Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 04:00 AM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times

Advertisements

I can't leave PA just yet. Trust me things are going on and I don't want to move my kids until they graduate.

I am very open minded and I love Florida. I could live anywhere that has a cool community. I'm not a snob but I have an education. When I'm around too many liberals I feel centrist.

Tea party types - NO.

I love the sun, psychic things, vintage and retro, reading, yoga, dance, the water and I'm a vegetarian but some vegetarians annoy me.

I am OK with a mobile but I'm not sure if I'd get along with others there.

Less expensive the better.

If you can help let me knoe.

After December 25, you can take winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 06:17 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,547,697 times
Are you looking to rent or buy a winter getaway? Check Vacation Rent by Owner web site for listings that match your price range. Not sure what "cheap" means to you. www.vrbo.com

Gillespie Park is a Vintage neighborhood in Sarasota - Vintage Florida Neighborhood - Gillespie Park, Sarasota, Historic Community, Real Estate, Central Florida, Sarasota Film Festival, Breakfast House, Honeygo Park, Best Places to Live, Top Places to Call Home, Retire | Florida Travel + Life

This community is within walking distance to downtown Sarasota, Whole Foods, the Farmer's Market. They have sidewalks and street lights. Most of the homes are cottages and bungalows built in the 20's, 30's and 40's.

Gillespie Park: http://www.sarasotagov.com/LivingInS...cGillPark.html

Last edited by TamRE; 07-16-2012 at 06:26 AM..

Old 07-16-2012, 07:05 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
I've seen condos in West Palm Beach really cheap. Many around $20,000.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:33 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I can't leave PA just yet. Trust me things are going on and I don't want to move my kids until they graduate.

I am very open minded and I love Florida. I could live anywhere that has a cool community. I'm not a snob but I have an education. When I'm around too many liberals I feel centrist.

Tea party types - NO.

I love the sun, psychic things, vintage and retro, reading, yoga, dance, the water and I'm a vegetarian but some vegetarians annoy me.

You would love the Sarasota area. I like the same things as you (except I'm NOT veggie ) Can't think of a better place to live (for myself and hubby). Not too many tea party types and not too many in-you-face liberals, just a happy medium. Good food scene with lots of organic options, but none of that over-the-top "crunchy" vibe (prevalent in Asheville, NC) Not sure if you are looking to buy or rent, but I could also suggest Bradenton which is just a few miles north of Sarasota, and basically part of the same market. There are more deals to be had there. Yes, people on this forum give it a bad rap for crime, but the crime is really confined to a few bad neighborhoods there. Sarasota has it's bad area too, as does EVERY single city/town in the US.

Both cities are known for the arts and have artist colonies. Bradenton's is actually larger. Sarasota and Bradenton were ranked #1 and #2 for best small cities for the arts by American Style Magazine:

Top 25 Small Cities for Art | AmericanStyle Magazine

Hope this helps, shoot me a DM if you have more specific questions.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:50 PM

1,580 posts, read 3,141,907 times
you say you are pretty open minded and then painted yourself into a very small box. and most of the people on this coast are tea party minded. while they will not say they belong to a tea party group, there are alot of veterans and other conservatives that want small government, low taxes and say screw the rest of the world. the opposite can be said for the east coast around boca raton and palm beach.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:51 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,678,432 times
First you must define what you mean by "cheap".. Sarasota is not the cheapest area to live in Florida but it's certainly one of the best

If you can "live & let live" than I think you can fit in just about anywhere in S. Florida. We are a huge melting pot.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:59 PM

7,928 posts, read 9,150,257 times
Quote:

Tea party types - NO.

What happened to PA? You were very excited to leave LI to move there.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:47 PM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
What happened to PA? You were very excited to leave LI to move there.
Nothing happened to PA. It's very inexpensive and plenty of people here have two homes.

In NY, one modest house cost 400K - In PA one house 100K.

Winters are getting to me.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:26 PM

1,580 posts, read 3,141,907 times
what is your definition of cheap?

Old 07-17-2012, 04:01 PM

398 posts, read 822,275 times
Quote:
Nothing happened to PA. It's very inexpensive and plenty of people here have two homes.

In NY, one modest house cost 400K - In PA one house 100K.

Winters are getting to me.
What price point are you interested in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area