Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2012, 02:01 AM

128 posts, read 424,219 times

Advertisements

Does anyone ride a tricycle or a bike with stablizers on (I mean adults) I would love to be able to go for bike ride, but just cannot ride a bike!!! I concentrate so hard on trying to get my balance I can't keep a straight line and I have no chance of even considering anything to do with gears. So I thought about a tricycle. My husband said I needed to get one with gears so I could get used to riding and using them. I looked on Craigs list and also ebay and then saw stablizers for adult bikes. These seem quite substantial, but are similar price to a tricycle.
Anyone give any recommendations or anyone selling either option at a reasonable price please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 02:39 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
These are expensive, but for your situation, possibly a long-term investment ?

Made right in Florida , too much fun for words !

Catrike.com

They have 'Cat Days' where you can go ride them and talk to other owners.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:09 AM

279 posts, read 577,805 times
I see people on trikes all the time! and I see them for sale on craigslist. the recumbents are awesome but much more expensive. If you just want to ride around your neighborhood or head out on the Legacy Trail a bit why do you need to get all involved in gears and fancy stuff? Just get started on a plain adult trike and get strong, get confident and then if you like it you can move on to more advanced stuff.

Old 11-03-2012, 03:08 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,689,205 times
i agree-you don't need gears down here.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:00 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
And personally a recumbent wouldn't be safe IMO unless you were on bike/pedestrian only track...
so unless you are close enough to ride to one would be hassle getting there

Old 11-04-2012, 10:54 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet2007 View Post
Does anyone ride a tricycle or a bike with stablizers on (I mean adults) I would love to be able to go for bike ride, but just cannot ride a bike!!! I concentrate so hard on trying to get my balance I can't keep a straight line and I have no chance of even considering anything to do with gears. So I thought about a tricycle. My husband said I needed to get one with gears so I could get used to riding and using them. I looked on Craigs list and also ebay and then saw stablizers for adult bikes. These seem quite substantial, but are similar price to a tricycle.
Anyone give any recommendations or anyone selling either option at a reasonable price please.
Get a simple three speed with coaster brake - you can leave it in one gear all the time at first. Believe me you WILL eventually learn to balance and then you will never "forget". Just find a safe place to practice. I wouldn't get a "trike", a bicycle is far more fun and better exercise. If you really feel you need the stabilizers, maybe you could see if you can find some used. Anyway, this is just my advice. I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE riding my cruiser bike around my neighborhood - it is incredibly fun and great exercise!

Good luck!

Old 11-04-2012, 05:36 PM

547 posts, read 926,879 times
Times change. Once upon a time kids learned to ride with training wheels (stabilizers) The current method is to learn using a balance bike (or a bike with the pedals removed). My 3 year old grandson learned on a balance bike and now rides on two wheels like no ones business.
There is a new style of two wheeler for grownups that allows the rider to plant two feet on the ground while seated.
Here is an example: Townie ORIGINAL 1 Bike (Ladies) | electra bicycle company

Google "teaching an adult to ride a bike" Lots of good advice there.

Youtube also has videos:
Learning to Bicycle Without Pain; Teaching Bicycling Without Strain - YouTube

Enjoy

Old 11-04-2012, 05:46 PM

279 posts, read 577,805 times
i think if the learning curve is intimidating OP or they aren't interested or are fearful...anything that will hold OP back from riding they should just go with the trike. Just get out there and ride! Doesn't matter what you are on as long as you are having fun and doing something physical! Have fun!

Old 11-05-2012, 05:22 AM

128 posts, read 424,219 times
Thanks everyone for info and advice. I think I am going to look for a second hand trike at least this way I will be able to concentrate on riding without being to afraid. My husband still thinks it would be better to get used to riding a bike and found a site that make and supply stabalizers (on the west coast). They seem really good and strong, but cost around the $200 - this is about the price of buying a second hand trike.
So if anyone is looking to sell a trike - please let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area