Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2013, 06:51 AM

19 posts, read 30,918 times

Advertisements

Does anyone use Comcast for internet? We have used FiOS for over a year, but recently, the internet started going down every 5 minutes. Their customer service has been poor, and we are thinking about switching to Comcast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 08:25 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,371,973 times
I'm sorry to hear that, we have had FIOS for years and never have had an issue. My MIL has comcast and does have outages at times.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:53 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,677,562 times
Funny, most of these posts are about people switching to FIOS over Comcast. I've also had the exact opposite issue as you. We left Comcast due to their price gouging, sucky customer service & repeated equipment failures. Had FIOS for over a year & not a single problem. I'll never go back to Comcast.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:58 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
Having worked in the industry but never had service in FL there are a lot of factors that come into play. I use Comcast in Denver and it's great because our subdivision has new infrastructure. My Mom uses cable for internet in So Cal and the infrastructures and coax is 20 years old and getting frayed so yeah she has issues and has to threaten to cancel to get them to fix the infrastructure.

Comcast basically got rid of the US based call centers and now it's India or nothing which really sucks.

I would ask neighbors on the street and see what they think of Comcast. Also a docsis 2.0 modem will work, but crappy, you need a 3.0 modem or you will never get the advertised speeds.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:28 PM

260 posts, read 908,801 times
This might help
https://www.google.com/search?q=comc...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Old 04-22-2013, 10:38 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,998,436 times
We went from Comcast to Fios, and we prefer Comcast now that we've had both. We switched b/c we were tired of their price increases, and thought the new technology would be better with Fios. The DVR takes forever to load/ do anything, outages all the time. And we have to dial the area code no matter who we call on the phone. We have to reprogram the DVR all the time b/c it will randomly not record programmed shows. I wish we had stayed with Comcast. The internet speed is go though with Fios. That's one good thing I will say.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:49 PM

547 posts, read 926,307 times
I hate comcast. Saying that I believe it's the lesser of the two evils. I had problems with my internet connection a few months after subscribing. They kept saying it was my wireless router or my computer. After a few weeks it suddenly corrected itself and has been fine since.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:53 AM

19 posts, read 30,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal chic View Post
We went from Comcast to Fios, and we prefer Comcast now that we've had both. We switched b/c we were tired of their price increases, and thought the new technology would be better with Fios. The DVR takes forever to load/ do anything, outages all the time. And we have to dial the area code no matter who we call on the phone. We have to reprogram the DVR all the time b/c it will randomly not record programmed shows. I wish we had stayed with Comcast. The internet speed is go though with Fios. That's one good thing I will say.
Thanks - Comcast has always come out when we have had issues with our basic cable. Verizon will not come out even though we lose internet. Last night, it went on and off every 5 minutes for an hour. We have all new cable wiring thanks to Comcast and had no issues with the basic cable when we had it, so maybe the internet would be decent as well. Right now, Comcast is cheaper with internet and cable than our internet only with FiOS. We had Brighthouse in Bradenton with no issues and ATT DSL elsewhere in FL with no issues. FiOS has not been reliable for us. We went through a week with no phone a while back because they removed our copper line (without our permission) and never hooked up the phone to FiOS.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:33 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,459,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picshooter View Post
I hate comcast. Saying that I believe it's the lesser of the two evils. I had problems with my internet connection a few months after subscribing. They kept saying it was my wireless router or my computer. After a few weeks it suddenly corrected itself and has been fine since.
Not a big fan, but have comcast as well and agree. But you definitely have to know how to talk with them to get what you want. They probably dislike me more than I dislike them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area