U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2012, 05:32 PM

14 posts, read 74,965 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move to Sarasota after many years in NYC, where I can walk to so many places. I am an older single woman and hoping I can get some recommendations for condos or high-rises in an area where you can walk to many places. I don't need water view or even to be that near the water, but I am interested in an extremely safe, lovely area where I can walk to a market, a drug-store, a movie theater, a cafe. Any good suggestions? At the moment, more interested in rental than sale.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 10:15 AM

4,180 posts, read 6,398,934 times
There are some neighborhoods and condo communities like that, depending on your price range and/or rental rate per month you are targeting.

There are several condo communities on Palmer Ranch near the mall and shopping center next door. Palmer Square, Vintage Grand (although VG wouldn't be my first choice if buying), Pinestone. Pinestone actually has their own mini movie theater in the clubhouse for residents.

Downtown Sarasota has a number of condo communities that would match your must haves list, depending on price range, as prices tend to start in the mid $100's for short sales or bank owned properties and go up into the millions for the luxury condos with bay views. Some of the more reasonable (for downtown Sarasota) options would be Broadway Promenade, Central Park (on US41), Bay Plaza, Cityscape, Alinari, Regency House, Versailles.

Perhaps Carolina Landings or Parkridge, both off of University Parkway might be options if you don't mind being further from the beaches and are looking for something in the $100k price range. Parkridge is next door to 2 shopping centers (one has a movie theater) and restaurants, Carolina Landings is just north of a shopping center and west of an outlet mall with stores and several restaurants.

If you're open to renting a single family home, the Alta Vista neighborhood is going to be one of the more walkable options, rated in the top 10 in Sarasota for being walkable. The neighborhood consists of a number of 1950's & 60's ranch style homes with some duplexes mixed in. The western end of Gulf Gate would also put you nearer to shopping, etc as would the western end of the South Gate area, nearer to Siesta Drive by US41.

Southside Village just west of US41 near the hospital is another great neighborhood, although prices for homes and rentals both are higher there than the other neighborhoods I mentioned.

As I mentioned, knowing your targeted price range would make it easier to suggest condo complexes and/or neighborhoods.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:40 PM

1,687 posts, read 2,877,329 times
My "vote" (considering the date) would be for downtown, Except, there is no drug store you can walk to, unless you want to use Publix as your drug store I believe they have a prescription department.

I am a Walking addict - must live in an area where I can walk to things, a ManhattanPhile, and I live in Downstown SRQ.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:09 AM

16,721 posts, read 36,225,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
My "vote" (considering the date) would be for downtown, Except, there is no drug store you can walk to, unless you want to use Publix as your drug store I believe they have a prescription department.

I am a Walking addict - must live in an area where I can walk to things, a ManhattanPhile, and I live in Downstown SRQ.
I agree with this. Somewhere in the downtown area would just about tick all the boxes, and is definitely the most "walkable" area of town; although there are some other areas that are what I would call "somewhat" walkable, but probably not in the context the OP is wanting. Unfortunately the Super Value drug and vitamin store is relocating after many decades, but that is about the only thing that would be lacking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area