U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 08:57 PM

13 posts, read 18,513 times

Advertisements

Where do you see the Sarasota/Bradenton/Venice area in 10, 15, 20 years in regards to population (race, crime, growth) and economy (real estate, jobs, retail)?

Do you think Sarasota will become heavily populated with one race or another? Will people and businesses be moving out because crime is running rampant, or will new developments and shopping malls be built out East of 75 bring in new people from all over the US?

What do you think?

Last edited by bbcle; 04-22-2013 at 09:43 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 09:34 PM

11,937 posts, read 11,799,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcle View Post
Where do you think the Sarasota/Bradenton/Venice area will be in 10, 15, 20 years in regards to population (race, crime, growth) and economy (real estate, jobs, retail)?

Do you think Sarasota will become heavily populated with one race or another? Will people and businesses be moving out because crime is running rampant, or will new developments and shopping malls be built out East of 75 be bringing in new people from all over the world?

What do you think?
Florida's bread and butter economy is and always will be tourism which provides low paying jobs. Couple that with wealthy retirees, and Sarasota will pretty much stay the same; the whitest city in Florida.

There is very little diversity here as far as race. Culturally is a different story.

Sarasota's tourists are already from all over Europe. Latin Americans seem to prefer the east coast. Since Asia, Austrailia, and Africa already have spectacular beaches and resort destinations of their own AND it's super expensive to get here from there, I don't see an influx from those areas.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:19 AM

16,761 posts, read 36,300,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Florida's bread and butter economy is and always will be tourism which provides low paying jobs. Couple that with wealthy retirees, and Sarasota will pretty much stay the same; the whitest city in Florida.

There is very little diversity here as far as race. Culturally is a different story.

Sarasota's tourists are already from all over Europe. Latin Americans seem to prefer the east coast. Since Asia, Austrailia, and Africa already have spectacular beaches and resort destinations of their own AND it's super expensive to get here from there, I don't see an influx from those areas.
I pretty much agree with most of this with the exception that I see more and more Latin American coming here. There has been what seems like to me a huge influx the last few years, also more and more Canadians buying here. So the cosmopolitan influence is expanding. My husband feels this whole area is going to become very exclusive and expensive someday (he didn't say when) but maybe like in another decade or so. It already has some of the wealthiest neighborhoods in Florida (I read only behind Miami and Naples). The area around University Parkway is exploding with high end stuff.

Not sure what you are looking for, OP, but these are just our opinions. I have lived in Florida all my life, Sarasota has ALWAYS been considered one of the most desirable places in the state. It will always be retiree and vacation oriented, but also has good expanding colleges and expanding opportunities in health and geriatric care.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:07 AM

288 posts, read 426,245 times
What if the boomers (strong birth years) die off and there won't be enough retirees anymore to buy previously inflated homes? Less demand? Will prices go bust again? Food for thought

Old 04-23-2013, 10:52 AM

11,937 posts, read 11,799,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calico777 View Post
What if the boomers (strong birth years) die off and there won't be enough retirees anymore to buy previously inflated homes? Less demand? Will prices go bust again? Food for thought
Europeans. Sarasota's real estate will not fall any cheaper than it is right unless something exceptional happens.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:13 PM

288 posts, read 426,245 times
That's pretty generic....exceptional could be many things....rise of interest rates would be one

Old 04-25-2013, 05:40 AM

473 posts, read 567,551 times
I imagine that the population of Sarasota and all of Florida will continue growing, just like it has since the invention of air conditioning. Possibly higher percentage of Latinos. ( yay, bring on the restaurants)

The biggest changes will always be the ones no one likes to talk about. A shrinking of wildlife habitat, fracking wastelands, the poisoning of our water from the billions of gallons of chemicals poured on the thousands of golf courses and the continued destruction of the Everglades. But hey, you can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:52 AM

6,864 posts, read 11,247,947 times
The main reason for the population increase of west Florida, below Tampa, more than tripling in the last 25 years is --- I-75 If there was no I-75 and people had to use U.S. 41 to get anywhere between Tampa and Naples, population growth would have been minimal. If I-75 was built near U.S. 17, Bartow, Fort Meade, Wauchula, Arcadia or along U.S. 27 Lake Wales, Frostproof, Avon Park, Sebring, Lake Placid, those towns would have been boom areas. If it wasn't for I-75, there would still be less than 10,000 people living in Northport.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:16 PM

697 posts, read 1,098,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
The main reason for the population increase of west Florida, below Tampa, more than tripling in the last 25 years is
Don't forget all the bad sinkhole publicity any place around Tampa and north.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:35 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,986,964 times
florida with no income taxes and relatively low taxes and limited usage fees is a great thing. unfortunately as the blue state residents migrate here they demand more and more driving the taxes and size of government up. just look at the east coast of florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area