U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 12:29 PM

517 posts, read 988,233 times

Advertisements

Hi, I would appreciate any relocation advice anyone familiar with the Bradenton area could give me concerning the best areas to look in (re safety) for housing near State College of Florida, Manatee-Sarasota (formerly Manatee Community College).

I would also be grateful for advice about the safety of the various possible routes I should take if I commuted to the college from points south (Sarasota, etc.). I am looking for a route that's safe to drive through at night as well as during the day.

The most direct route from I-75 to the campus is to exit I-75 at state road 70 (53rd Ave.) and go west to 26th St. West, but from what I've already read on this forum my impression is that it goes through an area that is extremely high crime. What is the best approach route to the campus coming from out of the area (a different exit on I-75? North from Sarasota via 41? Driving up via Longboat Key and taking Cortez?).

I have been reading all the messages already posted in this forum (as well as looking at crime stat sites) and am now very concerned about safety after reading these posts (I knew the crime rate was high, as it is in much of Florida, but the things I'm reading are way beyond what I thought to expect from a relatively small city as far as violent crime).

If it would be safest to live near campus to avoid commuting through unsafe areas, what areas would you suggest looking in?

Thanks in advance for any info!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 12:51 PM

1,939 posts, read 5,902,970 times
Well, in all honesty the area the college is located in isnt the greatest. It's very mixed with some older people who have been there forever, a few families and some shady ones and such. We have acquaintances who live near the college and the cops are around all the time. It's an older area, safe for the most part but you can do better. If you are set on being close by, Mirror Lake is a condo subdivision where they sometimes do rentals. Also, there are some apartments on 75th street that are nice, just off Cortez: Vista @ Palma Sola (or something like that) is very nice, safe with working class people, and the other apartments along 75th are nice too. These would be about a 15 minute commute through average areas. There are a few others but you can find better areas with nice commutes.

You didn't mention a budget so it's hard to say..however, the University Parkway area is very nice and offers a lot of rentals in Carolina Landings, Sabal Bay, and apartments along University Parkway. The area has a lot to offer, isn't too far from beaches and would be about a 15-20 minute commute, through safe areas. There is lots of shopping, fast food, dining, banks and it's a very suburban like area. There is A BWW, and a few other leisurely places too. Most of all, it's very safe, middle/upper class clientle and quiet. University Parkway is the border for Bradenton and Sarasota. South is still Bradenton.

You could look into going further West or East but then the commute is getting longer...be in touch with us here, we are a fun, helpful group. anymore questions, just ask . I hope this was helpful

Old 06-13-2012, 02:27 PM

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Oobie119!

If I lived where you're suggesting near University, do you by any chance know whether the safer commute route would be west on University to 41 and then north on 41 to Florida Blvd. or Bayshore Gardens Pkwy. (rather than I-75 to SR 70)? Or something else?

I would most likely rent a room in a house or a condo; those seem to run $400-650, which is an ideal budget for me. (So I think I am not limited to certain areas in the way I would be if I were renting the whole house or condo.)

And yes, I've noticed how friendly and helpful the people on this forum are! I've been reading City-Data forums for a while, and I've noticed that City-Data in general, and this forum (which until recently also included Charlotte county, I think) in particular, stands out as having really nice people.

Thanks again for the helpful reply!

Old 06-13-2012, 02:38 PM

16,236 posts, read 34,789,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City__Datarer View Post
Thanks for taking the time to reply, Oobie119!

If I lived where you're suggesting near University, do you by any chance know whether the safer commute route would be west on University to 41 and then north on 41 to Florida Blvd. or Bayshore Gardens Pkwy. (rather than I-75 to SR 70)? Or something else?

I would most likely rent a room in a house or a condo; those seem to run $400-650, which is an ideal budget for me. (So I think I am not limited to certain areas in the way I would be if I were renting the whole house or condo.)

And yes, I've noticed how friendly and helpful the people on this forum are! I've been reading City-Data forums for a while, and I've noticed that City-Data in general, and this forum (which until recently also included Charlotte county, I think) in particular, stands out as having really nice people.

Thanks again for the helpful reply!
Hi - I live in Whitfield, which is about a 5 minute commute to that campus. This is a WONDERFUL neighborhood, beautiful and safe, and convenient to everything. Check Craigslist for rentals, be sure to put in "Whitfield."

Good luck to you!

Old 06-13-2012, 02:43 PM

Thank you, Gypsychic--that's very encouraging news!

Old 06-13-2012, 11:21 PM

5,299 posts, read 7,214,744 times
Awww, City_Daterer (cute name, BTW), don't let those crime stats scare you! Have you visited Bradenton? Sure, it has some seedy areas, but it's not like driving through your typical city 'hood. 41 is a busy, major multi-lane highway coming up from Sarasota. SR 70/53rd is a well-traveled road as well. I don't know specifically about the area where the college is, but it's only a few blocks off 53rd, I kind of doubt you're risking your life driving through those few blocks. My Mom lived very happily in Bradenton for 15 years, and I have spent a lot of time there. The thing about Florida is, there can be "bad" areas right next to good ones, so you have to do your due diligence. Let us know when you've honed in on a specific area. I don't personally know about Whitfield, but that sounds like an excellent place to start!

Old 06-14-2012, 07:09 AM

From the University Park area to SoF.. I would go Lockwood Ridge up to sr 70, and Sr 70 to 26th. This is a pretty safe route, sr 70 can look a bit run down, but it's just poor, not unsafe. Or you can take Honore, (63rd) all the way, it turns into Bayshore Gardens and then just go from there. Most of the areas from here to there are safe.you can try a variety of differe troupes to see which is most comfortable.

And yes, you can take University to US41, however the area around the airport always seemed a it shady to me. I've seen some shady characters walking around at night as I pass through (usually with my husband) haha!

Old 06-14-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Awww, City_Daterer (cute name, BTW), don't let those crime stats scare you! Have you visited Bradenton? Sure, it has some seedy areas, but it's not like driving through your typical city 'hood. 41 is a busy, major multi-lane highway coming up from Sarasota. SR 70/53rd is a well-traveled road as well. I don't know specifically about the area where the college is, but it's only a few blocks off 53rd, I kind of doubt you're risking your life driving through those few blocks. My Mom lived very happily in Bradenton for 15 years, and I have spent a lot of time there. The thing about Florida is, there can be "bad" areas right next to good ones, so you have to do your due diligence. Let us know when you've honed in on a specific area. I don't personally know about Whitfield, but that sounds like an excellent place to start!

I'm glad someone else a shares my perspective on Bradenton, and the diversity of Florida.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:05 AM

16,236 posts, read 34,789,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobie119 View Post
From the University Park area to SoF.. I would go Lockwood Ridge up to sr 70, and Sr 70 to 26th. This is a pretty safe route, sr 70 can look a bit run down, but it's just poor, not unsafe. Or you can take Honore, (63rd) all the way, it turns into Bayshore Gardens and then just go from there. Most of the areas from here to there are safe.you can try a variety of differe troupes to see which is most comfortable.

And yes, you can take University to US41, however the area around the airport always seemed a it shady to me. I've seen some shady characters walking around at night as I pass through (usually with my husband) haha!
Oobie, this is where I live, and it is fine. We have been here four years now, with never a problem not even noise (despite the airport). I don't even think Bayshore Gardens is as bad as people here say, I drive through there all the time to go grocery shopping. Mostly retired folks there.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:57 AM

3,906 posts, read 5,850,903 times
We take SR70/ 53rd St all the time, day and night. It's a busy road. I do know the area near the college campus and, as someone else said, it's a mixed neighborhood of retirees, working class people and rentals. The campus is very close to the IMG tennis academy on 34th St W, which attracts players and their families from all over the country and the world. You might try finding a rental in Lakebridge, next door to the tennis academy as it is also close to the college. There are also a number of condos as various rental ranges in El Conquistador to the south.

Bayshore Gardens is not a bad community. My husband's nephew and his family have lived in Bayshore Gardens for years and years. They have had some problems over the past 4-5 years with rentals, probably because some of the people in foreclosure were renting out their homes to whomever or whatever. I have heard that things are improving as the number of foreclosures keep dropping. You might also try the Cape Vista neighborhood off of Cortez just west of 51st St W for a rental. The Whitfield area off of US41 just north of the airport is another nice area, as someone else has already posted.

Except for a couple of small areas up off of Manaatee Ave where most of the trouble seems to happen, it is a nice, smaller town with a lot of retirees and working class people that take pride in their homes and their town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area