Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2012, 12:53 PM

4,615 posts, read 7,537,235 times

Advertisements

I had heard that some of the Willowbrook condominium units were dealing with the builder regarding issues with their units, but was not aware until reading this story in the Bradenton Herald today how widespread the complaints are:

Willowbrook residents ask KB Home to buy back their condos at Lakewood Ranch

By JAMES A. JONES Jr. — jajones1@bradenton.com

LAKEWOOD RANCH -- Frustrated residents of Lakewood Ranch's 272-unit Willowbrook condo neighborhood say they want KB Home to buy back their condos, pointing to construction flaws, water damage, mold and balcony floors that are sagging or have fallen through.

Read more here: http://www.bradenton.com/2012/08/02/4139297/willowbrook-residents-ask-kb-home.html#storylink=cpy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 07:15 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,741,856 times
I had the same experience. When they were being built, I went over there and noticed that the 2x4s for the framing looked very rough like they were the cheapest quality they could get. The workmanship also looked rough. Fast forward and the people I talked with who bought in there were pretty happy about it so I thought I was probably wrong. Then I met a couple of people who had very negative experiences including one who had an absolute horror story to tell. I guess it was more widespread than I thought.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:30 AM

4,615 posts, read 7,537,235 times
Latest update on the Willowbrook situation: Willowbrook residents in Manatee facing long fight with developer | Real Estate | Bradenton Herald

The end of the article mentions this was KB Home's first venture into Manatee county. KB Home is also building single family homes in the Sterling Lake subdivision in Bradenton, off of Lockwood Ridge Rd.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:51 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,741,856 times
Maybe the residents of the condos should regularly visit the models at Sterling Lake. They might find more cooperation over there.

I'll say this much. Right now if a buyer asks me, as their Realtor, about KB Home, I'll be talking about their poor quality and lack of responsiveness. KB Home has the absolute ability to change that narrative to one of a company that stepped up and backed their product without question but the window for that conversation is rapidly closing.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:37 PM

28 posts, read 69,707 times
I'm going to go out on a limb slightly. I did not have or do not currently have anything to do with KB homes in anyway. I find a lot of the slap them up builders such as KB homes and others have had a number of issues. Right now I live in St. Johns county (just south of JAX, FL) and all many of the developers such as KB homes and others (which I wont name) seem to want to just get them built with the minimal amount of material and structural aspects, etc. but they will spend money on the inside (because that's what people "see").

Its a real shame I see this everywhere. I had hired a GC for a 2 Mil plus house and he as well did not oversee it, he just wanted his cost plus money (20% at time) so eventually fired his "you know what".

So in general all have to be careful with all builders regardless... Just my 2 cents.

I will say I am building with Medallion Homes in Bradenton and so far I have been very happy. I am not promoting them per se, just going by experiences I have had. I have owned many houses, but most were bought not "new" through builder. Since In FL this will be my 4th adventure buying new... Certainly there were some issues (which I think building with anyone there will always be something). So far they (Medallion) has come through to rectify the issue and that's all I can ask for. I have not moved in yet, suppose to close next week. So I will update my thoughts once I move in and go through punch out list, etc.

I hope the people of Willowbrook win in what ever they decide to do. I endorse them to keep fighting. Its a real shame that we have come to this state with virtually many, many builders and companies (not just builders but many other fields). Seems like no one cares anymore about quality work or products or ...

Just like the Chinese drywall issues, etc. you would think with the building codes that they have that things would be much better. But they have gotten worse over last 30 years. No one cares about quality. Sure, on paper engineering wise it passes but was it built that way? supposedly yes... But what about the elements of nature??? we know so much about rain yet we don't implement those really in the codes.

With today's nohow, we should never be seeing these issues (unless unique) of any of this building stuff, regardless of if it is residential, condos, commercial, etc.

Sorry for the rant, it just burns my "butt". Hope I can say that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area