Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 04:28 PM

697 posts, read 1,169,713 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move back to SW Florida in next 30 days. We just accepted an offer on our home up here in Chattanooga and if everything goes well, should be out in August. We used to live in Englewood five years ago and loved it. We lived right off Dearborn and loved then small main street town type living. However, it wasn't the greatest for our son to find friends to play with. He is 10 now and we are thinking of moving a little North of there..like Parrish (my mom lives there) or Sarasota.

Our dilemma is that my wife and I HATE HOA's!. Moreover, I've read in this forum the horro stories of Places like Lakewwod Ranch...and their HOA issues. Now, I don't want to start a bashing or get anyone mad about any one development....my point is that I own a commercial van (no signs on side though)....I like to work on a car every now and then and we have friends with campers/ 30 foot Winnebagos and would prefer to be able to accommodate then when we can.

Can we find homes built after 2003 in areas that have no HOA's?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 04:42 PM

233 posts, read 720,679 times
Lakewood Ranch is a bit like "The Stepford Wives". My niece lives there and she likes it OK, but purchased way over her head. It was all about the kids and status. The restrictions are tremendous. Just ask for the documents and you will see that. There are plenty of places that are not that restrictive, but many of the newer developments do have at least an HOA, but not CDD. I can't thing of anything newer that doesn't have and HOA. You may want to look into Twin Rivers or Kingsfield/Kingsfield Lakes. We didn't like Kingsfield due to the builder, but there are some very good values in that subdivision. Price range?

Old 07-08-2012, 04:52 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,546,851 times
Yes, there are homes that meet that criteria with no HOA's in North Port which is southern Sarasota County.

It is located in Sarasota County School District and there are lots of things for kids age 10 to do.

Here is a link to the City of North Port Parks and Rec. North Port is designated as a Playful City USA community. North Port, FL : Parks & Recreation

City of North Port - www.cityofnorthport.com

Sarasota County Schools - Sarasota County Schools, Home

Search for Homes - Florida Homes for Sale direct from MLS

Old 07-08-2012, 05:01 PM

233 posts, read 720,679 times
North Port could be the better option.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:11 PM

TamRE, we prefer not to go to North Port...I fly almost weekly..so close (relative term I guess) to Tampa Airport..SRQ even if need be. Price range would be below $250,000. We are not in a hurry and would love to happen upon a Homepath, Foreclosure or short sale. I am handy and have seen how many builders build homes in Florida (we built our home in Englewood).

I prefer an ICF home with sealed attic/icylene foam. Was thinking of purchasing land and seeing what the rates would be to build if need be.

This will be our fourth home in 18 years and we plan to stay here for at least 8 years until our son graduates....so we will take our time on this one. We can stay at our Mom's rent free until we find a home...although we really don't want to stay there too long...lol

Old 07-08-2012, 05:22 PM

North Port has the most options, but if that is not what you want, here are the only listings that came up without an HOA with your search criteria. You can use the MLS to search yourself to see what you can find.

Sarasota/Manatee County for 1800-2200 sqft home WITHOUT deed restrictions...is it possible?-non-hoa-homes.jpg

Old 07-08-2012, 05:51 PM

Thanks Tam..what about land maybe in Parrish and building?

Old 07-09-2012, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyChief View Post
Thanks Tam..what about land maybe in Parrish and building?
Not sure what your price range is for a lot. Here are some vacant lots for sale in Parrish up to $100k, not in an HOA community.
Sarasota/Manatee County for 1800-2200 sqft home WITHOUT deed restrictions...is it possible?-parrish-lots.jpg

Old 07-09-2012, 07:51 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Can understand the desire to not be under the thumb of an HOA but just make sure you would be happy buying/building home in area where there are basically only county building standards--
those are usually the lowest of the low with very minimal restrictions--
sounds fine until your neighbor(s) break even those standards...
and some of them will
We looked at homes in south Venice/Englewood area when we were looking and weren't comfortable with the wide range of maintenance, sq ft home size, and general lack of upkeep in some areas
We have lived in Houston where there are very minimal building/zoning standards unless you are in an HOA--and many areas suffer from too much freedom

Some people can set high standards for themselves and maintain their home as well as any HOA might ask-
but some people have no desire to have any rules--and that shows up in ways that can impact other people's values and enjoyment...
I would say find an area with reasonable rules because no rules to me is asking for trouble

Old 07-09-2012, 08:37 PM

Loves2read - aka kindlekiller

We've thought much about it..of course you are correct about neighbors and the general area. Among the possible hell an HOA can lay wrath upon an individual (and in Florida the HOA will ALWAYS trump the homeowner), I prefer to keep any monthly cost as controlled as possible (understand utilities will vary)...but HOA's can increase yearly....to the point xx amount of years later your paying a pretty penny..even IF your home is paid off.

It's a trade off, and many of what you said is true...this is why we will be taking our time looking...hopefully we'll get a good agent that will understand our concerns, needs and desires and be wanting to really work for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area