Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 04:39 AM

425 posts, read 1,104,553 times

Advertisements

we are one of the people that own one of the lots in an undeveloped area of north port we bought it back in the early 2000's thinking that we would build on it once we retired, it is on a canal but,uninhabitable for right now. we spent way to much,and are just holding onto it until the price goes up and we can sell it, we bought a home in a 55 park 6 yrs ago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 09:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,209 times
I am very much encouraged that people are paying up to $50000 for lots. I have three fully serviced lots (together) on Paigo Lane in North Port and was offered $48, 000. each about 8 years ago(2005). I did not sell them as my son was in Junior High and it was intended to fund University. Now that he is in university I would like to know if I am now back at that price . Please email me at [email]anthow6@rogers.com[/email]. Anthony.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:24 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,103,587 times
If you are encouraged that people are paying $50k, it makes me think you did not read the whole thread and the circumstances under which people were induced to pay that amount.

If I am reading your post wrong, I apologize in advance for what I am about to say. Your post smells of a shameless solicitation for someone to buy your property. But hey, college is expensive and I am sure you are a good dad trying to pay for your child's education. but this is not what this forum is for.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:44 AM

3,179 posts, read 5,997,474 times
Off the topic of lots, but university is not the parents' responsibility to pay for. It teaches zero accountability to the kids (young adults)

Old 09-20-2013, 06:27 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,543,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthow6 View Post
I am very much encouraged that people are paying up to $50000 for lots. I have three fully serviced lots (together) on Paigo Lane in North Port and was offered $48, 000. each about 8 years ago(2005). I did not sell them as my son was in Junior High and it was intended to fund University. Now that he is in university I would like to know if I am now back at that price . Please email me at anthow6@rogers.com. Anthony.
Lots in the neighborhood of Paigo Lane are selling around $4,000 to $4,500 per lot within the past 3 months. The list prices are at $4,000 to $7,000 per lot. Not even close to 2005 prices and I don't see them rising to 2005 prices in the near future even though new construction is on the rise.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthow6 View Post
I am very much encouraged that people are paying up to $50000 for lots. I have three fully serviced lots (together) on Paigo Lane in North Port and was offered $48, 000. each about 8 years ago(2005). I did not sell them as my son was in Junior High and it was intended to fund University. Now that he is in university I would like to know if I am now back at that price . Please email me at anthow6@rogers.com. Anthony.
Gulf-access waterfront lots aren't even going for $50k. Your NP lots won't likely be worth that much in your lifetime.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:10 AM

378 posts, read 628,803 times
I keep a close eye on the sale of lots in my area of PC/NP and I have noticed another company making real money, as in double the price they paid for the lots, selling to the French. The company is LAND INVESTORS CORPORATION and they are based out of Fort Meyers. They must have a French Connection to be able to flip the lots so fast.
Also a couple of lots went to Australian buyers this year although they did not pay premium price as did the French buyers.
For several years after the crash lots were not even in the selling equation in this area. Now that there are fewer houses for sale the demand has picked up. More people are listing their lots and the asking price often has something to do with the price the sellers paid. Many paid too much during the boom and now they think they have a chance to recoup. Unknown at this time if this strategy will work.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:12 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,998,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
Off the topic of lots, but university is not the parents' responsibility to pay for. It teaches zero accountability to the kids (young adults)
How, on earth, could an 18 year old pay for college on his/her own? I get the idea of teaching the kids to be responsible, but to go to a state University, with room and board; without planning most parents can't afford that, let alone a kid!

We started the prepaid college plan for our son before he turned 2 years old. In my family, college is not optional, it is mandatory.

Old 09-20-2013, 03:40 PM

Mandatory or not, they can in fact do it on their own. There are many many assistant opportunities. Living on campus at a state university is not the only viable option either. I was the first and only person in my entire family (including extended) to get a bachelor's degree, but I didn't start until I was 22. I worked full time days and took night classes. My employer (who I'm still with) picked up 70% of the tab after grades came out and I had a B or better. I honestly think waiting a few years drastically helped me focus more when I did go. Plus, never living on campus (I had bought my own house at 23) I wasn't tempted to party every night. To each his own of course. Just offering alternative insight. We will assist our son with school, but we certainly will not be tapping our retirement savings to pay for his college.

Old 09-20-2013, 04:52 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,998,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
So, since you will be assisting your son with college, you didn't actually mean what you said here? Why say it at all, then? I think it's commendable you were able to do it on your own, but the reality is most are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area