U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-15-2007, 02:09 AM
 
1 posts, read 7,014 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am considering moving to Sarasota from L.A., CA. Long story, my bf and I are splitting up and my parents live in Englewood, FL. I love Laguna Beach, CA and my parents say Sarasota has a similiar feel. I am thinking about buying a condo downtown, don't want to deal with the maintenance of a house etc...

Do you like living in Sarasota? I'm only 31 and want to be surrounded by people my age, is that the case in Sarasota?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-15-2007, 10:09 AM
 
Location: Florida
4,850 posts, read 13,423,008 times
Reputation: 2255
Quote:
Originally Posted by nell1 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am considering moving to Sarasota from L.A., CA. Long story, my bf and I are splitting up and my parents live in Englewood, FL. I love Laguna Beach, CA and my parents say Sarasota has a similiar feel. I am thinking about buying a condo downtown, don't want to deal with the maintenance of a house etc...

Do you like living in Sarasota? I'm only 31 and want to be surrounded by people my age, is that the case in Sarasota?

I've been to Laguna Beach, got it. If you've got the cash, downtown SRQ is a wonderful place to be. It is young. I'm 45, live downtown & love it. PM me if you have more questions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2007, 01:24 AM
 
48 posts, read 189,910 times
Reputation: 52
Sarasota is a clean and beautiful city. The beaches are really beautiful. It is very wealthy, and the downtown is really developing, finally. There are restaurants, a few small bars and cafes...as well as an independant movie theater called Burns Court and a big commercial theater called Hollywood 20. There is the Opera House, Player's Theater, and Van Wesel if you like symphonies/plays/musicals.

I wouldn't call Sarasota "young," however. I've never heard anyone refer to Sarasota as youth oriented! I'm 24 and all of my friends from HS moved away as soon as they could. Anyone who enjoys a real night life drives to Tampa or St. Pete. Working class people struggle, or they live in Bradenton and commute. You said you are looking into buying a condo downtown, so I assume you are well off.

There definately are arts here, but they aren't cutting edge. If you are wealthy and like to hang out with primarily middle aged people...and you love warm humid weather and beaches, you will like Sarasota. Realize, the weather is not nearly as beautiful as SoCAL unless you consider heat and humidity 3/4 of the year nice. Sarasota also has a much more conservative feel to it than SoCAL from what I understand. It's not oppressively conservative or anything, but it is very middle aged/to older wealthy...materialistic.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2007, 07:24 AM
 
16,513 posts, read 35,772,466 times
Reputation: 21640
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFL4Seasons View Post
Sarasota is a clean and beautiful city. The beaches are really beautiful. It is very wealthy, and the downtown is really developing, finally. There are restaurants, a few small bars and cafes...as well as an independant movie theater called Burns Court and a big commercial theater called Hollywood 20. There is the Opera House, Player's Theater, and Van Wesel if you like symphonies/plays/musicals.

I wouldn't call Sarasota "young," however. I've never heard anyone refer to Sarasota as youth oriented! I'm 24 and all of my friends from HS moved away as soon as they could. Anyone who enjoys a real night life drives to Tampa or St. Pete. Working class people struggle, or they live in Bradenton and commute. You said you are looking into buying a condo downtown, so I assume you are well off.

There definately are arts here, but they aren't cutting edge. If you are wealthy and like to hang out with primarily middle aged people...and you love warm humid weather and beaches, you will like Sarasota. Realize, the weather is not nearly as beautiful as SoCAL unless you consider heat and humidity 3/4 of the year nice. Sarasota also has a much more conservative feel to it than SoCAL from what I understand. It's not oppressively conservative or anything, but it is very middle aged/to older wealthy...materialistic.
Great post - you really nailed it. Sarasota is NOT the best place for the younger crowd, never has been, never will be. Geared toward wealthy conservative retirees. And while I have never personally been to Laguna Beach, I don't think Sarasota would be anything like it.

I would recommend going a bit north to St. Pete - still have beautiful beaches there with a much younger, more eclectic and Bohemian population. More night life and close to Tampa (for the city), etc. And I can't stress enough that the climate here will take MAJOR getting used to after living near the California coast, which has near perfect weather. People just can't comprehend that fact until they get here and are miserable. I would take an extended visit first and see if you can stand it.

Good luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2007, 12:38 PM
 
48 posts, read 189,910 times
Reputation: 52
Yes, St. Pete has a lot more to offer a young person than Sarasota. So does Tampa, but St. Pete has the beaches. Clearwater is right there too.

I've always read and fantasized about the weather in coastal California, because it has beautiful beaches like we do only with great temps. It's late October and it's still 90 degrees during the day, and the humidity is always high. The lows are just starting to touch 69 some nights, when were lucky. I walked outside yesterday evening at about 10pm and it was 79 with a heat index of 81, sticky, feels like a jungle...with mosquitos still biting.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2007, 11:10 PM
 
778 posts, read 1,584,070 times
Reputation: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFL4Seasons View Post
Yes, St. Pete has a lot more to offer a young person than Sarasota. So does Tampa, but St. Pete has the beaches. Clearwater is right there too.

I've always read and fantasized about the weather in coastal California, because it has beautiful beaches like we do only with great temps. It's late October and it's still 90 degrees during the day, and the humidity is always high. The lows are just starting to touch 69 some nights, when were lucky. I walked outside yesterday evening at about 10pm and it was 79 with a heat index of 81, sticky, feels like a jungle...with mosquitos still biting.
As I travel to your coast from the SE part of the state I notice a big drop in humidity levels. Tells you how bad it is in SE Florida, perhaps the humidity capital of the free world..lol
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2007, 01:15 AM
 
48 posts, read 189,910 times
Reputation: 52
"As I travel to your coast from the SE part of the state I notice a big drop in humidity levels. Tells you how bad it is in SE Florida, perhaps the humidity capital of the free world..lol"

LoL. Well, I think it depends on the time of the year. The Gulf of Mexico is much warmer than the Atlantic, so there are times when our humidity is higher. Of course you guys have the Everglades on the west side of you as well as the Atlantic on the east side. A double whammy.

At least here in Sarasota we get SOME cool weather...down in Ft. Laud/Miami you get even less than we do. I have my windows open right now as it's about 69 out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2007, 07:22 AM
 
Location: Foothills of the Appalachians
440 posts, read 2,339,973 times
Reputation: 185
We've never lived in Sarasota, and wouldn't call it a "young" city, but we did live in both St Pete & Bradenton (which is close to Sarasota) and spent quite a bit of time in Sarasota. Even though we had lived in Florida and then in Los Angeles, and even though we love it in Florida --- it is a dramatic change from California. In California, you have a perfect climate, you can visit different landscapes by traveling just an hour away, you have options and opportunities, diversity and open minds. We highly recommend that you spend some real time in Sarasota before making the leap. Don't get us wrong, we love Florida, we live up in the Panhandle area and we love it!!! Don't miss the traffic or parking issues at all --- and the quiet of the beach is precious and the Emerald Green waters of the Gulf of Mexico are exquisite. But it is so different from Laguna Beach and will take some adjustments -- and it gets hot, steamy hot.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2007, 02:51 PM
 
960 posts, read 1,541,587 times
Reputation: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by nell1 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am considering moving to Sarasota from L.A., CA. Long story, my bf and I are splitting up and my parents live in Englewood, FL. I love Laguna Beach, CA and my parents say Sarasota has a similiar feel. I am thinking about buying a condo downtown, don't want to deal with the maintenance of a house etc...

Do you like living in Sarasota? I'm only 31 and want to be surrounded by people my age, is that the case in Sarasota?
I've never been to Laguna Beach, but I would have to say Sarasota is not like the Los Angeles area at all. Only similarity would be the beach. Sarasota is a nice town, but it's not the best place for young single people. Tampa and St. Pete are definately a better choice as far as meeting people your own age. The late 20's / early 30's crowd in Sarasota are primarily married with children.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2007, 09:54 PM
 
942 posts, read 1,236,768 times
Reputation: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by nell1 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am considering moving to Sarasota from L.A., CA. Long story, my bf and I are splitting up and my parents live in Englewood, FL. I love Laguna Beach, CA and my parents say Sarasota has a similiar feel. I am thinking about buying a condo downtown, don't want to deal with the maintenance of a house etc...

Do you like living in Sarasota? I'm only 31 and want to be surrounded by people my age, is that the case in Sarasota?
Other than the beach that is about all that Sarasota has in common with Laguna. It is a beautiful place and for those that can afford Sarasota a nice place to live. When I have visited that area I did notice people of all ages, but it is obvious very fast it is more geared for the wealthy retiree and has seemed more so each time I have been there. It is very hard to pick a place to relocate to for some and my best advice for you is this. If you want to make it work there and I guess you can afford it, then you will find a way to make it work for you. However you will not find much of the social outlets for someone your age in Sarasota, maybe you will find people your age, but I would think it would be much more difficult than the LA county, Laguna area. So you would need to spend some extended time in Sarasota and learn about it before you make the leap and move there. In all honesty if I was looking for anything personality wise that resembled places in calif, I think I would have to say the Miami Ft Launderdale areas, and I understand those areas are very pricey and with some problems people seem to want to get away from and fast. Good luck with your decision.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
>
Powered by Foreclosure.com
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top