Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 04:33 PM

8,266 posts, read 4,666,091 times

Advertisements

Why are political telephone calls not included in the no-call list?

In the past 24-hours I've received 12 political calls. It's gotten to the point where I don't answer personally - and just let my answering machine take the calls.

Are these calls not just as annoying as any other telephone solicitor calls???????

And who was the "genius" that made up these "rules"? -

Last edited by wondermint2; 10-30-2012 at 05:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 06:44 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
Why are political telephone calls not included in the no-call list?

In the past 24-hours I've received 12 political calls. It's gotten to the point where I don't answer personally - and just let my answering machine take the calls.

Are these calls not just as annoying as any other telephone solicitor calls???????

And who was the "genius" that made up these "rules"? -
I hear you. We don't even live in FL anymore, but still have our FL number and it's been getting blasted. Luckily we can permanently block numbers with our phone system so they only get through once!

As for the idiots that made the rules, I'd wager that they were politicians.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:56 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,078,177 times
The 'do not call' list was supposed to stop unsolicited calls. But there's always exemptions.
Tax exempt - non profit
Calls from organizations, businesses with which you establish or have a relation.
Organizations conducting a survey
Bill collectors
Political ads [they passed the law that exempts themselves]
And now we have businesses that do not identify themselves where you have to press [1] for info. That is their excuse for establishing a relation. [don't even press the number to delete your phone number, just hang up]

Old 10-31-2012, 05:35 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,142,555 times
if the call is from an actual person, ask them to hold on a minute. then lay the phone down and go back to what you were doing. after a few minutes pick it up, if they are still there tell them to hold on again.

and yes, all laws are made by politicians.

dont let this go political or some will have babies. here you need to ignore politics.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:54 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,893,838 times
"if the call is from an actual person, ask them to hold on a minute. then lay the phone down and go back to what you were doing. after a few minutes pick it up, if they are still there tell them to hold on again."

I like this idea!

Old 10-31-2012, 05:20 PM

8,266 posts, read 4,666,091 times
Well since I'm just letting my answering machine pick-up the calls until after the election - I've been getting quite a few hang-ups and automated political messages by computer .

I just got an automated message from Barbara Streisand about the upcoming presidential election.

I won't mention which candidate that she is backing -

Old 10-31-2012, 05:32 PM

469 posts, read 913,466 times
No call list is worthless. Ive put my number on 4 times in less than a year. Non stop calls. Had to change my number after going cell only for almost 9 months.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:10 PM

50,291 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie of Oldsmar View Post
"if the call is from an actual person, ask them to hold on a minute. then lay the phone down and go back to what you were doing. after a few minutes pick it up, if they are still there tell them to hold on again."

I like this idea!
I used to hand it over to my 2 year old for giggles but my 2 year old is now 13

Old 11-05-2012, 01:17 PM

5,173 posts, read 4,945,353 times
Just another example of how politicians think of themselves as the "chosen ones" and us as their subjects. Make a law (Do not call list) but exempt themselves from it. I even had a political call on my cell phone the other day. I hung up and then wished I had told them that it wasn't a government provided phone and that I paid for my minutes!

Old 11-05-2012, 01:47 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,888,406 times
Our daughter used to tell them she was the maid, and that we were out on the yacht, but she'd give us the message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area