U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 07:32 AM

57 posts, read 62,096 times

Advertisements

I am counting the days to change my domicile to Florida from a New England state.. I understand that having a bank statement, a legal address in Florida, a voter ID card, a few utility bills, a driver's license, and keeping a diary of showing you were in Florida for at least 183 days per year, is adequate for declaring a Florida domicile.
Does anyone have any feed back on the above?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 08:14 AM

137 posts, read 300,315 times
after I purchased a home and moved here in 1999 I went down to the county courthouse/building and filled out and filed a "declaration of domicile". I had only been here a couple of weeks and don't recall needing a bank statement or any diary showing I was here for 183 days. I'm not sure if the laws have changed in that regard since 1999 but after you have your papers just head over to the county and you can do your driver's license, homestead rebate, register to vote, and declaration of domicile all at the same time.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:30 PM

4,581 posts, read 9,341,515 times
And, register and insure your car as a 'Florida' car, (though many keep a 2nd car with previous state's plates back at their previous state's home, if you are going to keep your previous home), and as StepHome noted: do the declaration of domicile.

The diary may seem like overkill, but I have several friends from various states that were scrutinized by their previous states, the first and second year after declaring FL their new home state; their diary, with some receipts was very helpful in fending off their greedy former states, seeking taxes on those former residents.

And, every day you are out of your previous domiciled state, (and not just meaning in FL), counts as being 'out of your previous state'. You go see you kids in Toledo, OH for a week = being not in your previous state, for that week.

Florida, practically speaking, doesn't care/follow up on any newly minted 'residents' as to how much time that new rez actually spends in FL, once one becomes a FL rez.
GL, mD

Old 04-13-2013, 12:54 PM

6,864 posts, read 10,804,961 times
Florida domicile law says nothing about '183 days' [or any amount of days].
If you get a drivers license [new rules for getting one][of course showing a FL address], register your vehicle and get insurance from a FL broker, or register to vote, you are a Florida resident.

Old 04-13-2013, 02:03 PM

3,979 posts, read 9,591,158 times
Here is the web site and application form for the Declaration of domicile in Sarasota County. I am not sure which county you are planning to move to. SARASOTA : Clerk of Circuit Court & County Comptroller

Old 04-13-2013, 02:23 PM

4,581 posts, read 9,341,515 times
That '183' days ref by the OP may be in regards to the number of days that he/she must/will stay out of their former legal state. The state I am familiar with require '6 months and a day', thus the ~183, depending on which state lawyer is adding up which 'months'.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:11 PM

378 posts, read 564,663 times
I think motordavid is right. The diary is probably for the State where the OP presently resides. Virginia likes to charge for every day you can't prove you are not in the Commonwealth. They don't care about the 183 days. Florida doesn't count, they just want you to come on down and spend your money.
Welcome to the Sunshine State, Island Creek.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:06 PM

260 posts, read 858,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
That '183' days ref by the OP may be in regards to the number of days that he/she must/will stay out of their former legal state. The state I am familiar with require '6 months and a day', thus the ~183, depending on which state lawyer is adding up which 'months'.
That's exactly what it is all about. The IRS cares because how many people are filing taxes using the address of one state determines how much that state may receive in federal tax dollars. The state you say you no longer live in loses federal and state funds. Keep a diary if you want. The IRS can pretty much track your movements if they need to. They check your bills. Credit and debit card, landline and cell phones, cable, internet, electric, deposits in your bank accounts, Dr appointments and question your neighbors and don't forget facebook! You cannot claim home exemption on your northern home. Don't forget to file your will in FL also. You also need to spend the 183 days in FL all at once. Not 4 months here and 3 months there. If your still not sure go see an attorney in the state you are leaving. It would be worth the price for peace of mind. Fl does not care as long as you are paying them money.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:40 AM

398 posts, read 768,617 times
Once you are a resident of Florida, if you apply for a Homestead Exemption in Florida, make sure you still don't have one, in your New England State. They will ask you and you will have to verify in writing.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:59 AM

199 posts, read 210,548 times
Default Domicile

If you do some research on the web you'll find all the Right answers your looking for. This will eliminate the 6 months rumor and all the days in a row crap. You just make need to make sure you have all the paperwork in place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area