U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 08:12 AM

244 posts, read 347,299 times

Advertisements

Good morning , we are looking into relocating to lakewood ranch and we have a 7 yr old who is in 2 nd grade now, we hope to be living there by summer of 2014, any info on schools would be great !! Can you go to any school you want ? Or is it based on where you live and proximity ? Is private school a better option ? As far as neighborhoods we want a family friendly area, we are very active , I run/ bike almost every day and wife goes to gym and takes classes approx 5 times a week, we love the outdoors and beaches. Any info would be GREATLY appreciated... I was looking at the crime map on line and it seems most crimes are west of 75 and LWR ?? Hope I was reading the map correctly, Thanks again.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 12:19 PM

5,648 posts, read 9,871,926 times
Lakewood Ranch is not crime-free, unfortunately, but as crime goes, it is relatively safe. No matter where you live, there always exists the possibility that there will be some sort of crime. Regarding schools, each elementary (Braden River, McNeal, Gullett, Willis) has its own zone so where you live will determine which school your child attends. The good news is that they are all good schools.

Good agents always put the names of the schools in their listing information but, no surprise, not all agents are good! So, a handy little tool can be found here: School Locator

Old 04-18-2013, 02:03 PM

Thanks for the info...I am sure it is not crime free, I grew up in Brooklyn, NY so I have seen my share of crime , by looking at the crime map it seems that the majority of crimes are west of I75, lakewood ranch for the most part seems to be east of 75 ??? Schools are Definetely going to dictate as to where we buy or build, what about middle schools and high schools ?? It seems that Central Park is the most family oriented area from what I can gather, also greenbrook. Thanks again

Old 04-18-2013, 02:22 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,481,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luby162 View Post
Thanks for the info...I am sure it is not crime free, I grew up in Brooklyn, NY so I have seen my share of crime , by looking at the crime map it seems that the majority of crimes are west of I75, lakewood ranch for the most part seems to be east of 75 ??? Schools are Definetely going to dictate as to where we buy or build, what about middle schools and high schools ?? It seems that Central Park is the most family oriented area from what I can gather, also greenbrook. Thanks again
If you do a search of the forum, you will find unlimited info on the schools (this question has been asked a lot) You are correct, 75 is kind of the dividing line- there is definitely less crime east of 75. This is likely because there are much less people living east of 75. A lot of it is farm country, homes on acreage, etc. & you also have LWR, which as Bob said, isn't immune to crime but I would say the area is generally lower in crime than some other areas around here. (However, there are many safer areas west of 75 also)

Old 04-18-2013, 05:15 PM

For middle schools, most of LWR falls under Nolan but some of the western neighborhoods go to Braden River. Both are A schools. Lakewood Ranch HS covers LWR but some kids go to Braden River High, some to Southest for IB, and some go to private schools like Cardinal Mooney. In fact, some kids go to private schools for elementary and middle school, too.

I think it is accurate to say that there is a fair mix (demographically) in CP and Greenbrook, just as there is in Riverwalk and Summerfield. There's a mix in Country Club, Country Club East, and Edgewater, too, but I think it skews quite a bit heavier to the empty nesters.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:28 PM

Excellent, thank you very much for your insight. I will be going south in June to start the long journey of relocating to FL, looking fwd to it !!

Old 04-19-2013, 07:10 AM

When you do come down, be sure to stop into the Information Center on the south side of University Parkway just to the east of Market Street. Although they are there primarily as information on new construction, they are also a great way to get to know more about the area, the amenities, the schools, etc. There's no selling so it is a pleasant experience and they have coupons for discounts to Main Street restaurants and events.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:51 AM

4,048 posts, read 6,191,861 times
The Manatee county school board has a user friendly website for parents with a wealth of information about the school programs in general and links to each indiividual school website where you can find test scores, school information, school activities, etc. The website is: School District of Manatee County Florida
On the front page there's a special tab for new residents, which has a lot of useful info for parents moving into the Manatee school districts.

The Florida Department of Education now ranks of all of the state's 3078 schools, based mainly on FCAT scores.

Elementary & middle school rankings also included factors such as whether schools helped struggling students progress. High School rankings also included graduation rates & how many students passed college level courses such as Advanced Placement.

Of course, FCAT scores are not the only criteria parents consider when selecting school districts, but it is an important factor.

For Manatee school rankings, here is the link to the FL Dept of Education page:
https://app2.fldoe.org/Ranking/Schools/RankDetailDist.aspx?dist=41

Old 04-19-2013, 11:48 AM

Thank you both for that information .... We are all looking fwd to being Florida residents....

Old 04-19-2013, 12:02 PM

Sunshine, OP, et al, the website you gave for school rankings only gives data thru 2011. For 2012, go to School Accountability Report and open the Excel spreadsheet. For example, Braden River Elementary would appear to be a "B" school based on the website you are using but it was an "A" school up to that point and it went back to an "A" school for 2012. Same for LWR High School.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>