U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 10:04 PM

10,139 posts, read 15,945,524 times

Advertisements

I just interviewed with a high tech sales company in Sarasota and they asked me how serious I was considering moving from Denver. I said serious my wife and I have thought about for a few years and depending on how the process goes, well so far, we would like to fly down scout some places to live and get a feel for the area. We have never been to Sarasota.

About us. No kids probably never have any, no pets, we are mid 40's. Simple and just want quiet, safe, and reasonable cost for a rental to start, 2beds 2 baths.

How is crime, traffic, and general economy. I know FL as a whole is struggling a big.

TIA
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 10:14 PM

11,771 posts, read 11,022,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
How is crime, traffic, and general economy. I know FL as a whole is struggling a big.

TIA
Sarasota isn't struggling, has a very wealthy base. I think you and your wife would really enjoy Sarasota if you like the arts, outdoor activities like scuba, swimming, beach, boating, diving, tennis, golf, great dining, theater, galleries, live music, friendly people, close proximity to professional sports, close proximity to the worlds best theme parks, and fantastic beaches. Actually, some of the best beaches in the US.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Sarasota isn't struggling, has a very wealthy base. I think you and your wife would really enjoy Sarasota if you like the arts, outdoor activities like scuba, swimming, beach, boating, diving, tennis, golf, great dining, theater, galleries, live music, friendly people, close proximity to professional sports, close proximity to the worlds best theme parks, and fantastic beaches. Actually, some of the best beaches in the US.
Great I look forward to more replies. How about crime and traffic. I would guess based on your post crime would be limited to pockets? Should I avoid any areas to look for a rental?

Old 04-01-2013, 10:57 PM

11,771 posts, read 11,022,220 times
Quote:
Great I look forward to more replies. How about crime and traffic. I would guess based on your post crime would be limited to pockets? Should I avoid any areas to look for a rental?
Please keep in mind I am responding to Sarasota specifically and not the greater Sarasota area.

Yes, crime is mostly in pockets, traffic is a beast January through Easter/April on Tamiami/US 41.

Avoid renting in Newtown.

Sarasota proper is expensive to rent. I would suggest when you come down to scout out Sarasota, you go with a rental such as www.VRBO.com and try and get into a neighborhood and not on one of the beaches. Look at downtown, Gulfstream, Southside Village. If your budget allows you to rent on one of the islands, absolutely check out Lido Key, Longboat Key, Siesta Key.

What is your monthly rental budget?

There are some realtors on this site that can give you invaluable advice.

Good luck!

Old 04-01-2013, 11:02 PM

Thanks again BH. Our monthly budget somewhere between $1000-1500 for 2br 1 bath. I need to find out from the prospective employer what my base would be for my sales job.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:58 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,635,618 times
You might use a couple of websites to gauge both rental prices and crime:
Florida Homes for Sale direct from MLS
Crime Mapping - Building Safer Communities!

The first website is the public side of our MLS. Use that to find places in your budget that look appealing. Then plug the address into the crime mapping website to see a recent history of police/sheriff department crime reports in that immediate area. There is also a tool on FDLE's website (Florida Department of Law Enforcement) where you can check to see if there are any sexual predators living nearby.

I think you will be ok with your budget but we are seeing rental rates rise in our area.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:24 PM

547 posts, read 832,239 times
What is driving you to think about moving here? The weather will be different for sure. Some people can deal with the summer heat and humidity and some hate it. Will you miss winter activities? Sarasota is very small compared to Denver and so is the crime. Like blueherons said the crime is in pockets. Compared to many places traffic is not a problem, and gets a lot lighter in the summer.
The economy is ticking along. My advice would be to rent within your means and get to know the Sarasota area.Are you looking for a house? condo? Apartment? Take the advice given and utilize the realtors that hang out here. If you have a specific address in mind, ask.
Good luck, and btw, I would like to live in Steamboat!

Old 04-02-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picshooter View Post
What is driving you to think about moving here? The weather will be different for sure. Some people can deal with the summer heat and humidity and some hate it. Will you miss winter activities? Sarasota is very small compared to Denver and so is the crime. Like blueherons said the crime is in pockets. Compared to many places traffic is not a problem, and gets a lot lighter in the summer.
The economy is ticking along. My advice would be to rent within your means and get to know the Sarasota area.Are you looking for a house? condo? Apartment? Take the advice given and utilize the realtors that hang out here. If you have a specific address in mind, ask.
Good luck, and btw, I would like to live in Steamboat!
I guess you missed the first post a good paying job. Thank for the info. No one lives in Steamboat unless you are independently wealthy. 90% of state pop. is Denver, FT Collins, and Colorado Springs. Everyone wants to be in the trees and there are no jobs there save waiting tables.

And yes the heat maybe an issue. The sales job is inside sales I could never do outside in FL heat in summer with shirt and tie.

I loved FL beaches. No waves like So Cal where I grew up but the water is much nicer.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:54 PM

547 posts, read 832,239 times
Yea, if you like salt water, beaches and boating you could be very happy here. I meant to ask the general location of your office. You can get specific neighborhoods to live in and avoid.
I was half joking about Steamboat. It would be nice to summer in one of many places in CO as I like to cycle in the mountains.
Good luck with your decision.

Quote:
I guess you missed the first post a good paying job. Thank for the info. No one lives in Steamboat unless you are independently wealthy. 90% of state pop. is Denver, FT Collins, and Colorado Springs. Everyone wants to be in the trees and there are no jobs there save waiting tables.

And yes the heat maybe an issue. The sales job is inside sales I could never do outside in FL heat in summer with shirt and tie.

I loved FL beaches. No waves like So Cal where I grew up but the water is much nicer.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picshooter View Post
Yea, if you like salt water, beaches and boating you could be very happy here. I meant to ask the general location of your office. You can get specific neighborhoods to live in and avoid.
I was half joking about Steamboat. It would be nice to summer in one of many places in CO as I like to cycle in the mountains.
Good luck with your decision.
Good question. I misunderstood you. I just checked and the prospective employer is on Commerce Blvd North if that helps?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area