Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2013, 01:52 PM

3 posts, read 59,204 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any idea what animal would make a hole like this? We currently have 5-10 in the front yard and new ones are appearing every day. In the backyard there's another 5-10. They seem to be fairly clustered together.

Strangely, some are close to the concrete pathway to the house in the front yard and in the backyard there's a couple close to the the concrete slab foundation for the lanai.
They don't seem to be very deep, maybe 12-18 inches at most and widest would be 6 inches across.

Would possums dig holes like this?

We're in the suburbs of Sarasota, if that helps.
Thanks for any ideas!
Attached Thumbnails
What's digging these holes?-cam00195.jpg   What's digging these holes?-cam00196.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 02:14 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,100,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbwf View Post
Does anyone have any idea what animal would make a hole like this? We currently have 5-10 in the front yard and new ones are appearing every day. In the backyard there's another 5-10. They seem to be fairly clustered together.

Strangely, some are close to the concrete pathway to the house in the front yard and in the backyard there's a couple close to the the concrete slab foundation for the lanai.
They don't seem to be very deep, maybe 12-18 inches at most and widest would be 6 inches across.

Would possums dig holes like this?

We're in the suburbs of Sarasota, if that helps.
Thanks for any ideas!
They are all over my yard, too. Possums can't dig, I believe it's raccoons - I have seen them in my yard at night, however I haven't caught them digging the holes. I also have mole tunnels which surprised me because I didn't think moles lived down here.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:31 PM

37 posts, read 76,690 times
It may be skunks trying to find grubs in the grass.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:05 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,543,047 times
It may be armadillos. They used to dig holes like that around our oak tree on our side yard. They are looking for food (grubs and earth worms). And they must be getting something if they keep digging for more. Look it up on the Internet and you will see holes just like yours.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:43 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,371,675 times
I vote armadillos. Ive caught them in the act in my yard.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:46 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,771,905 times
I'd also say armadillos. Do you hear any shrill shreaking after dark? They can be noisey.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:51 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,244,284 times
Looks like armadillo to me. They tend to like to burrow under concrete for some reason. Driveway slabs pool aprons a/c slabs and house slabs usually behind shrubs. I was told by a pest control guy in Hernando County that armadillos digging under your house foundation can sometimes void your termite warrenty because it breaks the termite "barrier".

Old 01-17-2013, 09:41 AM

3 posts, read 59,204 times
Thanks for the responses! I haven't heard any shrill shrieking, but I'm going to set up some cameras to see if I can catch it/them in the act to confirm.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:57 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,371,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
Looks like armadillo to me. They tend to like to burrow under concrete for some reason. Driveway slabs pool aprons a/c slabs and house slabs usually behind shrubs. I was told by a pest control guy in Hernando County that armadillos digging under your house foundation can sometimes void your termite warrenty because it breaks the termite "barrier".
If you have termite service from a reputable company THEY are responsible for any termite damage.

Just to add I have never heard them make a sound but have seen them.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:11 AM

137 posts, read 330,975 times
i'll also vote for the armadillo. we had one dig holes just like your pictures in our yard.

they are digging for bugs to eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area