Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 10:15 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times

Advertisements

Keep in mind that it could be your neighbor ratting you out to your HOA.

My girlfriend got in a bad HOA the year she bought her house. She was also starting a 100 hour a week position as an investment banker.

Fortunately her other neighbors fixed everything for her that she kept getting violations on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 09:53 AM

19 posts, read 31,969 times
Default What town?

I realize you may not want to identify the specific HOA, but any chance the two negative experiences could identify what town? Was it Bradenton, Sarasota, Venice?

Old 11-12-2012, 08:22 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,622,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Yes, the terms are usually staggered so the entire Board isn't turned over every year, but usually there are elections every year for one or more members. So you had an opportunity to get two "good guys" in last year. If they had gotten in, you could've probably could've gotten in two more "good guys" this year and probably had a Board majority. Are you saying the "good guys" aren't willing to hang in there for ONE YEAR until more "good guys" join them? If the majority of residents are so dissatisfied with the Board, why didn't the second good guy get in with a sweeping majority? Have you considered running for the Board? As I said, there are always a ton of excuses... Besides which, I HAVE seen dissatisfied residents take the initiative to vote out a sitting Board; it is not impossible.
The term is three years. A variety of people have been guests at our board meetings in the audience...visiting family of an audience member, a professional in some capacity, whatever, and usually have the same adjective about the majority of the board...dysfunctional. Several have said it's the most dysfunctional board they have ever seen. This from friends or acquaintances of different neighbors, not just me. Currently I do a lot of back ground work for the good guys. After next year I hope to run for the board.

About the terms and putting up with it..people go in with great hopes and then seem to find out the secrets and find truth in the things they found hard to believe when they were much less familiar with the board and even with going to their meetings. It seems many people who go to meetings often don't want to be on the board.

Another issue at the moment is there is a group that seems to attract and feed on each other. A couple of main ones and their friends, old work buddies etc who move to town and then the main ones hook up and reel 'em in. And there are the few people on the board who just smile and go along...but only with the bad guys who pay so much attention to them they think they are in heaven...simple, older, pleasant ladies. Then there are the less than handful of honorable, moral, ethical ones who think things through, research, reach out for research and are careful and mindful that they are taking care of real people, real landscaping, real amenities and try their best.

Hey, already one of those 'main guys' told the current president a few days ago that he'll have to sign such and such next year as president. And this guy's term is coming up. The guy that said that is the same person who said that other member shouldn't worry, she'd get in. So I guess this guy will get in too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area