Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 12:00 PM

31 posts, read 197,312 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate to florida and thinking about considering Venice or Englewood. We like the small town feel of venice, but afraid it might be too pricey. We have been to the Rotunda west section of englewood and wasnt very impressed. Does anyone, other than realestate agents have any thoughts on these areas in regard to things to do,cultural, beaches and general way of life. We are beach bums that enjoy a good cup of coffee and walking around the town window shopping. also, anyone know the millage rate of venice, on average.Also, anyone have any info on englewood isles?
On-line the houses look nice. Thanks all for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 03:12 AM

384 posts, read 986,599 times
Wow... looks like nobody answered this post from last September ... I sure would be interested if some does have comments.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:43 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,819,661 times
We just moved to Englewood but we really didn't look at either Venice or Rotunda. Instead we looked at Nokomis and not finding what we wanted drifted south. We were looking for primarily non-HOA neighborhoods and a smaller town than Venice is.

You would like Englewood if you like water, fishing, quiet, safe neighborhoods and don't need a lot of big box stores or much shopping of any kind except grocery stores. There are nice restaurants here though. Not much entertainment. I don't think there is a movie theatre within 15 minutes but I haven't looked yet .

Rotunda is a BIG place but I got the idea that it is very seasonal with lots of owners from England.
When you contact a realtor they will immediately want to show you South Gulf Cove because the prices are very good there on property. Out of 5 realtors we talked to EVERY ONE of them brought up SGC first.
It is on the Myakka River/Charlotte Harbor side of the area and we wanted to be on the Gulf side so we didn't look at property there.(look at a map and see what I'm talking about).

Venice is full of shopping as well as traffic (not that there's anything wrong with that ). Just not what we wanted. Also somewhat seasonal but as people age they stay longer until they are year-round.

In Englewood we have the YMCA, Publix, Sweetbay, the hospital, the library, new Home Depot and the beach within 5-10 minutes. That's all we need.

Perhaps someone else can give you an opinion on Venice but most realtors will show you both towns if you ask.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:08 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,819,850 times
iamgardner is pretty accurate with their description of all of the areas they described. Englewood is kind of a small beachy, fishing town. Englewood has a pretty neat little downtown area, as does Venice.

The prices are similar depending a the area. South Venice is generally less expensive than some of the other areas of Venice.

I'll post what I wrote about Englewood and Venice and hopefully that will give you a better idea of what to expect. I attended Englewood Elementary and LA Ainger Middle School as a kid and really liked both of them.

Englewood
Englewood Florida is off the beaten path just south of Venice in southwestern Florida on beautiful Lemon Bay. Just off the Gulf of Mexico, Englewood is eighty-five miles from Tampa Bay, fifty miles north of Fort Myers and easily accessible to US 41 and I-75. The Englewood area is home to many upscale neighborhoods and recreational areas and features some of the most beautiful beaches and the best fishing in the state. There is plenty of opportunity for entertainment, shopping, sight-seeing and exercise. The Englewood Arts Center offers special events, programs and scheduled showings and Englewood is home to many artists, painters, writers, photographers, actors, and directors. Within the Englewood area, you will also find several barrier islands - Knight Island, Manasota Key, Don Pedro Island and Palm Island, Little Gasparilla Island and Gasparilla Island – otherwise known as Boca Grande. Englewood sports four gulf beaches and two state parks, charming tiki bars, tourist shopping, boating, skiing, sailing and more.

Visitors and residents enjoy the balmy breezes and unspoiled beaches where you can sun bathe, add to your sea shell collection, swim, boat, fish and picnic. Englewood beaches border the gorgeous Gulf of Mexico, and Manasota Beach and Blind Pass Beach – on Manasota Key - offer even more choices from which water enthusiasts can choose. Manasota Key has a docking area on the Intercoastal Waterway. Manasota Beach sports fourteen acres of beach and dunes, with barbeque pits, boardwalks, sheltered tables, and a bath house. Blind Pass Beach covers more than sixty acres and now has a nature trail. You can spread your blanket on the beach and soak up the rays, swim, fish, and partake of many other water-based activities. Englewood Beach, in Charlotte County is a broad beachfront with picnic tables, concession stands, paved parking and a boardwalk, and it is close to clubs, restaurants and shops. Stump Pass Beach State Park is a gulf-front, sandy beach, where you can dig your toes in the sand, snorkel, fish and watch the daily light show as the sun paints mauve and scarlet colors on the horizon.

Here in Englewood, you can fish for tarpon, charter a boat to go deep sea fishing, golf on the semi-private, private and public golf courses and pursue every passion. Englewood residents enjoy the local communities – Little Gasparilla and Gasparilla Island, Cape Haze, Palm Island and Don Pedro, Englewood Farms and Englewood East, Rotonda Heights, Rotonda Lakes, and Rotonda Meadows, West, Sands and Villas, the Gardens of Gulf Cove, Gulf Cove and South Gulf Cove, Shamrock Shores, Grove City and New Point Comfort. The people who live in the Englewood area represent a diverse cross-section of active seniors, young families, and professional singles. They moved to Englewood to enjoy the beautiful Florida weather, the gulf waters and the tropical beaches. Stick around for a while and you will discover what residents already know. Explore the Cedar Point Environmental Center with 88 acres of hiking trails that meander through pine flat woods, a natural environment with oak scrub, salt flats and the amazing mangroves of Lemon Bay. You might even spot an American bald eagle or a gopher tortoise. The Lemon Bay Park in Olde Englewood, has a wondrous butterfly garden, and plenty of nature trails and picnic sites. Spend a relaxing evening in Historic Olde Englewood Village as they present Saturday Nite Live from 6-9 pm the second Saturday of the month. Shops, restaurants and art galleries stay open late and serve treats while live music fills the air on different street corners. Car buffs love to see the vintage cars that line the street the first Saturday of each month during Cruizin’ on Dearborn.

In Englewood you will find beautiful older homes and new home sites. Live on Lemon Bay and enjoy a panoramic, waterfront view. The amenities and features of Englewood communities are as diverse as its people. Equestrian communities like Englewood Farm Acres, Lake Geraldine and Estates at Gasparilla Preserve are spacious communities that cater to horse-lovers. You can settle here, build yourself a horse barn and enjoy the many trails and natural environs. Pursue your passion for golf in the communities of Oyster Creek or Boca Royale or play on the beautiful Wildflower public course. Take up residence on your own barrier island just off the mainland on Don Pedro, Palm Island, Gasparilla Island, Little Gasparilla and Manasota Key. If it is gulf access you want, you can find it in South Gulf Cove, Placida Harbor, and Englewood Isles.

Today, approximately 46,000 residents live in the Englewood area. Many young families have come to live here and the private schools, and public elementary, middle and high schools are some of the best in Florida. The Englewood area and its surrounding communities represent the best Florida has to offer. Communities are built to integrate seamlessly into the natural environment, neighbors are friendly, casual and laid-back. Here you can relax and enjoy the tropical setting, living comfortably with all the conveniences and amenities you need and want. There are many waterfront properties along the coast of Lemon Bay, including condominiums and villas and single-family homes. Many communities are deed restricted and home prices and styles vary from moderately priced homes, lovely homes to multi-million dollar luxury estates homes.

Englewood
Boca Royale -Golf, Gated
Englewood Farm Acres -Equestrian
Englewood Isles -Waterfront
Foxwood
Overbrook Gardens
Oyster Creek -Golf, Gated
Rotonda -Golf
South Gulf Cove -Waterfront
Whispering Pines

Last edited by SoFLGal; 04-06-2008 at 02:19 PM..

Old 04-06-2008, 02:18 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,819,850 times
I also attended Venice Elementary as a kid and liked it. The downtown Venice area is a neat area to spend a day. Here's what I wrote about Venice:

Venice
Venice, Florida is located in Sarasota County on the Gulf of Mexico. It is aptly named and has numerous canals that meander through the city. South of Sarasota and north of Port Charlotte, Venice is a charming city with a perfectly casual atmosphere, beautiful beaches and many amenities. Venice was designed by the well-known city planner John Nolen in the 1920s and is known for its Italian architecture and landscaped open spaces. Its charming demeanor is further enhanced by the local art festivals and parades and the intimate nature of its neighborhoods. Venice Avenue is a broad boulevard lined with palms and boutiques, fine restaurants and sidewalk cafes.

Venice has a quaint downtown district, a yacht club, theater, a library, art center, hospitals, schools, restaurants, parks and the most beautiful beaches in Florida. It is close to I-75 and to local airports and features many recreational and picnic areas, swimming, boating and fishing, as well as the all-important Floridian sport of golf. Venice even has it own small airport, primarily for private planes.

The Waterford Golf Club is a favorite of regular golfers and appeals to golfers of all skill levels. It is listed among the top twenty golf courses in southwest Florida. With twenty-seven holes of deep green fairways, water and hazards, you will never be bored playing on these three 9 -hole courses.

Venice beaches are known world-wide for fossil collecting and sharks teeth, and you will often see tourists and residents alike, combing the white sand for treasure. With its Mediterranean style buildings, date palms and languid, deep blue waters Venice will take you back in time to a simpler lifestyle. Hang out at the fishing pier and sample some of the local fare and have a cocktail at the Tiki Bar of the famous Sharky’s Restaurant, or linger by the South Jetty and watch the sunset as the surf rolls in over Venice Beach. In Venice you can hang out on fourteen beaches, spend an evening at the Venice Little Theater and visit the Venice Arts Center.

The Venice area is comprised of five communities - Venice, Nokomis, South Venice, Osprey and Laurel. Many homes in the Venice area reflect the Mediterranean architecture of the city of Venice. Here you can find moderately priced homes, condominiums, and grand upscale estate homes. It is home to young families, singles, seniors and winter residents.

Surrounding Venice are the gated communities of Pelican Pointe Golf and Country Club, Calusa Lakes, Venetian Golf and River Club, Waterford Golf Club and Venice Golf and Country Club. Other neighborhoods include Bayshore Estates, Chestnut Creek, Eagle Point Club, Portofino, Myakka River Trail, Jacaranda West, Sawgrass and Stoneybrook of Venice.

South Venice Beach is just south of the city and has a community park, boat ramp and ferry service to a private beach. The community homeowner association is voluntary and the community owns 1,300 of deeded beach land and is not deed restricted. South Venice Beach is the largest neighborhood in Sarasota County with approximately 8,000 homes and home sites, nature trails, tennis, a clubhouse and a basketball court.

Venice Gardens is located within ten minutes of Venice beaches. The community has a voluntary homeowner association, a large sparkling pool and a community clubhouse. Some Venice Garden homes are located on the small lakes that dot the community. Many homes have private docks. This established community is a favorite of seniors and first-time buyers because of the amenities and the reasonable home prices.

Ventura Village is a gated community that features a large, lovely swimming pool and clubhouse, ponds, lighted walkways, wetland preserves and is only five minutes from the beach, marinas, shopping and dining. The community offers both paired villas and single-family homes.

Bay Street Villages is a new mixed-use condominium community with beautifully landscaped, well-maintained buildings, lake views, and landscaped walkways, all within walking distance to restaurants and shopping. This community is certified by the Florida Green Building Coalition and the U.S. Green Building Council.

In Venice and the surrounding communities, you can find any size home or condo, waterfront or golfing neighborhoods or small vacation homes.

VENICE
Bellagio on the Island of Venice -Gated
Bird Bay -Golf
Capri Isles -Golf
Cedar Ridge
Chestnut Creek
Eagle Pointe Club -Waterfront, Gated
Jacaranda West Country Club -Golf
Lake Geraldine -Gated, Equestrian
Lakes of Jacaranda
Lake of the Woods
Myakka River Trails -Gated, Equestrian
Pelican Pointe Golf & Country Club -Golf, Gated
Pinebrook
Plantation Golf & Country Club -Golf
Sarasota National -Golf, Gated
Sawgrass
Stoneybrook of Venice
Southwood
Venetia -Gated
Venetian Falls -Gated
Venetian Golf & River Club -Golf, Gated
Venice East Golf Club -Golf
Venice Golf & Country Club -Golf, Gated
Ventura Village -Gated
Waterford Golf Club -Golf
Willow Springs

Old 04-06-2008, 10:05 PM

354 posts, read 1,268,468 times
Default South Venice

In this discussion - South Venice always gets overlooked. The City Of Venice is what people always think about. South Venice is in between Englewood and the City of Venice. There are some gated communities but most of South Venice is non deed-restricted or no HOA. I live very close to So. Venice beach ferry and for the most part its a good neighborhood. Now being non-HOA you can end up with all kinds of neighbors but it also gives me freedom.
Price range can be $129-$500k in my hood.

My buddy just looked at a very nice house near manasota beach. That would be my next move if I was upgrading.

If you are a true beach bum you will want to stay closer to englewood beach and North on rt 776 all. Englewood beach is in Charlotte County and you have to pay to park (cheap). More locals from PC go there because they don't have a beach. You go north to middle beach and then manasota in Sarasaota county (free beach). Then farther north to all the Venice beaches
I don't know any thing about Englewood Isles but I have driven through Over Brook next door - I liked it.

Rent 1st - plenty to look at and then buy.....

Old 04-07-2008, 12:30 AM

384 posts, read 986,599 times
wow ... this is great information. I think I now know my east coast and west coast locales that I want to explore more for property!

Old 04-07-2008, 05:20 AM

66 posts, read 281,266 times
When we researched this area for our future retirement home (and it is a retirement area) we first wanted Venice. When we purchased the lots were about 30% higher here than Englewood. South Venice is wells & septic - not for us.

Grove City is right next to the gulf and Lemon bay but it is really old and tired.

After reading about the high home owners ins. we decided to avoid any flood zone area but we wanted to be close the gulf.

We bought in Englewood just north of Rotonda (which is beautiful but expensive) off of McCall. It's perfect for us. We got a big corner lot and will build as soon as we can afford to. Be sure to check out the scrub jay issue if you want to build.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:46 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,819,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne1125 View Post
... South Venice is wells & septic - not for us.
Anne brought up a very important issue (well it was for us) and that is water service. Before you buy investigate the water quality. MANY areas are on well/septic. I have no problem with septic but the water quality is very important.

You will find homes not on city water equipped with RO (reverse osmosis) systems because the well water is not fit to drink. It can have so much iron that it discolors clothes. As time goes on water availability will mean a lot in Florida. Droughts are becoming common and wells can run dry. That's bad anyway you look at it.

Englewood is unique in that it is split between Charlotte and Sarasota counties. Charlotte Co. Water Dept had so much water it was able to "sell" it to other locales. It is also excellent tasting water (although I just read that Boca Grande to the south won the taste test this year ).

These are things realtors won't discuss up front unless you ask.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:54 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,487,504 times
some areas of Venice have "bad" water--water that is caustic to plumbing pipes--my daughter and sil live in condo that had to have all piping replaced about two years ago--it was expensive and they had to move out of their unit for about a month and half while their part of the bldg was being remodeled---and they have city water

so ask about that--you see every once in a while houses on MLS in Venice that say pipes replaced--that is why
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area