Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 02:05 PM

398 posts, read 822,275 times

Advertisements

I need to go from our house in Sarasota to the Tampa Airport to catch a flight. I am thinking a 1 way car rental at about $60 (I'd need a ride to the SRQ airport for the car) might be the best way. I am curious what others would do? I guess if a shuttle that came to your home & got me would be good if there weren't a lot of stops between my place & the Airport.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 08:00 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,344,184 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/saras...-sarasota.html

Old 09-19-2012, 10:18 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,402,263 times
That sounds like a complete hassle just to get to Tampa airport. There are limo services that will pick you up at the house, put your suitcase in the trunk, and drive you in air-conditioned comfort, by yourself, directly to the airport. I can't remember the price but I think from Bradenton it was more like $80, but worth it.

ETA: I meant "renting the car" was a hassle, not the shuttle link mentioned above.

Last edited by Avalon08; 09-19-2012 at 10:50 PM.. Reason: added something

Old 09-20-2012, 10:06 PM

440 posts, read 1,052,718 times
We are renting at SRQ and driving to TPA and leaving the car at the airport,$48 thru Budget.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyddog View Post
We are renting at SRQ and driving to TPA and leaving the car at the airport,$48 thru Budget.
That's a good deal and certainly a lot cheaper than the limo service, but for me, saving 30 bucks is not worth my time standing in line to rent the car, going through the paperwork, finding a gas station to fill up the 2 gallons of gas I used (NOT easy around TPA finding a gas station), dropping the car off and the extra walking to get over to the terminal -- all for a drive of what, an hour?

But to each his own.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:51 AM

274 posts, read 855,379 times
I've booked rental cars several times from Tampa to Sarasota (usually on Priceline) and the most I've spent, including gas, is $25. You can have them fill your tank for you if finding gas is a problem. If you have more than one person, it's definitely easier on the wallet to rent a car, and it's really not any more difficult or inconvenient than the shuttle, IMO.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:47 PM

209 posts, read 452,531 times
Good post Miss Lizzie. We have not had this issue come up yet, but you make a good point if there are 2 or more flying.

Last edited by 222muchcoffee; 09-24-2012 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 09-24-2012, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222muchcoffee View Post
Good post Miss Lizzie. We have not had this issue come up yet, but you make a good point if there are 2 or more flying.
Just to clarify -- the limo services I mentioned do not charge per person, so the two of you would be sharing the flat rate just like the rental car. Even the shuttles do not charge full fare for a second passenger at the same pick-up point -- it might be something like $15 extra. So check out the prices and compare. I did not see any $25 prices on Priceline, the least expensive I saw was $42 including taxes but not gas.

And there is definitely nothing more convenient than getting picked up directly at your door and dropped directly at the airport. No one can say it's just as convenient to rent a car. Take it from someone who just stood in line at the Budget counter in TPA for 25 mins. while three other people in front of me got their cars from the one clerk on duty. Oh, I forgot in the car rental scenario, you also have to get someone to take you to the airport to rent the car. But still, if it's worth it to save 30 or 40 bucks, go for it.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:02 PM

77 posts, read 246,823 times
When are you going/coming? Might coordinate something...

Old 09-26-2012, 04:13 PM

398 posts, read 822,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
That's a good deal and certainly a lot cheaper than the limo service, but for me, saving 30 bucks is not worth my time standing in line to rent the car, going through the paperwork, finding a gas station to fill up the 2 gallons of gas I used (NOT easy around TPA finding a gas station), dropping the car off and the extra walking to get over to the terminal -- all for a drive of what, an hour?

But to each his own.
It is pretty easy to fill up with gas a couple of miles away from the airport at exit 39.

I actually like having Enterprise or Budget pick me up when I need a car.

I don't mind saving $30 plus whatever the tip would be.

Different strokes for different folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area