an avid runner and biker as well, which was why I enjoyed Sarasota.

I think a lot of the people that are in your age group live in north Sarasota but I could be completely wrong.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:12 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,344,825 times
I cannot imagine this conversation does not lead you to Southside Village.

There's even an excellent bike shop right in the neighborhood:

Village Bikes »

Old 05-22-2012, 12:23 PM

@TamRE I am probably looking at a single family home or apartment (I have heard nightmares about anything and everything condo) for a rental and looking to spend 1000 - 1200 a month at the most. My dogs are boxers at 50 and 65 lbs. I understand that will probably be a challenge in-and-of itself which is why I am leaning toward a pet-friendly apartment or single family home to rent.

@ja1myn I am coming from a larger metro area as well so I don't expect any nightmares either. However, there are always those one or two areas that can add 20 minutes to a 5 minute commute at the wrong time of day.

@Rushmore Thanks I will look into that area. Any other general areas you would recommend (in addition to Southside Village) that I take a look at?

Old 05-22-2012, 12:35 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Look around downtown, specifically Laurel Park. Very dog-friendly, you can walk to everything, you are close to Bayfront Park, the Ringling Bridge (with jog/bike path) St. Armands, Lido Beach. I think you would enjoy this area the most. Rentals here might be hard to come by, that is the one drawback. If you can find anything else near downtown that would work for you as well. Southside Village area is great, but it's really expensive. Gillespie Park, just north of downtown might be an option in your price range, but stay well south of 10th St. or you are getting too close to the ghetto (Newtown).

Siesta Key does get nightmare traffic (to me) during the season, as the roads clog up with people trying to get on/off the key. And you will always be traveling to get what you need in town.

Good luck, and hope this helps!

Old 05-22-2012, 01:31 PM

@gypsychic Thanks! That is an extremely helpful response.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:03 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,550,239 times
After checking the MLS listings in your price range for rental single family homes that allow pets the areas are Ridge Wood Heights, Gulf Gate, Vamo and Newton. You may want to check into some of the apartment rentals in other locations using some of the rental web sites as well.
www.apartments.com
www.apartmentguide.com
www.rentals.com/apartments/Florida/Sarasota
www.forrent.com

Old 05-22-2012, 05:05 PM

thank you, TamRE

Old 05-23-2012, 11:03 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me_boosta View Post
I am relocating to Sarasota for work and I'm looking for some general then specific advice on areas that would be good for me. I am leaning toward renting a home or apartment until I get acclimated with the area.

I am single male. I have two dogs. I like to jog and bike. I like to be close to the action but not necessarily in the middle of it. I have spent some time in downtown Sarasota and Siesta Key and can appreciate things about both of those 'lifestyles'. For reference, areas I like in other Florida Cities are Riverside in terms of the feel (in Jacksonville) and Ybor/Channelside/Hyde Park in terms of restaurants, entertainment, atmosphere (in Tampa). Also, Hyde Park/Mt. Lookout (in Cincinnati, OH) if it helps anyone else get an idea.

Other factors of some importance to me:

- Being in an area with a median age close(r) to mine
- Accessibility (things close by like stores, parks, restaurants, etc.)
- Possibly bike-friendly
- Better area in terms of crime (car break-ins, etc.)

Has anyone lived in downtown Sarasota? Bad idea? Any areas that have nightmare traffic? Any other general or specific advice/cautions based on the above?

If you would like any more information, feel free to ask and I will provide. Thanks in advance for any/all your suggestions/advice!
I've lived in downtown SRQ since 2007. First on Palm Avenue for a couple of years and have been in Southside Village since 2009. I'd tell you check craigslist. I found my rental in SV through there. As far as living amongst your age group, not so much but maybe in and around downtown...it's pretty mixed. Gillespie Park has some awesome old houses that are more affordable rental wise than Southside Village. My xbf & his gf have an adorable house over in GP and pay base around $800 with pets. Don't stress on the traffic, it's really nothing. Crime is everywhere, even in the best of neighborhoods. If you're around downtown, you're close to everything...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area