U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 04:40 PM

43 posts, read 57,128 times

Advertisements

I've been talking to some people on here about different areas of Florida. I'm a single male,37,and have no kids. Can I get into a decent neighborhood if I spend 75,000-80,000 on a house or condo in the Sarasota area? Also I will be graduating from college with a degree in Computer Application Technology next year, how's the job market in Sarasota for someone with a degree in Computer Science? Could someone on here give me some zipcodes for good areas in my price range? Thank you all in advance for the replies.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 05:31 PM

279 posts, read 528,435 times
i'm thinking tampa or st pete may be better for you or north sarasota maybe.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoOsprey View Post
i'm thinking tampa or st pete may be better for you or north sarasota maybe.
Been talking to some people about tampa they said condo's would be the way to go their, which is fine by me. Can you maybe give me a little info on st pete, and north sarasota? Why would those be a better fit for me? Thank for the reply also

Old 08-27-2012, 05:56 PM

i'm not an expert but i'd say if you already had a tech job or could telecommute you'd do better here. i said north sarasota because you could consider commuting to st pete and tampa from there but you wouldn't want to from south sarasota. have you started researching available jobs in your field in this area? broaden your search to tampa and st pete and see if you have more options, i don't know anything about condos or houses in that price range though so i can't help you there!

good luck!

Old 08-27-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoOsprey View Post
i'm not an expert but i'd say if you already had a tech job or could telecommute you'd do better here. i said north sarasota because you could consider commuting to st pete and tampa from there but you wouldn't want to from south sarasota. have you started researching available jobs in your field in this area? broaden your search to tampa and st pete and see if you have more options, i don't know anything about condos or houses in that price range though so i can't help you there!

good luck!
I see, do you think you could give me a zip code for south Sarasota? I live in Michigan and don't know the zips for the counties. Thanks again for the reply.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:34 AM

you can google that sort of thing - zip code maps by county for anywhere are available. I found this
Sarasota County - Florida Zip Code Boundary Map (FL)

Old 08-28-2012, 06:45 AM

5,640 posts, read 9,555,605 times
The public side of our MLS is www.MyFloridaHomeMLS.com and you can do some fairly detailed searches, including map type searches. You can also get a feel for the areas you are considering by using CrimeMapping.com - National Map .

I don't really know much about your area of employment but, in a general way, I'd suggest that you might be better off trying to find a job anywhere first and then worry about finding a good place to live within a reasonable commute. The economy is still pretty rough.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:59 AM

3,894 posts, read 5,836,933 times
Hi Mike,

I can give you a list of neighborhoods and areas that would fall within your price range if you wish to find a home or condo now. Trying to search by zip codes is difficult because most zip codes in our area have a wide diversity of neighborhoods and home prices within each code.

However, you may find it better to find a job first and then find a rental near your job. As you become more familiar with the areas near work you could then determine which neighborhoods you'd like to purchase a home or condo in.

By the way, if you're planning to buy a condo in the Sarasota - Bradenton area, only a small handful of condo communities will meet the current requirements for mortgages. All of the other condo sales in our area are to cash buyers as financing is not an option.

Good luck with your job search.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:18 PM

53 posts, read 116,926 times
Hey Mike,
Sunshine Rules make a valid point. You should rent first and then look into buying into an area later near the job you get. Try the hospital, www.smh.com or surrounding ones for possible jobs in IT. Not sure if that is what you are looking for. If you want near downtown try the 34237 area code or 34236 I think is downtown Sarasota. Beware of looking for stuff for rent or sale on Craigslist...alot of scams! Hope this helps! I've been in this area for years so if you have any questions I'll try to help you out!
J

Old 08-28-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijolee View Post
Hey Mike,
Sunshine Rules make a valid point. You should rent first and then look into buying into an area later near the job you get. Try the hospital, www.smh.com or surrounding ones for possible jobs in IT. Not sure if that is what you are looking for. If you want near downtown try the 34237 area code or 34236 I think is downtown Sarasota. Beware of looking for stuff for rent or sale on Craigslist...alot of scams! Hope this helps! I've been in this area for years so if you have any questions I'll try to help you out!
J
I plan on taking a 3 week vacation and visiting Sarasota,checking out the area, then looking for work, and then paying cash for a place if I like it, or have a job. I got about a year and half before this all comes to. As far as working at the hospital, that probably won't happen. My degree does more with Computer Applications such as, Internet Web creation and design, Microsoft Office, computer programming, photoshop, networking, and a few other applications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area