Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 07:49 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,245,210 times

Advertisements

Those holes in the pictures are pretty small. Armadillos can dig holes a foot deep. A lot of times they will dig under the slab of your house usually behind bushes. I've been told that could void the coverage of termite treatment in some cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 06:48 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
Those holes in the pictures are pretty small. Armadillos can dig holes a foot deep. A lot of times they will dig under the slab of your house usually behind bushes. I've been told that could void the coverage of termite treatment in some cases.
You know what, I agree. Especially since the SAME THING started happening a couple nights ago at my house. Definitely not armadillo, but not sure what. I used to live in the country north of Tampa and had a problem with moles, but these don't look like mole holes, because I don't have the tunnels. Oh well, I just cover them over during the day and hose down the area, it will stop eventually.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:15 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,141,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Living in a rural area with all the wildlife running around. Really annoying. Try yard lights, spot lights, stadium lights, flood lights, a 24/7 barking yard dog. Even better, how about anti freeze in the bird bath or land mines [messy clean up], leg snare traps and you can shoot them with a 12 gauge shot gun in the morning. Soon, word will spread through out the wild life community to stay away from your yard or die.
i think this person was being sarcastic. geez lighten up a little.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:18 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,737,453 times
I'm not an armadillo expert but I've always had the impression that the deeper holes are more like burrows (i.e. dens) and the little holes are just digging for grubs. We always seemed to have holes under the cement pad for the A/C. I don't know why but they loved that thing.

Old 10-26-2012, 02:29 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,071,773 times
For those not familiar with the nightime wildlife in the area, go outside around 2-4 AM. You might see Dillos, Possums, Coons running around your yard. Look for Owls sitting on mailboxes waiting for mice to cross the road. [easy to catch tasty treats] If you live east of I-75 around Fruitville Rd, you might see wild Pigs [nasty and destructive] looking for grubs on peoples lawns or around Clark Rd you might see Deer eating peoples yard flowers. You might see a red Fox [sometimes with pups] Look for the frogs crawling on your house. [ever hear that little thump on your window? guess who]
They were here before we clear cut, paved over, built houses and golf courses on their habitat.

Old 10-26-2012, 03:10 PM

this may be what was digging up your yard but not any more.

lot a bacon and pulled pork. guessin it was about 180 lbs
Attached Thumbnails
What is digging up my yard?-hog-2-2-.jpg  

Last edited by gettinoutofjersey; 10-26-2012 at 04:27 PM..

Old 10-26-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
For those not familiar with the nightime wildlife in the area, go outside around 2-4 AM. You might see Dillos, Possums, Coons running around your yard. Look for Owls sitting on mailboxes waiting for mice to cross the road. [easy to catch tasty treats] If you live east of I-75 around Fruitville Rd, you might see wild Pigs [nasty and destructive] looking for grubs on peoples lawns or around Clark Rd you might see Deer eating peoples yard flowers. You might see a red Fox [sometimes with pups] Look for the frogs crawling on your house. [ever hear that little thump on your window? guess who]
They were here before we clear cut, paved over, built houses and golf courses on their habitat.
i read that post quick and that Dillos looked like something else. thinking, where do you live? thats the place to be.

city people would be scared to death to out at night. we got neighbors that are terrified

Old 10-26-2012, 04:10 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,372,326 times
When we first moved in we could hear something on our bird feeders out in the back. Could not SEE them so we set up a motion sensitve camera and it was flying squirrels! We have those, regular squirrels, armidillos, opossum, rabbits, bob cats, raccoons, owls, hawks, osprey just to name a few. And of course the frogs. We have a few that have permanent daytime perches on the house. When we first moved in if I'd be out on the lanai in the dark and heard one of these things I would RUN into the house. Now I just smile.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:37 PM

279 posts, read 577,596 times
Quote:
yup, we've got all that. snakes & bats too. was wondering if it could be pigs. the hole aren;t big but ARE all over the whole side yard.

i have a woodsy natural yard, not in one of those communities so we have all kinds of interesting wildlife - even deer but i haven't seen one. I am happy to share the land with them I just want to know which ones I should watch for. I would rather it's armadillos that some southern rat i never heard or who knows what lol

I better get that camera going. Hopefully I'll solve the mystery.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:47 PM

279 posts, read 577,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nphomeowner View Post
When we first moved in we could hear something on our bird feeders out in the back. Could not SEE them so we set up a motion sensitve camera and it was flying squirrels! We have those, regular squirrels, armidillos, opossum, rabbits, bob cats, raccoons, owls, hawks, osprey just to name a few. And of course the frogs. We have a few that have permanent daytime perches on the house. When we first moved in if I'd be out on the lanai in the dark and heard one of these things I would RUN into the house. Now I just smile.
i am amazed at how the bobcats come up on our deck and stretch out, roll around and get comfy...just like there smaller domesticated cousins!

I would giggle myself silly if we have flying squirrels but i would be nervous if it's pigs. We have big woodpeckers, owls, hawks, hummingbirds, snakes, tons of butterflies, bats, bunnies, racoons, armadillos and probably possum since i found this skull while gardening yesterday!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area