Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 03:54 PM

279 posts, read 577,684 times

Advertisements

i went to the DMV on 301 (or in that area) and it was empty, nice people and super fast. i didn't have to do anything but pay a King's ransom to register my car but the license was easy-peasy. there was a very specific list of ID and things they needed if I recall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 03:55 PM

1,580 posts, read 3,141,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macyny View Post
Getting a Florida license is a real hassle! I've been here almost a year and still don't have it. You need birth certificate (orginal with raised stamp), proof of name change from the state you were married, social security card (not a copy), license from .

I had all my things in storage while looking for a house and couldn't locate my documents. Then when I finally got them, some were copies (marriage certificate, social), they wouldn't accept copies. I awaiting the marriage certificate to prove name change.

BTW, I won't be able to vote without the license. I'm just hoping its not too late.

What a pain!
Do you like breaking the law? Will you be crying when you get caught? There is a time limit after moving here that you must get one.

Last edited by gettinoutofjersey; 09-04-2012 at 04:03 PM..

Old 09-04-2012, 03:56 PM

279 posts, read 577,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinoutofjersey View Post
if you have an out of state license, go to the county office and fill out the paperwork, give them the required id along with your out of state license and take the vision test. you dont need to hear to drive, in fact in the case of most you dont even need to see.
i didn't think you had to be able to see to drive, i noticed the drive-thru ATM machines have brail on them

Old 09-04-2012, 06:40 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,075,211 times
New rules to get a new, re-new or transfer from another state.
You must show a birth certificate [or passport], SS card [or W-2, SSA 1099] marriage cert. showing name change, two documents showing your residential address. Pass a vision exam.
All details at gathergoget.com

Old 09-04-2012, 07:10 PM

398 posts, read 822,275 times
Thanks all. I have passport card and I have 2 documents showing me at new FL Address. Next I have to figure out how to change voter registration from up north to FL. How hard can registering to vote be in Sarasota County

Old 09-04-2012, 07:35 PM

82 posts, read 156,885 times
Getting a Florida drivers license, new title and a vehicle registration for an out of state person is VERY expensive! It cost me $460.15 last week.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:39 PM

30 posts, read 65,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSnowbirds View Post
Thanks all. I have passport card and I have 2 documents showing me at new FL Address. Next I have to figure out how to change voter registration from up north to FL. How hard can registering to vote be in Sarasota County
While they are processing your new FL drivers license they will ask you if you want to register to vote. They do all that right there. I just said yes and a few days later I got my voter registration confirmation in the mail. Super easy. I just did it 2 months ago at the Lakewood Ranch Tax collector location.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:45 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,044,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinoutofjersey View Post
i gotta say the venice office on tamiami across from walgreens has some of the most pleasant motor vehicle people i have ver encountered. the ones in nj were worse than a pissed off customs or tsa agent.
The NJ & NY Motor Vehicle people are former TSA people who were too grumpy to work for TSA. :-)

Old 09-07-2012, 11:58 AM

58 posts, read 113,364 times
Default The vision test?

Just curious......what's the vision test consist of?

Old 09-07-2012, 01:00 PM

1,580 posts, read 3,141,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboyway View Post
Just curious......what's the vision test consist of?
they got a little box on the counter that you look in one eye at a time and then both. similar to what they have at the eye dr. i was in there one day and this older woman, actually very old old woman, couldnt even stand up was there with a younger guy helping her stand. she took the test 4 or 5 times and then passed. and you guessed it she got her license. we now share the road with her, and the side walks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area