Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 06:11 AM

68 posts, read 276,309 times

Advertisements

We're relocating to the area and just discovered that our carrier - Sprint - is basically DEAD in the Sarasota/Bradenton/Lakewood Ranch area we will be working and living. My husband was trying to call me from the house we are going to be getting and all I could hear was about 1/10 of what he was saying - just in and out constantly...

Interestingly Sprint had 2 retail stores in that are and they are both now closed.

So the question is very simple -

What carrier has the best coverage down there?

Anecdotally our real estate agent told my husband he had Verizon when he moved there and it also didn't work - he changed to ATT.

But I want to make sure we aren't stuck with the same non/poor signal issues if we switch...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 06:32 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,841,606 times
Sprint, in my opinion, is horrible for cell reception. A LOT of dropped calls all over the US. We changed to Verizon, and haven't had any problems since.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:03 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,546,851 times
Find out where the closest cell towers are to your home and go with that carrier. I have AT&T and I kept getting dropped calls. It works great in areas that are closer to a cell tower and works terrible other places. I bought an AT&T Microcell and put in our home, now I don't get dropped calls in the house.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:48 AM

4,614 posts, read 7,534,118 times
I travel all over Sarasota, Bradenton, Lakewood Ranch and areas east. The only place where I don't have coverage with my T Mobile cell phone is one small spot on Longboat Key, just north of the Publix store. You might check the T Mobile web site and see if the cell phone tower coverage fits your needs.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:55 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,688,635 times
verizon, hands down. I'm around university and have never had any problems anywhere

Old 10-28-2012, 12:57 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,739,307 times
They all have issues in some places. For me, AT&T seems to work best but I updated my iPhone 4 to iOS 6 and, since the update, I'm having frequent drops! I think most people wil tell you it's either Verizon or AT&T.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:21 AM

68 posts, read 276,309 times
Thanks all -

OK we are dropping Sprint and going over the AT&T and hope for the best - thankfully we are a the last month of our contract with Sprint and there's no fee to end it immediately and switch.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:12 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,137,294 times
My friends who have AT&T have lousy reception in the LWR area; I work in LWR & my service on my cell is throught Verizon: no complaints! Good luck!

Old 10-29-2012, 08:07 AM

166 posts, read 370,042 times
I have Sprint and used to live in LWR, at first we had dropped calls in the house all the time, before changing carriers I called Sprint, they ran some kind of test and after that we had no problems anywhere except when driving up SR 70 and as soon as we'd hit the intersection of Lorraine road we'd drop calls. Try calling Sprint first, we were told if they couldn't fix it we could buy something for the house for like 19.99 that would help, but we never needed it.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:23 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,849,240 times
My husband and I both have ATT and live in DFW TX area--have few problems overall with service
Naturally take our phones when we travel to FL--
we bought house next to our daughter in May--
have terrible time IN that house getting reception--have basically had to go outside on lanaii to have conversations...
Our daughter's house next door--no problem--both have red tile roofs...they aren't ATT customers any more...maybe Verizon...not sure...

based on what Tam said we might get a cell repeater from ATT when we are there Thanksgiving...
we are not using a home phone line so we need to have an operating cell IN the house...

IN the Venice/Nokomis/Sarasota area we really don't notice a problem with bad reception overall
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area