Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2012, 09:13 PM

54 posts, read 110,857 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I just moved to Sarasota and have so far been loving the culinary experience. However I am trying to find the best stores to buy ethnic-specific foods or specialty foods so that I can make the best dinners. I know how to use the search function here and on google so I'll spare you with the usual questions. I have checked out a few stores here and there but would like a better consensus of what everyone likes. So far here is what I found:

Asian:

Vung Tau Oriental Market

Vung Tau Oriental Market - Sarasota, FL Patch
Vietnamese food mostly. Great selection including some freshly made items. I can't wait to try them! However many things on the shelves are not exactly fresh. This store may not get a lot of turn around on the stocked noodles/rice/cans and perhaps won't be the best to bring home.

Oriental Food & Gifts
Oriental Food & Gifts - Sarasota, FL
Great store, great food, fresh, but very limited selection. Mostly Korean/Japanese so many things you might be looking for that is specialty might be missing. This store could be my favorite if it had a few more things from the Viet/Thai region.

Hispanic:

Bianca’s Mexican Store
Bianca's Mexican Store - Sarasota, FL Patch
Bigger selection and fresher food than most of the other Hispanic stores we checked out.

We are on a quest to find the best freshly made tortillas and this store was quite disappointing.We come from a small town (Clearwater, FL) and we had a much better selection of authentic Mexican tortillas thanks this. The kind that melts in your mouth...

Italian:

Piccolo Italian Market & Deli
Piccolo Italian Market and Deli | Sarasota | Venice | Bradenton
Pretty nice, but limited selection. The cold cuts are nice looking, but really only one of each. The canned/bottled items looks ok, but again very limited.

European:

A Taste of Europe
Sarasota Taste of Europe - International food market, Sarasota FL
Looks like an eastern European food store. Decent grocery selection, perhaps a bit old with items. In fact some cold cuts look grey and very OLD.

Scandinavian South
Scandinavian Gifts Baked Goods & Grocery. Discounts.
Pretty disappointing in terms of food. Has a lot of items but nothing freshly baked, everything is refrigerated of frozen. My wife is Swedish and we would appreciate knowing a better Scandinavian store in the area.

Specialty:

Penzeys Spices
Penzeys Spices. Over 250 Spices, Herbs and Seasonings.
What an amazing store. Sure the spices might be more expensive than the grocery McCormicks selection but boy is it worth it! You can smell the difference!

Artisan Cheese Company

artisancheesecompany
Great store, amazing selection and lets you taste any cheese you want, which is VERY rare in my experience.

So what else is out there?? Please let me know I would like to make a nice list for everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 06:51 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
For Mexican, try this place (Acapulco Tropical) - it is in Bradenton: They also have a Mexican deli in back. I haven't tried it, but it is immensely popular:

Supermarket Acapulco Tropical - Hispanic (Mexican) & Caribbean Food in Bradenton - YouTube

For Asian, try Wong Kai Imports in Bradenton. Can't find a web page, but here is the Yelp review page:

Wong Kai Imports Inc - Bradenton, FL

You might also want to check out this website (Edible Sarasota) It will have articles and links to a lot of great stuff.

Edible Sarasota Magazine - Celebrating the Gulf Coast's Food Culture Season by Season - Local Food Magazine of Sarasota Florida

Happy eating!

Old 07-27-2012, 07:12 AM

54 posts, read 110,857 times
Thank you for the quick reply. I forgot the mention that I want to keep this strictly in Sarasota. Though that Mexican place looks amazing and I'll give it a shot on the weekend.

I did look through the Edible Sarasota Magazine before but it's hard to sift through to find different stores. It seems to be more articles (and great ones) and recipes (good ones also).

Perhaps, I may even start my own website with this sort of focus on local markets since there isn't something like that out there yet. That could be fun!

Old 07-27-2012, 11:15 AM

509 posts, read 907,170 times
Acapulcco topical has THE best guacamole I have ever had. Made fresh all day every day, so are their tortillas, I've gone there for years. The bakery is good if you like Mexican pastries. Not my thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area