U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 02:32 PM

182 posts, read 257,047 times

Advertisements

The United States is in a rather severe decline economically, as more and more manufacturing and computer-related jobs are transferred to Asia. The effect of this on Sarasota is indirect, since the town has no manufacturing or IT industry to speak of. But as time goes on, fewer and fewer retirees will have the money to buy a house or condo in Florida.Twenty years from now, there will possibly be a small number of very wealthy snowbirds residing in a relatively small area near downtown, who will be served by a small number of restaurants, shops, and whatnot that will cater to the elite. But the type of vast snowbird migration that exists now may dwindle away to nothing. This all means that even the current low-paying restaurant/hotel/tourist-related jobs will largely disappear. Long-term, there is no way for the current American "recession" to end....because the laid-off workers from our factories and IT offices can never be called back to work there....those jobs have gone to Asia. In this, the recession is unlike any ever before the year 2000. Thank our "leaders" in both political parties for creating this situation when they enacted the "free trade treaties."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 11:17 AM

222 posts, read 817,317 times
Sarasota will continue to attract many. The arts and culture are a big reason why Sarasota is what it is! Don't you forget this.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:50 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,983,899 times
i guess its all how you see it. some see arts and culture.

i see big city, concrete buildings and asphalt, homeless begging in the streets, crime, traffic, congestion, people all full of themselves thinking they are more than they really are.

some decent restaurants though.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:53 AM

Sarasota has world class arts. Symphony, how many cities in Florida have a symhony?

World class ballet? A real theatre like the Asolo Repertory?

Many fine beaches in the state of Florida throughout, but fine beaches and fine art - not too many!

As long as those institutions are there, poeple will come and enjoy!

Old 05-09-2013, 06:24 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,983,899 times
i guess if you are into the symphony and guys dancing on stage in leotards then sarasota might be the place for you. i have no idea what a asolo is. whatever floats your boat.

the best cultural performance in sarasota i have witnessed was at the cheetah club. now that is some dancin.

Last edited by gettinoutofjersey; 05-09-2013 at 06:37 PM..

Old 05-10-2013, 10:45 AM

Asolo , google it you will be amazed! 

Try a symphony as well, you might like it too..

I'm not into Ballet, but i bet there are plenty of people who do like it!

Old 05-11-2013, 09:57 AM

213 posts, read 550,442 times
Canadians are taking over - eh?

Old 05-15-2013, 08:58 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,280,515 times
I don't particularly love spending much time and money on "the arts" but I do tend to love the cities that cater to them. People into "the arts" tend to have plenty of disposable income from which the rest of the city's restaurants and business benefit. "The arts" are one of the reason Sarasota is getting out ahead of other FL cities.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:11 AM

5,349 posts, read 8,948,558 times
I think Sarasota will continue to grow at an average pace. I dont think in 10 or 20 years there's gonna any HUGE significant changes in demographics or big changes in the area that will make it unrecognizeable today.

I remember in 2002 I visited Sarasota for the first time. Loved it. Was in Siesta Key as well. Beautiful.

I went back 10 years later in 2012, and to be honest not a whole lot changed. Perhaps a few more shops and some different restaurants came and went, but by and large, kinda the same ol same ol.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:34 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,280,515 times
Yeah, and Sarasota will face competition from other FL cities as well. There is plenty of growth to go around in the next few decades. It won't all be in Sarasota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area