Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 02:02 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,841,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandaija2009 View Post
Cleveland??? I mention the Florida crime rate and agree with the facts posted and you want me to move to Cleveland? This is a perfect example of the berating you take from this forum when you DARE mention a bad word about Florida. I feel like I'm dealing with my 4 year old when I tell him not to do something. Instead of agreeing with me, he throws a fit! Just like some of these forum posters, my sister, who has lived in Florida for 20 years, is the same way. If we get together, and I dare to mention something I dislike about Florida, the attack begins automatically. It's absurd, in my opinion. Two weeks ago, we started discussing the Florida education system. I agree it is far from the worst, but it is also far from the best. I told her I am very concerned for my son, as he will be ready for the school system soon. I reiterated about how in New England, where I am originally from, the school systems are the best in the country. Well the fight was on, and the first word out of her mouth.....Newtown. Another ignorant comment, much of what you get from others on this forum. And she is a perfect example, she defends things like the Florida education system with an iron stance, yet her youngest has been to several high schools and even though he is 17 and technically a junior, he has the same amount of credits as a half-year freshman. I swear, maybe the longer you stay here, the more the heat and the sun boils your brain.
You weren't very pleased with Connecticut a few years ago, as I go through your previous comments. I really don't think CT has changed very much since you left. And you want to go back? Perhaps renting might be a wise idea if you move to VT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 07:59 AM

597 posts, read 1,443,223 times
Well I can tell you that Sarasota was invaded by a ton of out of state homeless. They were bussed in to protest the Republican convention and when the convention left town, they stayed and developed a tent city and would line the streets begging for money. Sarasota has 21 places where people can get free hot meals so they were not looking for food money.Obviously! They worked as a group and actually worked shifts. One intersection might have up to 12 working the corners.

Crime went up when they were here. Laws were passed trying to get them out of here and the ACLU sued for them for "freedom of speech" and they stayed. FINALLY laws were passed to get them out of here and their tent city was removed. I am sure they have invaded another city but since they left, our crime has gone down.

This is not my opinion, this is a fact.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:46 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by La-La land View Post
I understand your point, but it would skew the numbers for every other tourist destination in Florida though too. Plus I don't think that tourists are committing much reportable crime beyond spring break shoplifting and assault maybe. I would think that the vast majority of hard-core crime is native to the area.

Look at the crime numbers for any tourist destination; Orlando, Myrtle Beach, Vegas, etc. They are all skewed beyond the norm.

It isn't tourist as in mom, dad, 2.3 kids, it is tourist in any way. Spring break? Convention? Road trip?

I'm not speculating here or giving my opinion. I'm trying to explain the facts.

If you don't think tourists commit hard core crime, you are really naive. Google Miami or Myrtle Beach Memorial Weekend or Winter Music Fest. There's two for you.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:24 AM

216 posts, read 564,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post

Look at the crime numbers for any tourist destination; Orlando, Myrtle Beach, Vegas, etc. They are all skewed beyond the norm.

It isn't tourist as in mom, dad, 2.3 kids, it is tourist in any way. Spring break? Convention? Road trip?

I'm not speculating here or giving my opinion. I'm trying to explain the facts.

If you don't think tourists commit hard core crime, you are really naive. Google Miami or Myrtle Beach Memorial Weekend or Winter Music Fest. There's two for you.
The facts aren't "skewed", I believe it's your interpretation of the facts that are twisted, or again as you put it "skewed". A tourist is mom, dad, and the 2.3 kids. The definition if a tourist is on who visits an area for pleasure, preferably sightseeing. The areas you mentioned are largely "tourist destinations". Criminals flock to these area to target the tourists because they are easy prey. I don't get why it is so hard for you to understand. A criminal is a criminal, a tourist is a tourist. Criminals do travel to commit crimes, but an area with a large number of tourists and a high crime rate doesn't mean the tourists are committing the crimes.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:39 AM

216 posts, read 564,602 times
You must be a politician. When asked about the escalating violent crime rate, the Orlando mayor said your exact words. "The numbers aren't correct because we have over 1 million visitors a year". Last I checked, it wasn't unsafe to walk through Disney! It's a cop-out, plain and simple.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:39 PM

42 posts, read 98,632 times
Post #7 made a valid point about living in Toledo, where I live. I must say that Sarasota being #100 does not scare me! I've had a house in Venice, Fla. for a few years and absolutely love it there. Very low crime, and Sarasota is close by for night life.
We've been going to Sarasota on vacation for 30 years and have never been victims of any type of crime. It has definitely grown in that time and is very congested now, which is why we chose Venice. However, Sarasota has so much to offer and that trumps being #100 on the crime list!

Old 08-02-2013, 08:35 AM

7 posts, read 8,254 times
These "statistics" have zero value. There is no documentation of the methodology behind them. Even without documentation the mere fact that (just for example) cities like Jacksonville, Fl (with the highest murder rates in the state) aren't mentioned as one of the 100 most dangerous cities should give you a hint.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:38 AM

166 posts, read 300,182 times
Unhappy I saw those tent cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLidoBeach View Post
Well I can tell you that Sarasota was invaded by a ton of out of state homeless. They were bussed in to protest the Republican convention and when the convention left town, they stayed and developed a tent city and would line the streets begging for money. Sarasota has 21 places where people can get free hot meals so they were not looking for food money.Obviously! They worked as a group and actually worked shifts. One intersection might have up to 12 working the corners.

Crime went up when they were here. Laws were passed trying to get them out of here and the ACLU sued for them for "freedom of speech" and they stayed. FINALLY laws were passed to get them out of here and their tent city was removed. I am sure they have invaded another city but since they left, our crime has gone down.

This is not my opinion, this is a fact.

Lived in Sarasota briefly.Parts of that town are lovely and wealthy.Like you said, though,an inordinate amount of street and tent people.Also,, I was amazed at the numbers of hookers and males,who,sniffing out the idea of money around me,tried to hustle me into living with them,or in one sad case of an alcoholic neighbor of mine---proposed marriage.
I got out of Florida because even though parts are beautiful,the crime,bugs,heat,prices and humidity did it for me.At one point my rent was so high I could not even afford a phone.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:02 PM

597 posts, read 1,443,223 times
I agree 100%. There are getting to be more creepy people here. I have no idea what they are coming for, but they are multiplying. It's not cheap to live here so I don't know what is attracting them.

My friend lived in Lido and she said she always had wierd men coming up and knocking on the door and would actually scream in at her to open up!. Once there were 3 guys, during the day pounding on the door saying they wanted to talk to her about Martin Luther King! LOL I would have thought there would be less odd balls in Lido, but they are everywhere.

Bugs, snakes and wierdo's, not to mention the the humidity. Welcome to Sarasota.

Old 08-02-2013, 02:54 PM

166 posts, read 300,182 times
Default wow-i believe it

I stayed for a while in Tampa before I left for Sarasota and actually saw a poor man get beat on the head with a brick! He could still walk and talk but there were HOLES IN HIS HEAD.I had never seen violence like that in my life--I was terrified.

When I was growing up,Florida was just considered to be Heaven--everyone wanted to retire there.The short time I was there I heard that the state prison system was about to release 5,000 SEX OFFENDERS.Ugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area