Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2012, 08:46 AM

28 posts, read 54,255 times

Advertisements

I am going to be at Holmes Beach on Oct. 6 for a week or so. I was wondering if you had any recommendations on things to do or places to see. Maybe even a event that is going on that is unique to the area.

Also I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for restaurants to check out. Note: I would rather go into a hidden gem than a classy ritzy place. As long as the places has a good atmosphere and a specialty: seafood, cajun cooking, some local flavor.

Also on the list of things I am looking for is a Steelers Bar. I know they are everywhere, but if you can recommend one that is easy to get to from Holmes Beach I would really appreciate it.

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 11:12 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,543,047 times
Not sure if you will still be there for this event.
12th Annual Bayfest- Friday, October 19, 2012 from 05:00 PM - 10:00 PM
Come to the island's largest, family music festival - A 2 Day Event (Friday night and Saturday all day). Featuring music from local area bands, an Island Food Court - featuring local island favorites, a Kids Zone with bounce houses, games and tons of kid fun, arts and crafts from local vendors, beer, wine, rum runners & more. This event, now in its 12th year is an island favorite, attracting locals and visitors from across the nation!! Admission is FREE to the public, with food, beverages and retail available for purchase. We look forward to seeing you there!!

You can check the local papers for info: http://www.islander.org/ or http://www.amisun.com/
Yoga on the beach – Saturday mornings at Pine Ave at 8:30am
Red Barn Farmers Market – Wed, Fri, Sat and Sun 8-4, 1707 First Street East, Bradenton
Pumpkin Festival, Hunsader Farms, Co. Road 675, Bradenton – weekends

Old 09-08-2012, 11:15 AM

4,612 posts, read 7,527,424 times
Anna Maria Island has lots of fun things to do and great little, local restaurants.

For things to do, some suggestions are:
Bradenton & Coquina beaches are beautiful, Coquina has a big picnic area and shade trees
segway tours
scooter or bike rentals
kayak tours
fishing/charter boats
dolphin tours
jet ski rentals
fishing off of the Anna Maria city pier (be sure to get your saltwater fishing license first)
just off the island 75th St. NW is the Desoto National Memorial and park
just off the island on Cortez is the Cortez fishing village
in downtown Bradenton you can visit Snooty the manatee at the Bishop Planetarium/So. FL Museum

Places to eat - there are lots, but here are some of the more popular dining options:
Blue Marlin Grill, Bradenton Beach - popular with locals & tourists for great food
Gulf Drive Cafe, Bradenton Beach
Peach's on Bay Drive - fab place
Beach House on Gulf Drive - live music, fantasic views
Rotten Ralph's, Anna Maria - lots of fun, good food
Banana Cabana, Bradenton Beach - fun place with caribbean theme
Beach Bistro, Homes Beach - good seafood
Slim's Place, Anna Maria - so bad for you but so good tasting Lobster Mac & Cheese, ymmm
Bridge Tender Inn, Bradenton Beach - great location on Bridge St, good food
Sharkey's, Bradenton Beach - good seafood & steaks
Hurricane Hank's, Holmes Beach - good pub food

Offhand I can't think of any special events for that weekend near Anna Maria but I will check. Usually the festivals and special events start later in the fall and run thru late spring. There is a big car show that Sunday in Venice at Centennial Park. My hubby the gear head already has it on his radar.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:25 PM

5,586 posts, read 8,397,444 times
Will second some of the above recommendations and add a few of my own:

Skinny's at Bradenton Beach -- a little dive beach bar known for its burgers (with mayo! yummmm)

Cafe on the Beach (or whatever it's called now) -- (Manatee Ave. & the beach) -- casual outdoor dining right on the beach, fabulous place to watch the sunset, live music, line-dancing

Ocean Star -- in a strip mall near the Publix at Bradenton Beach -- excellent sushi

Beach House -- large restaurant, casual/touristy, always packed, right on the beach for sunset views, I thought the food was surprisingly excellent and reasonably priced

DeSoto National Park is DEFINITELY worth visiting -- beautiful walking trails through the mangrove forest and along the shoreline, plus historic re-enactments

Robinson Preserve is also worth a visit, but you really need a bike or be able to walk FAR to really fully experience it.

Have a great vacation!

Old 09-10-2012, 10:35 AM

453 posts, read 1,741,550 times
Anna Maria Island is a great place to visit. Perhaps because we are now a bit older, we've stopped trying to fill our days with activities, and just enjoy the beach and restaurants, mostly.

This article from the NY times from a few years back might help: Perfecting the Fine Art of Doing Nothing
For us, we can no longer fly direct to Sarasota, but the ride from Tampa isn't bad at all.

We did a kayak tour off Lido Beach, a short drive away, and enjoyed that very much. Dinners in Cortez, walks in the morning, sunsets on the piers, etc. Nothing too organized, strenuous, or that requires long pants.

Rhys

Old 09-10-2012, 11:20 AM

4,612 posts, read 7,527,424 times
Nothing too organized, strenuous, or that requires long pants.

Rhys

I love your comment! Especially the part about the long pants. Having lived in FL for many, many years, my husband has exactly 2 pairs of long pants - the dress pair is dug out of the closet for weddings or funerals, the jeans on the rare chilly night that drops below 45.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:22 PM

Thanks all for the help and advice! I'll post where we went, what we did, and any recommendations I have once we return.

Cheers!

Old 09-10-2012, 03:08 PM

One restaurant not always mentioned in these threads is the Old Hamburg Schnitzelhaus, a small, authentic German place right in Holmes Beach that we really like. It's in a strip-shopping center location near Walgreen's. We really enjoyed the selection of beers and the conversation at the small bar while waiting for our table. Delicious entrees.

Not a Steeler Bar, but worth a visit.

Rhys

Old 09-18-2012, 10:01 AM

Wanted to revive this thread with a specific request.

We are looking for Karaoke near Holmes Beach.

Whether it is walking, biking or quick cab ride would really appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks!

Old 09-26-2012, 02:06 PM

See if the Drift In on Bridge St. in Bradenton Beach still has karaoke on any particular evening during the week. It's a friendly dive bar (but the cigarette smoke can be overwhelming at times.) You could use the trolley bus so you don't have to drive, a big plus.
120 Bridge St.
Bradenton Beach, FL 34217
941-756-2852
Rhys
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area