Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 12:35 PM

4,612 posts, read 7,527,424 times

Advertisements

A lot of the waterfront lots with boat access to bay are going to be above your price point in the Sarasota area, but there are exceptions. It also depends on the size of your boat. What size/height boat are you thinking of?

Phillippi Gardens in south Sarasota (between Tuttle and US41) has a row of homes that back up to a canal with access to the bay. One comes on the market every now and then.

Bayview Acres off of Stickney Point also has a row of homes that back up to the canal.

Nokomis Acres and Dona Bay Shores (Nokomis, off of Colonia) are neighborhoods that have some canal front homes at more reasonable prices. Canal leads to Dona Bay. No HOAs either.

Sorrento Shores in Osprey is popular with boaters. It's a somewhat older (1980's), well maintained, deed restricted community with many canal front lots, boat water to bay with no bridges.

Tropical Shores in south Sarasota (west of US41 near the mall) may be an option. While most homes are not on a canal or waterfront, there is a community boat ramp & small marina for homeowners use.

The Osprey - Nokomis area will put you within easy driving distance of 2 popular, public beaches.

In NW Bradenton there are a number of waterfront communities, many with saltwater, canal front homes.

Coral Shores is a very popular boating community. The HOA is optional, under $100/year.

Flamingo Cay is another, with direct access to Palma Sola Bay.

San Remo Shores is very popular, with many of the deepwater canal front homes having private docks and lifts.

Coral Shores East, Belair Bayou, Shorelands are others.

Most of the NW Bradenton boating neighborhoods will have homes built in the 1960's thru 1980's, although there are some newer construction homes mixed in where previous older homes were torn down & new built. Some have HOAs but many do not, or the HOAs are voluntary.

In your price range you will typically find an older home in the above neighborhoods that needs some updating. Some may be distress sales, ie short sales.

If you're looking for newer construction, Perico Bay Club is a large community on Manatee Ave located just east of the bridge to Anna Maria Island. It is a large, gated community with villas, townhomes and single family homes, a clubhouse, a number of community pools, tennis, walking trails, etc. Definitely deed restricted.

NW Bradenton puts you about a 1/2 hour drive (easiest to travel south thru Longboat Key) to downtown Sarasota. NW Bradenton is close to 3 very nice beaches on Anna Maria, which includes one of my favorites, Coquina. Although Siesta Key has the large public beach with it's powder fine sand, Anna Maria Island's beaches are also beautiful and parking is often easier. Anna Maria has lots of great little restaurants, pubs and bars but does not have the large number of tall condo complexes as found on Siesta Key. Personally, I like the vibe of Anna Maria more so than Siesta Key.

While I like visiting St. Pete, you'll find going to the beaches much more of a hassle due to crowded parking lots (mostly with metered parking), crowded beaches on the weekends. We have friends that moved there and it's a hassle just trying to get out to their condo on the weekends, never mind the beaches. Downtown St. Pete is a favorite of ours, with the parks, antique stores, restaurants, the pier/waterfront and events going on all winter, but once you get further away from downtown.....

I would suggest keeping your mind open to all of the possibilities and see what appeals most to you when you visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 02:57 PM

58 posts, read 113,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomet View Post
Hi cowboyway

HI

Also, I surprised no one picked up on your original post, when you mentioned punta Cana as opposed to punta gorda!
OOOOPS! Ma bad!

Punta Cana is great too!

Good luck!
Thank you

Old 09-10-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Blu Que, very near to your accommodations has very good BBQ and a fantastic happy hour. Also hit up The Cottage, The name escapes me but the place next door, and Siesta Key Oyster Bar (SKOB). All in the village
Thank you

Old 09-10-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Hey Cowboy!
When you come down, dm me and we'll see if we can get a fishing trip going. I have a buddy of mine (MA) I need to take out as well.
We can feed two birds with one shrimp (you wife will like that!), drink two beers in one gulp, and catch two fish at one time. I've actually caught 4 fish at one time - true story - I'll tell ya when you get here, or if you want to read through a million of my posts, you can find the story yourself.
You've already replied to one of the very best agents in the area - so no formal introduction is necessary.

Thanks Big man! Appreciate the invite, and if time permits I'm in. Something tells me that story would be better heard with a couple beers than read, so I'll remind ya to tell me when I get that chance. I actually used to do a ton of fishing up here at the Jersey shore when I was younger. Crabbin too. Then life got in the way, and it's few and far between. However when I do get the chance I can still bag em! looking forward to making it the rule not the exception again. My wife loves it too, so that makes it even more fun with the competition factor.

I'll be sure to reach out to you when we are southbound, and see what we can work out.

Thanks again!

Old 09-10-2012, 03:25 PM

Default Thanks very much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
A lot of the waterfront lots with boat access to bay are going to be above your price point in the Sarasota area, but there are exceptions. It also depends on the size of your boat. What size/height boat are you thinking of?

Phillippi Gardens in south Sarasota (between Tuttle and US41) has a row of homes that back up to a canal with access to the bay. One comes on the market every now and then.

Bayview Acres off of Stickney Point also has a row of homes that back up to the canal.

Nokomis Acres and Dona Bay Shores (Nokomis, off of Colonia) are neighborhoods that have some canal front homes at more reasonable prices. Canal leads to Dona Bay. No HOAs either.

Sorrento Shores in Osprey is popular with boaters. It's a somewhat older (1980's), well maintained, deed restricted community with many canal front lots, boat water to bay with no bridges.

Tropical Shores in south Sarasota (west of US41 near the mall) may be an option. While most homes are not on a canal or waterfront, there is a community boat ramp & small marina for homeowners use.

The Osprey - Nokomis area will put you within easy driving distance of 2 popular, public beaches.

In NW Bradenton there are a number of waterfront communities, many with saltwater, canal front homes.

Coral Shores is a very popular boating community. The HOA is optional, under $100/year.

Flamingo Cay is another, with direct access to Palma Sola Bay.

San Remo Shores is very popular, with many of the deepwater canal front homes having private docks and lifts.

Coral Shores East, Belair Bayou, Shorelands are others.

Most of the NW Bradenton boating neighborhoods will have homes built in the 1960's thru 1980's, although there are some newer construction homes mixed in where previous older homes were torn down & new built. Some have HOAs but many do not, or the HOAs are voluntary.

In your price range you will typically find an older home in the above neighborhoods that needs some updating. Some may be distress sales, ie short sales.

If you're looking for newer construction, Perico Bay Club is a large community on Manatee Ave located just east of the bridge to Anna Maria Island. It is a large, gated community with villas, townhomes and single family homes, a clubhouse, a number of community pools, tennis, walking trails, etc. Definitely deed restricted.

NW Bradenton puts you about a 1/2 hour drive (easiest to travel south thru Longboat Key) to downtown Sarasota. NW Bradenton is close to 3 very nice beaches on Anna Maria, which includes one of my favorites, Coquina. Although Siesta Key has the large public beach with it's powder fine sand, Anna Maria Island's beaches are also beautiful and parking is often easier. Anna Maria has lots of great little restaurants, pubs and bars but does not have the large number of tall condo complexes as found on Siesta Key. Personally, I like the vibe of Anna Maria more so than Siesta Key.

While I like visiting St. Pete, you'll find going to the beaches much more of a hassle due to crowded parking lots (mostly with metered parking), crowded beaches on the weekends. We have friends that moved there and it's a hassle just trying to get out to their condo on the weekends, never mind the beaches. Downtown St. Pete is a favorite of ours, with the parks, antique stores, restaurants, the pier/waterfront and events going on all winter, but once you get further away from downtown.....

I would suggest keeping your mind open to all of the possibilities and see what appeals most to you when you visit.
Wow, thanks for all the great leads! I've looked at sites like realtor.com etc and while it's a little hard to know what neighborhoods I'm looking in, I'll try to follow what you've listed. Like I mentioned in my op, we are about a year away from the move, give or take. I figure prices are slowly creeping upward, but will remain relatively stable for the foreseeable future. Also a homes I see for sale now are only references to what I can expect when we do move since I'm sure they'll be sold by then.

We are definately going to have an open mind, but information such as yours is helpful to make sure we see as much as we can that interests us, and less of what doesn't.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:30 PM

[quote=Sunshine Rules;26029942]A lot of the waterfront lots with boat access to bay are going to be above your price point in the Sarasota area, but there are exceptions. It also depends on the size of your boat. What size/height boat are you thinking ?

I'm not really sure yet.....I guess well see what's left over after we get the house. I'd also want to spend some time on the water on other people s boat so I can learn the way things are done there. If I had to guess it would be something like a 25-30 foot cabin, weekender type of boat. So we can take the dogs and guests on overnites.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:47 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,397,444 times
Quote:
I totally agree with this, SunshineRules. I went to Siesta Key for the first time last year, after having spent a lot of time on various Anna Maria beaches -- some popular public beaches, some in more isolated areas, but all beautiful and "island-y". I had heard so much about Siesta Key that I just had to see it. I guess if I hadn't been spoiled by Anna Maria, I would have liked it.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:51 AM

I was wondering how the North East area of Bradenton is? North of Manatee, just west of i75? I see some canal homes in there, and while seemingly priced a bit higher than I was hoping, we may be able to stretch it to the upper 4's low 5's.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:39 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,397,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboyway View Post
I was wondering how the North East area of Bradenton is? North of Manatee, just west of i75? I see some canal homes in there, and while seemingly priced a bit higher than I was hoping, we may be able to stretch it to the upper 4's low 5's.
I see where you mean (on the map). While the homes may be fine, I would not want to live there in that area. You're trapped in between the crappiness of Rt. 41 and the river. To get anywhere in Bradenton or to Anna Maria Island, you've got to drive completely through the city (traffic nightmare and seedy areas). The appeal of NW Bradenton is that it's as close as you can get to the island, without the property taxes and hurricane insurance of living on it.

If I were down there, I would do a drive-by for ya, but that won't be for a few months.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:11 AM

Default That's good info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I see where you mean (on the map). While the homes may be fine, I would not want to live there in that area. You're trapped in between the crappiness of Rt. 41 and the river. To get anywhere in Bradenton or to Anna Maria Island, you've got to drive completely through the city (traffic nightmare and seedy areas). The appeal of NW Bradenton is that it's as close as you can get to the island, without the property taxes and hurricane insurance of living on it.

If I were down there, I would do a drive-by for ya, but that won't be for a few months.

That's helpful, thanks. I think it s called The Inlets, and Houses look right up our alley, but as they say, location, location, location...... If theres a similar development in NW Bradenton or actually anywhere within 30-40 mins of Sarasota without the downsides you mentioned, I'd love to hear about it!

Thanks to everyone who responded, see you in 2 weeks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area