Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 10:54 AM

488 posts, read 618,806 times

Advertisements

Like sleeping outside and living from one meal to the next isn't hard enough you've got people sitting in their air conditioned homes on there computers complaining about how unsightly and horrible these people are. The chances of being seriously accosted by a homeless person are about the same as getting struck by lightning. Show a little compassion before going to sleep in your comfy bed. Many of these people suffer from disabilities and hardships and come from backgrounds you can't even fathom. Some of them are bad people but so are many people who live indoors and drive cars. Try some compassion on for size. It's what Jesus would want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 11:02 AM

6,681 posts, read 4,379,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester Burnett View Post
Like sleeping outside and living from one meal to the next isn't hard enough you've got people sitting in their air conditioned homes on there computers complaining about how unsightly and horrible these people are. The chances of being seriously accosted by a homeless person are about the same as getting struck by lightning. Show a little compassion before going to sleep in your comfy bed. Many of these people suffer from disabilities and hardships and come from backgrounds you can't even fathom. Some of them are bad people but so are many people who live indoors and drive cars. Try some compassion on for size. It's what Jesus would want.
I'm not sure if your comment was directed at me? However IMO having a well run organized living site in a nice outdoor area with showsers, electricity available, food, counselors, cell phones to help find work, etc is being very compassionate and smart. Why would a homeless person prefer to sleep and live in a concrete jungle downtown and use the restrooms in the library to clean-up? More green space would be nicer and less stressful. How is this lacking compassion?

I oppose the law that Sarasota passed making it illegal to sleep outdoors.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:11 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,356,360 times
Quote:
I agree with everything you said until your last sentence. I know way too many bible thumpers that have not one ounce of compassion for their fellow man. That is all......

Old 01-20-2013, 11:19 AM

509 posts, read 903,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nphomeowner View Post
I agree with everything you said until your last sentence. I know way too many bible thumpers that have not one ounce of compassion for their fellow man. That is all......
Don't get it twisted, those bible thumpers have nothing,... I mean not a damn thing to do with Jesus, or anything he would want.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:52 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,356,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frida7 View Post
Don't get it twisted, those bible thumpers have nothing,... I mean not a damn thing to do with Jesus, or anything he would want.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:06 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,903,966 times
Quote:
Show a little compassion before going to sleep in your comfy bed. Many of these people suffer from disabilities and hardships and come from backgrounds you can't even fathom. Some of them are bad people but so are many people who live indoors and drive cars. Try some compassion on for size. It's what Jesus would want.

Perhaps you should post your home address and let them come on over for a spell...?

Old 01-20-2013, 06:22 PM

56 posts, read 235,550 times
While this board has contained some interesting dialogue concerning the obligations that society has towards the homeless, I wonder what obligations the homeless has to society.

Respectfully submitted,
Catsupbottle

Old 01-20-2013, 06:55 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,328,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsupbottle View Post
While this board has contained some interesting dialogue concerning the obligations that society has towards the homeless, I wonder what obligations the homeless has to society.

Respectfully submitted,
Catsupbottle
Come on. You can do better than that. You're not breaking any interesting philosophical ground with this measly offering. Are you expecting a conversation about John Stuart Mill or even John Rawls?

Man up! Provoke more effectively!!

Respectfully submitted,
Rushmore

Old 01-20-2013, 07:00 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,370,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
If there are not enough shelters for all the homeless - then what good does it do for Sarasota to pass a law criminalizing sleeping outdoors?
the issue is NOT a lack of shelters. The issues is....the current shelter is only for sleeping. they open in the evening and everyone must leave pretty early in the morning. The shelter is left empty during the day. This is done to encourage the homeless to get jobs...go to work during the day.

Instead of going to work, many of the homeless hang out at the parks and the library. They have nowhere else to go during the day because the shelter is closed during the day. Once the shelter opens for the evening, the homeless go there to sleep.

The soup kitchen is near the shelter and they go there for the free food. Many have no reason(since no car) to go too far away from the free food and the free sleeping quarters, since they have to be close to the food/shelter.

It's like when you feed wild animals. Even though they are free to go elsewhere, they will hang out nearby waiting for the next free meal that they have been conditioned to get. Though I am sure there are many that use it(shelter/food) temporarily while they get jobs and get back on their feet, there is always a group that is hanging out at the park and library area, day in and day out.

Downtown Sarasota has created this homeless issue by having the shelter and food kitchen in that area. If you moved the shelter and food kitchen 15 miles away, the homeless would go with it and find another park close to the free food and shelter.

It's like that old saying from the movie "If you build it, they will come.". They built a new shelter and food kitchen approx 10 years ago, and they (homeless) came. Word even spread up north about it.

Rehabbing homeless only goes so far when you have new groups of homeless coming every winter from cold weather states ...heading directly to downtown Sarasota for the free food/shelter in a warm climate. When the weather gets better up north, many of them head north. There is a much smaller subset of year-round homeless in Sarasota. If every signle Sarasota homeless person found a place this live, there would still be a whole new set arriving from up north as soon as the cold weather states start getting too cold.

Last edited by sware2cod; 01-20-2013 at 07:16 PM..

Old 01-20-2013, 07:01 PM

56 posts, read 235,550 times
Sorry that was my best shot.

With apologies for my ignorance,
Catsupbottle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area