U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2012, 02:40 PM

9 posts, read 21,011 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am starting a job in Riverview in January. I'm a bit disappointed in the two Catholic High School offerings in Tampa, so I looked a bit farther and found Cardinal Mooney in Sarasota. It matches my kids' interests (arts, music) much better than the Tampa schools.
My question is: Is it straight-up crazy to consider living somewhere inbetween? Would that just make both the work commute and the school commute long?
If we did live somewhere in between, what would be a good family area? Bradenton? Palmetto? Ellenton? We can afford up to $2400/month for rent, and there are five of us.
Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 03:01 PM

547 posts, read 832,239 times
CM has always had a stellar reputation. Can't go wrong there. As far as the SRQ - Riverview drive, I made it yesterday. Traffic was moderate at it took 45 minutes from Sarasota.
To me it makes sense for the kids to be closer to school and suck up the work commute. Plenty of nice areas just off of the Interstate, to help make the commute a bit easier.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:46 PM

9 posts, read 21,011 times
Hi Picshooter, thanks for responding. What would you say are those nice areas off of the interstate? Is Ellenton an area with family neighborhoods? I've been reading about Lakewood Ranch and I'm frightened by the deed restrictions. We have a little one with autism, and he needs a fenced-in yard. I don't think that kind of thing wold be allowed there or in Greyhawk Landing.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:40 AM

547 posts, read 832,239 times
You really need to visit for a few days and look around.By yourself and then with a realtor. What you need and like will most likely be polar the opposite of my life.
We live VERY modestly in the city of Sarasota. 5 minutes from Mooney or SHS, close to downtown and our jobs. No deed restrictions, only city code.
Re Ellenton: My opinion is that there are plenty of nice newer homes. My wife has friends there. Totally underwater and ready to walk away. Personally I would choose Sarasota, especially if your kids will go to school here.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:16 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,635,618 times
We live in Lakewood Ranch and my daughter went to Mooney. That was far enough from my point of view but I recall that she had a friend who lived about forty minutes away. So, I guess it is possible but I would not suggest it. It makes logistics more difficult, it complicates after school activities, it makes friendships harder, it will be harder to find ride-sharing opportunities, and most importantly (in my over-protective way of thinking) it puts them on the road once they can drive for longer distances and longer periods including when it is dark.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:14 AM

46 posts, read 73,703 times
I went to CM many yrs ago. We had many friends who came from bradenton to there. So, you may be able to find ppl willing to car pool or even a bus?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area