Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 03:14 AM

3 posts, read 81,962 times

Advertisements

Hi,
So I just got pulled over tonight around midnight, I saw the cop pull out and get behind me so I just pulled into a parking lot and the lights came on. The officer told me she was pulling me over for "illegal tinting" on all my windows. She used the Visible Light Transmission to test my windows, which were tinted at the factory when my car was being assembled at the Dodge dealership 4 years ago and I purchased it from the dealer this way. No talk of the tint being too dark when I purchased the vehicle and I have been pulled numerous times for other violations, police officers have never once mentioned my window tinting. She informed me that it had to be 27% VLT or higher on all windows (I drive a sedan). My front and back windows registered a 13% according to her little meter. She wrote me a ticket for the front windows and "let the back windows slide" and told me I needed to have the tint professionally removed at my own cost.
What can I do to fight this ticket? Is it worth fighting? And I do NOT want to pay to have the tint removed from my windows and new tint put on. So do I drive with my windows down from now until eternity?
Also I wanted to varify the law in Florida. To my understanding the front windows should be 28% or higher and the rear side and back windows 15% or higher. Is this correct?
Also, reviewing the ticket she did not write in the VLT% number on the ticket.
I don't live in the Sarasota area although my address on my license is Sarasota. (I commute from Orlando to Sarasota weekly, but live in Orlando now). So it might be hard for me to find time to fight it in court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 05:42 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,544,071 times
Here is a web site with the Window Tint Law in Florida. It shows the vehicle and the VLT% - how dark the window can be and how reflective the window can be for a sedan and for an SUV or Van. Florida Window Tint Law - TC Window Tint

Old 10-15-2012, 07:14 AM

142 posts, read 354,137 times
Any window tint company will have your answer. They know these laws well and can test yours for compliance. You better have the right address on your license before they notice that. Sounds like you need proper paperwork from the dodge dealer if you plan to fight it in court.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:08 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,141,072 times
your vehicle was not assembled at the dodge dealer. all the dealer would have done is to have the windows tinted. they would have used an outside firm to do that. i would take the ticket and all your sales documents back to the dealer. they always have it added in on the contract for a hundred bucks or so for tint. ask what they will do and give them the option of making it right. if they get an attitude tell them you want to see the owner or manager. if he gives you an attitude i would tell him that you will see him in court.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:24 AM

192 posts, read 298,186 times
That's a fair case. Where did you have it tinted? The laws might be different state to state.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:43 PM

58 posts, read 113,317 times
Default A tip

Here's a tip that may help when you get pulled over....

First thing you do( after stoping of course) is turn on your interior lights ( if its night time) lower all your windows, and turn your engine off and place your keys on the roof of your car. This may seem like a lot, and maybe even a bit of @ss kissin, but it goes a long way towards letting the officer know you are going to cooperate and not be a problem. If they suggest you are trying to hide your window tint, tell them your were just trying to make them feel safe and that your uncle the cop told you that was the polite way to do it. Cops, whatever your opinion of them is, have a lot to consider on a road stop and more often than not you get what you give when you go the extra mile.

I'm cool if you just want to flip them off and make a run for it too, but that has a lower success rate!

Old 10-17-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott19 View Post
That's a fair case. Where did you have it tinted? The laws might be different state to state.
I didn't have them tinted anywhere. I purchased the car from the dealership with the tint applied I am assuming from the factory.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboyway View Post

First thing you do( after stoping of course) is turn on your interior lights ( if its night time) lower all your windows, and turn your engine off and place your keys on the roof of your car. This may seem like a lot, and maybe even a bit of @ss kissin, but it goes a long way towards letting the officer know you are going to cooperate and not be a problem. If they suggest you are trying to hide your window tint, tell them your were just trying to make them feel safe and that your uncle the cop told you that was the polite way to do it. Cops, whatever your opinion of them is, have a lot to consider on a road stop and more often than not you get what you give when you go the extra mile.

I'm cool if you just want to flip them off and make a run for it too, but that has a lower success rate!
Haha, I always try to pull into a well lit parking lot when I get pulled. I rolled down the windows and she asked me to roll them all back half up because of the reason she pulled me. I always shut the engine off and turn on the interior lights with registration, insurance, and driver's license in hand. I'm always courteous. And it seems like I always get a ticket anyway. The one time I was rude and didn't follow procedure the cop let me go. Sarasota County is so backwards.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:21 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysianstarlynne View Post
I didn't have them tinted anywhere. I purchased the car from the dealership with the tint applied I am assuming from the factory.
A. No factory from any manufacturer tints the driver/passenger windows.
B. SUV/Pickups/Minivans can have factory tint on the rear windows but that would be exempt from state testing.
C. FL limit is 35% on the front driver/passenger windows
D. Paying the ticket is usually the cheapest and doesn't put points on your license. You can have it removed/inspected by a LEO and the court will usually reduce the fine to like $20 or something nominal. Removal at a tint shop shouldn't be more than $50
E. No matter who actually tinted the car, you will lose the case if the tint was darker than 35%. It is an equipment violation and you were the driver.

Most of the time the "dark tint" pullover is used as probable cause to see if you are drunk or up to no good late at night. A Miami Heat player got pulled over for it last year and then they smelled weed and later found it on a passenger in the car.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:24 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboyway View Post

Classic! I love seeing the getaway attempts on COPS or similar shows even though they will only show the epic failures never the clean getaways!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area