U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 05:15 AM

21 posts, read 41,668 times

Advertisements

Which parts of Sarasota County or Manatee County are best for a single guy, 39, to relocate, when wanting to get married in the next year? Im moving into FL from out of state. I want to be able to meet younger single women. Which area or city within those 2 counties should I consider? I dont have children, but would like to begin soon.

Im not into drinking alcohol, but I do like to dance 2 person dancing, jogging, running, bicycling. I work at home, so commuting is not an issue.

I am looking to buy a home or condo with no HOA, $150,000 or less, with a 2 car garage, no pool. Im a cash buyer, no financing needed. A secluded, quiet street would be ideal. I dont want to be on a noisy busy street or next to a business or apartments.

Its ok for realtors to contact me. Id prefer to buy as soon as possible
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 05:40 AM

3,979 posts, read 9,589,741 times
You will not get a condo without an HOA fee. There are 126 single family homes in Sarasota and Manatee under $150k with a 2 car garage and no pool. Most of the homes are in North Port in that price range but there are quite a few older homes in Sarasota and Venice too. You can search the MLS for listings at Florida Homes for Sale direct from MLS

Old 07-28-2012, 05:53 AM

Which area would be better for meeting single women that have no children?

Thanks for the link. The search options are lame. Even Zillow allows you to search by sq ft size, lot size, age of home, etc.

What site allows you to search for 2+ car garage? I need a useful site to narrow down better. Seeing 1000 homes, many of which dont fit my requirements overwhelms me and prevents me from buying anything.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:26 AM

11,771 posts, read 11,019,260 times
I wouldn't rule out having an HOA. Some very great neighborhoods have minuscule yearly ones.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:51 AM

3,925 posts, read 5,921,119 times
You appear to have 2 separate goals in moving to the Sarasota area. It may be difficult to tie the 2 objectives together in your home purchase. You may find it easier to find a neighborhood/home you like and then concentrate on joining groups centered around your activities for socializing.

Blueherons makes a good point that not all HOAs have excessive deed restrictions or high fees. You'll find that there are neighborhoods that are somewhat older, built in the 1980's or earlier, that have HOAs that typically have restrictions limited to a page or two of mostly basic rules that mostly fall under county property standards anyway.

The inventory of 3 bedroom, 2 bath homes with 2 car garages is definitely low at the moment. New listings, especially if they are not short sales, tend to go under contract quickly if the homes are in good condition. Short sales typically take a minimum of 3 months (usually more) from contract to closing because the seller has to get approval from their lien holders for the sale and some banks are notoriously slow for processing files.

How quickly do you need to close on a home? Would a short sale be a workable option for you?

What other features are you looking for in a home? Updated kitchen and baths a must or are you willing to do some renovations later on? Do you need a split floor plan (master bedroom separate from the others)? How large a home are you looking for? 3 bdrm homes here can be as small as 1200 sq ft, what size would be your ideal? What size yard are you looking for? Typically the newer homes in your price range in our area will be on small lots, the 60's - 80's built homes tend to be on 7500 sq ft or larger lots.

If you can provide a little more information as to what specifically you're searching for, I can suggest some neighborhoods in both Sarasota and Bradenton within your price range.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:13 PM

419 posts, read 846,192 times
Did you have a specific height or weight in the women you wish to meet? ....hair color, eye color? ...owning a pet or not?...
(just having a little fun, lol)

Old 07-28-2012, 10:18 PM

Neighborhood safe, quiet, not on a busy street is probably #1, not next to businesses or high traffic places like apartments.
Beyond that Ive heard horror stories about HOA's but I suppose w light restrictions a HOA might work.
A secluded home, back from the street, or on a cul-de-sac, or hidden behind trees would be ideal.
Smaller home on a larger lot would be preferred.
Ive like to move in right away, but I could wait a few months. Move in ready is better, but if I like the home/neighborhood, I can do a fixer upper. The way I see it is you can change the inside of the home farr easier than you can change the quality of all your neighbors.

Brucerby, maybe you are half-joking, but Im serious. Ideally about 5'8", slim, dark hair, but if shes shorter or fatter or blonder, Im not close-minded to that. Very important is that she is sincere, honest, caring, with a good heart.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:28 PM

11,771 posts, read 11,019,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newman10 View Post
A secluded home, back from the street, or on a cul-de-sac, or hidden behind trees would be ideal.
That sounds just a tad bit creepy.

Have you tried dating sites? What about religeous institutions? You can attend their singles meet and greets without being a member. Also, Meetup.com is usually a great resource.

Take up running or biking and join a running or biking club.

Do you have any hobbies? Go in that direction.

Also, get out and attend things. Meet people, tell people you are looking. Everyone likes playing matchmaker.

Good luck!

Old 07-28-2012, 11:27 PM

5,346 posts, read 7,286,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newman10 View Post
Neighborhood safe, quiet, not on a busy street is probably #1, not next to businesses or high traffic places like apartments.
Beyond that Ive heard horror stories about HOA's but I suppose w light restrictions a HOA might work.
Smaller home on a larger lot would be preferred.
Ive like to move in right away, but I could wait a few months. Move in ready is better, but if I like the home/neighborhood, I can do a fixer upper. The way I see it is you can change the inside of the home farr easier than you can change the quality of all your neighbors.

Brucerby, maybe you are half-joking, but Im serious. Ideally about 5'8", slim, dark hair, but if shes shorter or fatter or blonder, Im not close-minded to that. Very important is that she is sincere, honest, caring, with a good heart.
Wow....the whole thing sounds strange to me. A house that's "hidden behind trees"....I don't think I've ever seen anyone ask for that and it sounds hinky. And what was wrong with the link provided to you by TamRE? It doesn't come up with thousands of homes and you CAN whittle down the search by garage. Plus you're almost 40 but want a younger woman with no kids who will marry you within a year....oh, and hopefully is 5'8, dark hair, slim, blah blah. Picky...and unrealistic.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:43 AM

So, if someone wants to live on a quiet cul-de-sac or on a larger lot set back from the road, because they want a safer, lower crime area, to raise a future family, they are creepy? That doesn't make sense.

Let's get back to finding the right neighborhood instead of the illogical name-calling.

"Plus you're almost 40 but want a younger woman with no kids who will marry you within a year....oh, and hopefully is 5'8, dark hair, slim, blah blah. Picky...and unrealistic."

Most guys prefer a younger woman, not older. It's out of line to be criticizing me for answering Brucerby's question. Would it make you feel better if I lied and said I prefer a woman obese, stupid, and with 8 kids already? No offense to the woman that are that, I simply dont find it attractive. The same as finding the perfect house, you might not get exactly what you want. However, its useful to state your goals so that other people can point you in the right direction.

Last edited by newman10; 07-29-2012 at 07:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area