Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 11:06 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,415,796 times

Advertisements

Seems there is a constant stream of fun things happening on Siesta Key Beach, from drum circles and yoga to sand sculpture and bikini contests, to strange hurricane wash-ashores. Plus, who can forget the old classic FL dude who's so wrinkly tan that he looks orange.

What's the weirdest most awesome funny thing you've ever seen on Siesta Key Beach, or other FL beach in the Sarasota area? Let's have some great stories!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 12:12 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
These aren't all exactly on the beach and not exactly that weird but here are a few pics.

I saw this dolphin at Gilchrist Park in Punta Gorda. It has some kind of disease and barnacles on its fins:

This gator in the Myakka

Bobcat in my backyard in North Port

Big Goliath Grouper formerly known as a Jews fish. Caught on Mother's Day off of Boca Grande Beach

Old 02-14-2013, 02:10 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,373,994 times
Funniest thing I've seen on the beach is the guy we now refer to as "pouch man". I first thought he was naked but later noticed his skin colored "pouch". Sorry but I don't have pictures! Actually I think you should be glad.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:16 PM

I could tell you some stories about when Lido Beach was a nude beach back in the 70's....LOL

Old 02-14-2013, 06:57 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
I could tell you some stories about when Lido Beach was a nude beach back in the 70's....LOL
SoFLGal, I don't know if you know but if you ever see a dolphin like that again, call 911 and they will call Mote and send someone out immediately. They will rehab him then let him loose.

Is the photo recent? If so, I'll have my husband call them. He does a lot of work with Mote.

I didn't see this my self, but I think the washed up Lego Man has to be the weirdest thing ever.

Giant Lego man washes up on Siesta Key beach in Sarasota | HeraldTribune.com

I did find a message in a bottle in June on Siesta Key at Sandollar Beach but I was able to see enough inside to figure out that it only drifted from Lido so I threw it back.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:58 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Forgot to ask, was the Jewfish a release?

Old 02-15-2013, 08:59 AM

Yes, the Jewfish was a catch and release for a tournament.

That dolphin pic was taken over a year ago but I've seen that same one a few times in Gilchrist Park in Punta Gorda right off the pier. I think it kind of hangs out there.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:46 AM

4,619 posts, read 7,539,060 times
In the weird category for seeing at the beach, I would have to say Mummers on Coquina Beach back in the late 1980's. Apparently a group from a wedding party decided to carry the celebration out to the beach, and the group included some Mummers, which dress in really bright colored costumes with feathers and play little stringed instruments that sort of look like little guitars. That was quite a party.

Someone mentioned Lido Beach. Back about 10 years ago there was a BIG controversy, which ultimately lead to a ban, on thong bikinis at that beach. Those are the ones that basically have a small strip running up the backside, leaving the cheeks hanging out. The controversy even made it to the national news and on onto a couple of televised talk shows at that time. Since Lido Beach is one of our favorites, we heard a lot of jokes from friends and family up north during that little news event ....

Old 02-15-2013, 02:33 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,415,796 times
Fun stuff! Pictures are encouraged.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:59 PM

288 posts, read 452,763 times
Cool pictures SoFlGal,
Is a fish like that edible or to big/old??? Awesome sight but glad he was released. I think I'd pass out if I see one while in the water lol

Wow, Dolphin with barnacles, never heard of that at all.....

I've seen the 'mom' of all gators at Myakka, she had a head the size of a SUV

SunshineRules,
We call those thongs b*tt floss lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area