Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2013, 09:51 AM

80 posts, read 184,805 times

Advertisements

Now that we've found something, can anyone recommend a fabulous home inspector---one that will allow you to accompany them on the inspection and ask questions.

We've been burned in the past, as have friends (who are Realtors!). Is there some sort of super
license that a good one would have? Things they have missed are: faulty plumbing and drainage issues, rotting wooden gutters (that were painted over--- cost $3,500 to replace) sub-terranean termites, appliances that did not work ( hermador self -cleaning feature on the oven was broken, rotted piping in the Jacuzzi), cracked foundation, etc. etc. etc.

Is there a policy you can buy that insures you against a bad home inspection in Florida?

We've been told of one particular person to avoid, any other info would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 03:24 PM

153 posts, read 192,042 times
I'm sure you'll get plenty of good answers from the people here (I'm a year away from buying and curious as well) but I also wanted to latch on to your question and ask the realtors here, does anyone ever do more than one home inspection? Like hypothetically if I were to watch too many episodes of Holmes Inspection on HGTV and got overly paranoid, could I hire three different home inspectors to show up separately in a day? I imagine the seller might be irked, but if there was nothing to hide and I was paying why should it matter?

I was just curious if that ever happens out there? Or is it frowned upon, or just plan crazy?

Old 02-17-2013, 05:00 PM

Default Home inspector

IS JUST PLAIN EXPENSIVE---OTHERWISE, KNOCK YOURSELF OUT...............

Old 02-17-2013, 08:57 PM

807 posts, read 3,187,166 times
All too often, home inspectors turn out to be a waste of money. They have to find some things to justify their fees. Their reports will give general concerns about wiring or roofing and recommend a professional contractor inspect and repair. Buyers would be better off calling specialty contractors for inspections to begin with.
As the service manager for an electrical contractor, I've had more than my fair share of calls from folks with concerns due to a home inspection report. many of these guys don't know the codes and will admit as much when asked. They'll dramatize their reports with comments like "dangerous" and "fire hazard" when the reality is quite different.
I'm not saying there aren't any out there worth hiring. I will tell you that I haven't found one I'd be willing to pay.
Check the address with county records for permits pulled for a new roof or an electrical service change. If there are any, you'll know how old it is. If not, assume it's original. Sellers are required to reveal any unpermitted work done on the home and can be held accountable if they fudge on the contract.
Some homes offer a warranty. Read the contract closely. Those warrantys are usually not worth the paper they're written on. The realtor collected a commission on that warranty so strongly suggested the seller provide it. There are many loopholes in them limiting the liability of the warranty company.

This can be very much like buying a used car. Have it checked out by professionals that know their business and have no reason to lean one way or the other.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:07 AM

You are correct. We did look at all the permits and found that the roof the seller told us was 12 years old, was over 20 years old, and the was the original roof....however, we did have it inspected at a cost of $260 and it does need a new roof soon..........She hasn't even accepted out bid yet....but you need to know what your real expenses will be before you can make an informed offer.

We just put a $26,000 roof on our primary home----not looking forward to the experience again soon....but the roof does make the home....our home is all roof at 105 long......so it's the first thing you see....

Old 02-18-2013, 12:14 PM

4,615 posts, read 7,537,235 times
If the roof is that old, you may wish to call a few insurance agents for quotes. Many are now refusing to insure roofs once they hit 15 years of age if shingle, you'll have to ask about tile roofs. If they do insure older roofs, it may be significantly more expensive. Some companies are putting homes with older roofs into the Citizens pool.

I have to disagree with another poster here about the value of home inspections. I've been attending home inspections for 14 years and cannot begin to tell you how many issues are uncovered by a good home inspector. Wiring not to code, wood rot, roof issues, AC issues, etc. Remaining life expectancy of major appliances. A good home inspector will even point out cosmetic (but expensive) issues such as chalking paint that indicates an exterior paint job will be needed in the near future.

Home inspectors in FL are now licensed by the state of FL, so there are educational requirements and testing. However, the better home inspectors, in my opinion, are ones that have gone beyond the minimal state requirements and become members of ASHI (American Society of Home Inspectors) or FABI (FL Association of Building Inspectors). Both have official web sites. Of the two, my preference is for ASHI inspectors due to the rigorous process they have to go through to become full members. Of the ASHI inspectors in our area, there are several that stand out from the others, in my opinion. Beacause you are under contract through a real estate agent, I cannot give specific names here as we agents have to be careful not to interfere in another agent's relationship with their customer.

Termite issues are not covered by home inspectors in FL, for that you will need an appropriately licensed pest inspector. There are a number of good pest companies in our area that provide WDO inspections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area