Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 11:01 AM

288 posts, read 450,658 times

Advertisements

Because they can?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 07:54 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,524,542 times
yes--think that is probably most likely
so many vacation homes with long periods of vacancy leave people feeling more vulnerable especially when they are so distant--not like they went across town to visit friends for dinner
the fact that many homeowners in FL are seasonal also probably means less sense of neighborhood connection--someone to "watch" your place when you are gone...
but that varies with each individual

we consider doing that in FL but our daughter is next door and our neighborhood really seems to be pretty safe...
there are no privacy fences--just low ones--and that works both ways--you do lose privacy
but it makes it much easier for your neighbors--who may or may not be home--to see if someone is going into your home through the back and carrying out stuff...

I would be much more likely to get active security system in our DFW home when we start coming to FL for longer periods of time...
although our neighborhood there is very safe--
i.e. I drove off one morning to do errands and accidentally left my garage door and the metal security gates across the driveway open
Meant to leave open the gates because our cleaner was coming and she parks on the driveway but didn't mean to leave open the garage doors--
the entire house was there for the taking...
nothing untoward happened...cleaner arrived after the house was basically wide open for 2 hours...
lucky---yes...would not take chance on the same result if it happened again...

PS--for what it is worth, we have been pricing patio/driveway replacing and some work on pool cage screen and some landscaping done...
Several of the contractors we have talked to have made comments about some people taking advantage of "elderly" residents...by inflating pricing...
so don't know if that takes any responsibility for higher security charges...

Old 03-23-2013, 06:48 PM

15 posts, read 36,010 times
Did I miss it? What is the cost of security in Sarasota per month?
We are in a very sleepy town of CT with little crime and we still pay $35 per month. Is that expensive?

BTW- I don't think florida is expensive at all, compared to where I live - it is cheap.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:02 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,258,374 times
Yes, that is expensive. I pay about $130 a year and the monitoring company has excellent response and nation wide service.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:27 AM

219 posts, read 674,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryblueberry View Post
Did I miss it? What is the cost of security in Sarasota per month?
We are in a very sleepy town of CT with little crime and we still pay $35 per month. Is that expensive?

BTW- I don't think florida is expensive at all, compared to where I live - it is cheap.
WE PAY 63.00 per quarter

Old 03-29-2013, 11:15 AM

57 posts, read 72,697 times
Default Reasonable security?

Decided to buy cameras and monitor from our home and office computers...we can also turn lights on and off, control temperature, and listen on our computers or smartphone. Tried it at home and will move equipment to Sarasota when we close. Works fine. Also, will be helpful to see if yard crew and pool person show up when they are supposed to!

I guess the $54.99 quarterly monitoring rate we pay here is not going to be found in Sarasota--

Old 03-29-2013, 02:16 PM

288 posts, read 450,658 times
Sounds like a good idea. Would you mind sharing the name of the equipment you bought and a price point?

Old 03-29-2013, 06:58 PM

398 posts, read 819,386 times
So ? What kind of quote did you get & who from?

Old 03-30-2013, 02:45 PM

57 posts, read 72,697 times
We bought all the cameras from Verizon here where we live. Cost might be different cost in Florida, but we are moving them there so we know they're compatible with Verizon Fios. It's add an additional $10 a month to our Verizon bill for monitoring and controls.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:49 PM

244 posts, read 485,713 times
I have three German Shepherd Dogs Best security system ever
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area