Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 06:55 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,045,739 times

Advertisements

I'm a teacher in NJ with a Master's in Early Childhood education. I've thought about the possibility of moving to the Sarasota area and maybe opening my own daycare center either at a separate location or at home. I know that I could provide quality education and care for children between the ages of 2-5 in a more intimate setting.

I just wonder if anyone else has done this or is there a lot of red tape to opening one like there is up here in NJ?

Would parents prefer a smaller setting of less than 10 children as opposed to a larger daycare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 07:33 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,547,697 times
Here is the Florida web site for information about opening a day care facility - Florida Department of Children and Families

Old 07-03-2012, 09:55 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
No offense but I'd be very hesitant about leaving my child with someone who just moved to the area.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
No offense but I'd be very hesitant about leaving my child with someone who just moved to the area.
WHy? Just because someone has lived there a longer length of time doesn't mean the care would be any better. It all depends on the person. If anything, I would probably be offering more incentives to build the business and I would run it like a classroom with structured activities, not just a daycare.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
WHy? Just because someone has lived there a longer length of time doesn't mean the care would be any better. It all depends on the person. If anything, I would probably be offering more incentives to build the business and I would run it like a classroom with structured activities, not just a daycare.
For some reason, Florida attracts the crazies. That is why.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:38 PM

Well that's just a very ignorant statement. No wonder Florida struggles

Old 07-04-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
Well that's just a very ignorant statement. No wonder Florida struggles
It's not an ignorant statement. Turn on the news. Whatever weirdo crime is happening, many times it is in Florida. While other states certainly have their fair share of crime, Florida is a highly populated state and because of the year round warm weather, attracts many dubious people who look at it as being the greener grass.

I love Florida and wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:50 PM

547 posts, read 926,622 times
I think you could be successful, if you can afford to start small and grow. My initial questions / thoughts would be.

Would you be working alone?
Who takes over when you are ill? On vacation?

Old 07-05-2012, 06:05 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,547,697 times
Raven - you would also want to see about transferring your teacher certification to Florida. Here are the requirements for Florida - Educator Certification

Old 07-05-2012, 10:15 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,415,303 times
The location where you set up shop would be important too. You'd need to do some research to try to target the areas with good proximity to where the young professional families live, or where there are a higher number of young children needing care.

You may also wish to target a niche market, like teachers, where you would care for their young children for 9 months of the year and have the summer off. Many teachers I know in WI do not want to commit to enrolling in year-round care, and I don't see why it would be substantially different in FL.

Also, your decision to rent vs. buy a home may be greatly impacted. I would guess many landlords would not be comfortable with you running a home daycare out of their rental property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area