Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 08:34 AM

74 posts, read 132,622 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving to Venice or Sarasota. I have 3 little Chihuahuas and one outdoor cat. They will be living in the fenced back yard during the day and go inside at night time. I just read about monitor lizards in the area, will my dogs be safe in a fenced yard, if anything happens to them my husband will be heart broken, not to mention that he will never forgive me for the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 08:53 AM

279 posts, read 577,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joycey1000 View Post
I am thinking of moving to Venice or Sarasota. I have 3 little Chihuahuas and one outdoor cat. They will be living in the fenced back yard during the day and go inside at night time. I just read about monitor lizards in the area, will my dogs be safe in a fenced yard, if anything happens to them my husband will be heart broken, not to mention that he will never forgive me for the move.
no, they need to be indoors during the day. My cousin's small dog was picked up by a large bird and lucky for them it was dropped a few yards over! also bobcats, fire ants, and other hazards - not to mention the heat! Please don't leave your dogs out or let your cat roam! You'd be better leaving them in a screened lanai if possible. Is there a reason they can't be indoors during the day?

Old 09-04-2012, 08:57 AM

279 posts, read 577,805 times
I was at a dog training session in a grassy yard that was cared for and known fire ant areas treated but one poor little dog got swarmed with fire ants - it was terrible! I'm always extra cautious when I take my dog out in the yard but you can't always know where they might come up. I can't imagine a poor little dog's condition if he was bitten all day also we have bobcats so i wouldn't leave my little guy out there alone! gators aren't a problem where I live but when I lived near a pond one walked across the road and up into a neighbors driveway. are you near water?

Old 09-04-2012, 10:06 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,550,239 times
It is not a good idea to leave any dog outside all day in this heat. Not only the heat, but there are several bugs, animals and critters that could harm your pets if you are not keeping an eye on them.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:05 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,373,994 times
I'll just repeat what the others said. Please don't leave your pets outside. It's too hot and too many critters that can harm them.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:25 AM

509 posts, read 907,304 times
Absolutely not. I don't think I've ever seen an outside dog while I've lived here in Florida, and thank God. The above comments are 100% correct.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:45 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
I agree with everyone else here, they will not be safe outside. My cats have two enclosed lanais that are all for them - tile floors, shaded and ceiling fans, one room is more rustic with mulch and stone floor, plants and see through roof. This is a happy compromise for them, and they are safe.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:23 AM

74 posts, read 132,622 times
Thank you so much for the information. It may seem like a stupid question, but I have never been to Florida, wanted to move there. Where I live there is no problem keeping my pets in the backyard all day long, I do check in on them several times a day and if anything goes wrong they will let me know !!! And they sleep indoors during night.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:50 AM

97 posts, read 275,208 times
Quote:
It may seem like a stupid question, but I have never been to Florida, wanted to move there.
I would suggest taking a visit first before making a move.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:53 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for the information. It may seem like a stupid question, but I have never been to Florida, wanted to move there. Where I live there is no problem keeping my pets in the backyard all day long, I do check in on them several times a day and if anything goes wrong they will let me know !!! And they sleep indoors during night.
Absolutely you cannot leave your animals outside all day. Not only is it horrific for them, I can promise you someone will call the authorities.

Outdoor cats have a much shorter life span than indoor cats.

Why do you have pets if you put them outside all day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area