U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2013, 08:18 AM

112 posts, read 168,767 times

Advertisements

I'm looking into different areas of FLorida as a teacher. I know I hear a lot of awful things about being a teacher in Florida and the pay cut. How true is all that? There are tons of teachers in Florida and it can't be so terrible for all of them? I know there is a job fair in June I can try and attend. I know I'd have to take a pay cut, but I'm willing to just to get away from NJ.

I teach early childhood and this is my 8th year and have a master's degree. I don't even mind working an 11 month contract as opposed to the 10 month. It's just my husband and I so no children and no pets. My husband will look for jobs as an alcohol or drug counselor.

Has anyone had success leaving a northern state and finding a teaching job in this area? I know people say that places like Houston and Arizona have more jobs, but I don't want to live in a desert or land locked area. I'd like to live somewhere within an hour of a beach. Family and friends up here think I'm crazy for wanting to move to Florida because NYC is right across the river from my town. Been in NJ all my life and I'm way over it and how great people think it is that I'm just across the river from NYC. NYC means nothing to me anymore and I could care less how far away I am from it. Actually, the further away the better.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 08:39 AM

913 posts, read 2,222,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2? View Post
I'm looking into different areas of FLorida as a teacher. I know I hear a lot of awful things about being a teacher in Florida and the pay cut. How true is all that? There are tons of teachers in Florida and it can't be so terrible for all of them? I know there is a job fair in June I can try and attend. I know I'd have to take a pay cut, but I'm willing to just to get away from NJ.

I teach early childhood and this is my 8th year and have a master's degree. I don't even mind working an 11 month contract as opposed to the 10 month. It's just my husband and I so no children and no pets. My husband will look for jobs as an alcohol or drug counselor.

Has anyone had success leaving a northern state and finding a teaching job in this area? I know people say that places like Houston and Arizona have more jobs, but I don't want to live in a desert or land locked area. I'd like to live somewhere within an hour of a beach. Family and friends up here think I'm crazy for wanting to move to Florida because NYC is right across the river from my town. Been in NJ all my life and I'm way over it and how great people think it is that I'm just across the river from NYC. NYC means nothing to me anymore and I could care less how far away I am from it. Actually, the further away the better.
I was in the same situation about 20 years ago and decided to stay up north. At that time finding a job was pretty easy, but money was the big thing. At that time my salary would have been 20-30 percent less. Now, I am vested in the retirement system, so making a change would set my retirement back several years. Try this website.

Teach in Florida > Home

Good luck.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:34 AM

3,979 posts, read 9,684,690 times
I moved here in 2004. I got offered a teaching job down here before I moved. I was a Business Teacher from NY State. I have teacher certification in Elementary Ed, Business Ed and Marketing and I also have a master's degree. I transferred all of my certifications down here.

You need to go to the Florida Department of Education Certification web site at: Educator Certification. Check to see what you need to do. You can't even apply for jobs unless you get your temporary certificate down here.

If you go to the Sarasota County Schools web page at: Sarasota County Schools, Home and go to the Human Resources page it will tell you what you need to do to apply.

Many teachers have been laid off or let go or shifted around. And they have gone many years without a pay increase. I took a big cut in pay to teach down here, but you don't have state taxes taken out of your pay, so that makes some difference. I taught in Saraosta County Schools and Charlotte County Schools. My position as the instructor for the Administrative Assistant Program at Charlotte Technical Center was eliminated. The entire Accounting and Administrative Assistant Programs were completely eliminated. So, I was out of a job and decided not to stay in teaching after 24 years. I am now a Realtor and can honestly say that I will NEVER go back to teaching.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:02 PM

1,938 posts, read 5,943,396 times
I moved from Chicago and found a teaching job, however that was 6 years ago. Sarasota has hiring freezes left and right...Manatee county has A LOT of schools and many jobs posted as well. However, be aware that most of them are on a one year only contract and you may not be needed the following year. Google "Pats of Manatee County"-the application and reference requirements are lengthy...good luck. Don't forget to check private schools also.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:02 PM

11,835 posts, read 11,243,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2? View Post

Has anyone had success leaving a northern state and finding a teaching job in this area? I know people say that places like Houston and Arizona have more jobs, but I don't want to live in a desert or land locked area. I'd like to live somewhere within an hour of a beach..
You realize Houston is less than an hour from the beach right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area