U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 11:05 AM

279 posts, read 531,533 times

Advertisements

Hi, so I noticed homes and businesses around town with colorful geraniums and impatiens. I would like to plant some but not sure if they are year round here, how they'll do through the summer, etc. I have lots of shade and partial shade so I thought the impatiens may do good there while the geraniums may do well in my sunnier spots (filtered sun, not full sun)

What do you think? I want to brighten things up a little (lots of green here!) but don't want to throw money away buying the wrong flowers. I want to line the side of my driveway and walkway so it's quite a few plants and I am not known for my green thumb! lol
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 01:23 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,091,897 times
Vinca grows very well in sun or shade. They look like the impatients but don't require near the TLC. They come in lots of colors. Even though they are annuals mine have been in almost two years now. They hold up to the summer sun very well.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:27 PM

547 posts, read 832,375 times
If you live in Sarasota, or even if you don't I would recommend a visit to Albritton's nursery on Proctor Road.
Talk to Robert Albritton if you can. He is very knowledgeable regarding Florida landscaping. I would say an expert.
Disclaimer: I have no personal connection other than as a customer.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:42 PM

6,864 posts, read 10,807,016 times
Most flowers need sun all day, some can thrive in partial sun.
Petunia, Marigold, Vinca/periwinkle, penta, Blue Daze, Lantana, Impatiens [need alot of water], not a 'flower' but many colorful varieties - Coleus [pinch flowers for continued growing]

Old 02-12-2013, 05:47 AM

11,785 posts, read 11,025,697 times
Impatiens will die down here unless they get a lot of shade. They cannot take full sun.

Only water at night, especially in the summer.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:42 AM

279 posts, read 531,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Impatiens will die down here unless they get a lot of shade. They cannot take full sun.

Only water at night, especially in the summer.
i have lots of shade and a drip watering system. i don't see the point in wasting water and effort on a lawn or battling the strong sun with plants that would burn up. the drip lines go to the spots that need water and I only run it for short times.

I would like some color though. I'll keep doing my homework.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:54 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,676,036 times
Ask any nursery in FL for "Florida Friendly" plants that are drought tolerant and freeze tolerant. For instance, Hibiscus is beautiful and grows well in FL but a frost can kill it in a heartbeat. That way, you can grow plants that will be both beautiful and will be easier to grow and maintain.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:53 AM

338 posts, read 937,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
Ask any nursery in FL for "Florida Friendly" plants that are drought tolerant and freeze tolerant. For instance, Hibiscus is beautiful and grows well in FL but a frost can kill it in a heartbeat. That way, you can grow plants that will be both beautiful and will be easier to grow and maintain.
Hibiscus grows quite tall and in my 30+yrs in Florida I never had one killed by a freeze. You can cut them back almost to the ground and they will recover.i think the poster is looking for something closer to the ground. I have had good luck with Pentas. They bloom better with Lots of sun but I find them fairly easy to maintain.they are inexpensive and come in many colors.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:58 AM

11,785 posts, read 11,025,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoOsprey View Post
i have lots of shade and a drip watering system. i don't see the point in wasting water and effort on a lawn or battling the strong sun with plants that would burn up. the drip lines go to the spots that need water and I only run it for short times.

I would like some color though. I'll keep doing my homework.
Bougainvilla is very hearty however it is more of a bush than a plant. However, when in bloom they are beautiful.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:12 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,434,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Bougainvilla is very hearty however it is more of a bush than a plant. However, when in bloom they are beautiful.
But watch out for the nasty thorns! We have Bougainvilla all around the perimeter of our house & I love them but when it comes time for trimming- I won't touch the things. Yikes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area