U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2012, 11:49 PM

87 posts, read 281,105 times

Advertisements

I have four oak trees that need some trimming. A few large branches hanging over the house I really need to take care of. Any good recommendations? We have someone who comes through the neighborhood once in a while but I question whether they are insured or would back up their work. I saw Frankies, out of Palmetto, that had good praises but nut sue if the work in the Palm Aire area. Any recommendations?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 06:37 AM

3,979 posts, read 9,677,888 times
We used TreeMendous Tree in Port Charlotte. They cut down two of our oaks and did a great job. I am not sure if they go to your area. Their web site says North Port, Port Charlotte, Venice, Englewood and Sarasota. They do total tree care, removal, pruning, grafting, landscape design and installation. - treemendoustreeinc.com.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:48 AM

547 posts, read 840,395 times
What timing. Two of our neighbors used a guy who came through the neighborhood knocking on doors. Next day to my surprise my wife had hired them to trim a large oak.
They did a good job at reasonable price. They were respectful, did what they said they would and cleaned up after themselves. They pointed out another oak that the FPL crew had "trimmed", and said they could clean it up. We had them trim that one too.
Just looked like "hard" working guys who worked hard for their money. It helped that our mail carrier had seen them working in the neighborhood all week, and everyone said they were pleased with their work.
Word of mouth still works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarat View Post
I have four oak trees that need some trimming. A few large branches hanging over the house I really need to take care of. Any good recommendations? We have someone who comes through the neighborhood once in a while but I question whether they are insured or would back up their work. I saw Frankies, out of Palmetto, that had good praises but nut sue if the work in the Palm Aire area. Any recommendations?

Old 12-09-2012, 04:20 PM

Picshooter, do you know the name of the company by any chance? Sounds like a good match to me.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:23 PM

Fogot ti ask if anyone has a ballpark price of tree cutting. I am trying to avoid being taken for a ride or be surprised. With four oak trees, I'm assuming it will be just under $1000 but that's a guess. Of course less is better.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:17 PM

284 posts, read 568,546 times
I HIGHLY recommend Black Tie Tree Service (contact info below, I talked with Bruce). They trimmed 3 of my oak trees that were dropping acorns on the roof all night long plus a couple other smaller trees that were overhanging my roof. Total cost was $450, I had two other companies give quotes they were over $1000. Black Tie takes care of the trees for Laurel Oak CC.

Black Tie Tree Svc
Bruce Currier 941-894-7977
bruce@blacktielawn.com

Old 12-10-2012, 08:22 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,739,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picshooter View Post
What timing. Two of our neighbors used a guy who came through the neighborhood knocking on doors. Next day to my surprise my wife had hired them to trim a large oak.
They did a good job at reasonable price. They were respectful, did what they said they would and cleaned up after themselves. They pointed out another oak that the FPL crew had "trimmed", and said they could clean it up. We had them trim that one too.
Just looked like "hard" working guys who worked hard for their money. It helped that our mail carrier had seen them working in the neighborhood all week, and everyone said they were pleased with their work.
Word of mouth still works.
These guys might be legit but just a word to those who are new here. Every winter we get an influx of guys who are just "in the neighborhood" and are offering their services at a good price. Sometimes they are fine but sometimes they do lousy work and most of the time they are unlicensed and uninsured which leaves you exposed to claims against your insurance if anyone gets hurt on your property, if they damage your property, or if the damage a neighbor's property. If they ask for a deposit or partial payment upfront, think twice before going along with it.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:44 AM

547 posts, read 840,395 times
Legit is a good way to put it. I would advise caution before choosing anyone to do work around your home. In THIS case, I had some knowledge of who these folks were. Were they licensed and insured? I would bet against it. Ours was a simple job with little chance for collateral damage.
They asked for nothing in advance. Interestingly we weren't home to pay them when they returned to trim the second oak. The trust was him trusting that we would pay later in the day after the job was done. Again, in THIS case I knew who they were, how to get in touch with them, and their references was the work they did for my neighbors.
If they would have knocked on my door first I would have probably turned them away. I am glad I didn't.
Just a guy with a helper trying to make a living.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
These guys might be legit but just a word to those who are new here. Every winter we get an influx of guys who are just "in the neighborhood" and are offering their services at a good price. Sometimes they are fine but sometimes they do lousy work and most of the time they are unlicensed and uninsured which leaves you exposed to claims against your insurance if anyone gets hurt on your property, if they damage your property, or if the damage a neighbor's property. If they ask for a deposit or partial payment upfront, think twice before going along with it.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:28 PM

3,957 posts, read 6,029,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarat View Post

Frankies does pretty much all of the trimming in my neighborhood (has for a number of years) of tall trees and palms, and our neighborhood is very close to Palm Aire, so I would say yes, they do work in the Palm Aire area.

Their number is 723-3340

Old 12-13-2012, 08:16 PM

Thank you to all who posted. This is really helpful. I will give a couple of your recommendations a call for a quote and hopefully some trimming. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area