Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2012, 12:11 PM

2 posts, read 25,844 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I'm new here and researching information on Bradenton, FL, which I will be moving to later this year with my girlfriend. While I have been to Bradenton many times and love the area, I've never been there during a Hurricane or heard much about the area being affected by them. I try and also pay attention during Hurricane season because I always knew I would be moving to FL at some point. Is the Bradenton Area effected by many Hurricanes? When was the last one or the biggest one?

Thanks for any information.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 12:59 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,740,370 times
I've been here since late '86 and I have yet to see one. It could be just a matter of time, of course. We have had years where the "cone of death" aka hurricane tracking map projected a path right thru the area but they always seem to go in another direction. All you can do is learn how to be prepared and hope for the best.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:56 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,918,024 times
I was born in Bradenton and have lived in the area my whole life. I have never evacuated due to a hurricane, not to say that I wouldn't. There was a fairly big one the year I was born in 72'. Here's a pic of my dad's car after the storm :

Here's a map that shows hurricane probabilities:

The best thing to do is watch the weather, keep stocked up on supplies and be ready to evacuate, if need be.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:48 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
I was born in Bradenton and have lived in the area my whole life. I have never evacuated due to a hurricane, not to say that I wouldn't. There was a fairly big one the year I was born in 72'. Here's a pic of my dad's car after the storm :

Here's a map that shows hurricane probabilities:

The best thing to do is watch the weather, keep stocked up on supplies and be ready to evacuate, if need be.
That's interesting that it's 1 in 11 for FT MYERS, and 1 in 25 for TAMPA BAY.

I wonder if that's from going across the Everglades....or if they'd be coming up through the Gulf of Mexico?

Old 04-12-2012, 05:25 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,688,778 times
back when i was researching my move to sarasota i found a hurricane tracking website ( I think it was by the NOAA) that showed the tracks of hurricane and tropical storms across florida by year, and it does seem to indicate that the tampa/sarasota area is less likely to be hit directly than to the north or south of here.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:28 PM

44 posts, read 145,534 times
Summer 1985 Hurricane Elena came through Bradenton. We evacuated to a VFW Hall for 2-3 days. It was NO fun at all! The Braden River flooded a family members home. So.....

Old 06-11-2012, 03:37 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,261,635 times
Funny thing, My husband and I honeymooned and lived through Charlie. Had to evacuate up in Sand Key, headed to Orlando to see him follow us. All in all, a hurricane is just a rain storm with a load of water and wind. Sure they can be dangerous and unpredictable, but from what I have seen, not too much of a threat unless it's a bigger cat.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:04 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,740,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobie119 View Post
Funny thing, My husband and I honeymooned and lived through Charlie. Had to evacuate up in Sand Key, headed to Orlando to see him follow us. All in all, a hurricane is just a rain storm with a load of water and wind. Sure they can be dangerous and unpredictable, but from what I have seen, not too much of a threat unless it's a bigger cat.
Oobie119...I know what you mean and have to admit that I tend to think the same way, too, but this can be a dangerous way of looking at these storms and I hope you'll change your mind on the subject. It is true that you don't have to be too far from the center of circulation before the hurricane becomes more of a very nasty storm and less of a "hurricane" but the damage near the center is pretty awesome and, by all accounts, is not something you should ever take for granted. Plus, even when you are not near the center, the risk from tornados, debris, electricution, and even injury during the cleanup is pretty significant. Call me a boy scout but I'd hate to see you make the classic error of taking these things for granted.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:32 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobie119 View Post
If you evacuated from Charlie, you didn't experience the strenght of the hurricane. You just got to experience evacuation.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:44 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,402,263 times
Dude, you're moving to FLORIDA! Ha ha, just kidding, but Bradenton is no more likely to get hit than anywhere else. Actually, the closest hurricane I remember while my Mom lived there (since 1997) is Charley, which hit Punta Gorda. I thought Ivan caused a lot of problems that same year, but it doesn't look like it made landfall anywhere near Bradenton.

I found a couple websites that show hurricane landfalls from the 1800s. Doesn't look like Bradenton/Sarasota have been a direct hit at all, but that's not to say they wouldn't be in the future. You just never know, but if you've committed to Florida, that's just part of life there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area