U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 02:38 PM

219 posts, read 509,844 times

Advertisements

My wife and I own a condo in St. Pete were thinking about selling and buying a home in Bradenton. Is it a nice place to live would you recommned it for retirement? Naturally we will come down to look at it, but advice is welcome. Any idea of how much a decent, two or three bedroom home would cost in a safe area? Any tips on crime, etc. would be appreciated. Thank you very much.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 04:15 PM

509 posts, read 841,951 times
I like it. The question is subjective, but Bradenton is pretty blue collar, there are bad areas, just steer clear of them and use common sense, you'll be fine.
I'm not sure about home costs, as I rent, but I live in north west Bradenton, it's lovely, safe, (in my opinion) close to beaches, shops, restaurants, couldn't ask for more.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:17 PM

5,640 posts, read 9,554,481 times
Just as St. Pete has good and bad areas, so does Bradenton. It depends on what you are looking for but what do you like and dislike about your current condo?

Old 09-30-2012, 04:59 PM

219 posts, read 509,844 times
Default Bradenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Just as St. Pete has good and bad areas, so does Bradenton. It depends on what you are looking for but what do you like and dislike about your current condo?

My wife and I would rather own a small home with a backyard rather than a condo. For one thing, in our retirement we would like to own a dog or two which our condo does not allow. Also my wife likes to garden.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:34 PM

16,219 posts, read 34,748,419 times
We live right between Bradenton and Sarasota. I personally love Bradenton. It actually reminds me of a tiny St. Pete. The downtown is small but cute, and on the riverfront. The new RiverWalk will be finished soon and is really rejuvenating everything down there. Bradenton tags itself "The Friendly City", and it is very community oriented. Bradenton has gorgeous beaches that are free, some of the finest in Florida. There are good and bad areas in Bradenton, which is no different than any other city or town. For older homes I like the areas near downtown, and then northwest toward the beaches. There are some newer developments in Manatee County out east if that is more your thing. There is something for everyone there.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:10 PM

3,894 posts, read 5,835,800 times
Bradenton is filled with a lot of little neighborhoods running from north Bradenton by the riverfront & NW Bradenton near Palma Sola Bay, down to the county line just north of the Sarasota airport. Within the city limits of Bradenton you'll find old, bungalow homes built in the 1920's to early 50's mixed in with some large, 2 story homes (many have been converted to multifamily). You'll find mostly 1950's & 60's ranch styles homes in NW, west & south Bradenton areas, although there is some newer construction mixed in. There are some waterfront, boating communities in NW Bradenton that have million dollar homes mixed in with older ranch homes. Parts of Bradenton have more condo communities and there are even a number of 55+ mobile home parks mixed in, usually closer to the commercial areas. A little bit of everything for everybody.

East of US301 and south of SR64 is where you'll find more of the newer, more contemporary style homes in deed restricted communities, built in the 1980's thru current, new construction. Some are gated communities but most are not. You'll also find a number of newer, small shopping centers with a mix of stores and restaurants catering to the nearby neighborhoods.

East of I75 is where you'll find the master planned communities of Lakewood Ranch and Heritage Harbour. Lakewood Ranch has mainly gated communities, Heritage Harbour's neighborhoods are all gated. Both have large recreation and nature areas, walking trails, etc. Lakewood Ranch is much larger than Heritage Harbour and even has their own unique little "downtown" area called Main Street.

You'll also find quite a few smaller, newer, deed restricted neighborhoods throughout that area, some gated, some not.

Then there's the Ellenton - Parrish area east of I75, where you'll find quite a few small, newer communities mixed in with rural areas. Some are more upscale neighborhoods but a lot of them are more affordable communities with new construction prices starting in the mid to upper $100's.

Some communities will have restrictions on whether you can fence in the back yard and if fencing is an option, what type of fence is allowed. So be sure to ask since you want to have pets.

What price range are you thinking of? Do you want a newer home is older ok? Deed restricted or not? Community amenities or not? Do you prefer to be nearer to the beaches, golf courses, shopping? With a little more information on your preferences it would be easier to suggest some neighborhoods for you to look into.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:46 PM

5,280 posts, read 7,198,554 times
I love Bradenton, especially Northwest Bradenton. There are many threads here that will be quite informative to you.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:05 AM

216 posts, read 492,907 times
My wife and I have lived in Florida only a short time and the company I work for services the Sarasota/Bradenton area. I get calls there quite often and from what I've seen so far.....I don't like. I have yet to go to any nice homes and neighborhoods seem kind of strange. Closer to water is better, but I still don't care for it. All my co-workers who have lived here forever call it "Bradentucky". No one has yet to say anything nice about it. Non-native non-realtor, opinion from someone who travels the area all day long.....I prefer South Sarasota to Venice and Englewood. Houses and neighborhoods are nice and so are the people.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:32 AM

83 posts, read 243,704 times
Well Geez Mike. You really gave me something to look forward to. Building our retirement home in Bradenton , can hardly wait to move in with the rest of the "Bradentuckians" Oughta feel right at home.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:03 AM

16,219 posts, read 34,748,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandaija2009 View Post
My wife and I have lived in Florida only a short time and the company I work for services the Sarasota/Bradenton area. I get calls there quite often and from what I've seen so far.....I don't like. I have yet to go to any nice homes and neighborhoods seem kind of strange. Closer to water is better, but I still don't care for it. All my co-workers who have lived here forever call it "Bradentucky". No one has yet to say anything nice about it. Non-native non-realtor, opinion from someone who travels the area all day long.....I prefer South Sarasota to Venice and Englewood. Houses and neighborhoods are nice and so are the people.
Well by your own admission you have only lived here a short time, and don't even live in the area. You can't paint a broad brush by a few undesirable places you have been to. Anyway, different strokes for different folks. I live on the north side of Sarasota right between Sarasota and Bradenton, and prefer north Sarasota and parts of Bradenton over South Sarasota/Venice/Englewood any day. And we have lived here a long, long, long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area