Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 08:43 PM

153 posts, read 192,079 times

Advertisements

There is an Earth Origins market on Stickney that's easily within biking distance. Can't vouch for the selection or quality, but its your typical health food store, but larger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 08:54 PM

258 posts, read 667,184 times
Thanks all, again, especially the tip on Indian food. One of our favorites for eating out.

FYI, talked to owner of condo we're renting, he said definitely rent bikes if you want to chillax which we do. We'll rent a car if we get sick of sticking our toes in the sand all day. Which we may not... can't wait to get there...

Old 04-29-2013, 10:00 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandsharkJB View Post
There is an Earth Origins market on Stickney that's easily within biking distance. Can't vouch for the selection or quality, but its your typical health food store, but larger.
I always forget about this place! Thanks for reminding me!

There are also some specialty bakeries in Gulf Gate. Gulf Gate is really quite extraordinary and the food scene is worth checking out. Best sushi in Sarasota at Vizen.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:48 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,199,652 times
None of these places are on Siesta Key. You will need a car. Except for the small grocery (which isn't near where you are staying), everything else requires a car as they are not on the Key. They are on the mainland. Too far to bike and the traffic is heavy. There are restaurants and bars on Siesta in the Village, but I think it would be a long bike ride.

Trader Joe's, Whole Foods are not on Siesta Key.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:56 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macyny View Post
None of these places are on Siesta Key. You will need a car. Except for the small grocery (which isn't near where you are staying), everything else requires a car as they are not on the Key. They are on the mainland. Too far to bike and the traffic is heavy. There are restaurants and bars on Siesta in the Village, but I think it would be a long bike ride.

Trader Joe's, Whole Foods are not on Siesta Key.
Not true unless you are so out of shape you cannot get on the bike. I live in Gulf Gate and my husband and I ride our bikes all over the key several times a week. In fact, it is the easiest way to get to the beach during season. I worked on Siesta my first year here and rode my bike to work every day.

Bike lanes are clearly marked. The OP will find many other bikers doing the same.

The Indian place on Hillview is another easy bike ride leaving Siesta from the north bridge and turning on Opsrey to Hillview.

I probably wouldn't ride my bike to Trader Joes.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:50 PM

157 posts, read 389,375 times
you can get the bus to wholefoods, if you have your little girl in to, I would check out the sarasota children's garden, my 3 year old loves and we have been to many birthday parties there, check out big olaf for ice cream, and cafe lelu for a chilled out place that accepts little ones with open arms, the cottage is great for the kids out back where they can dance to the music, my little girl doesn't like skob because the music is too loud, handy hint go to the beach access at end of village, look to the right and you'll see an island when it's low tide, great shells and sand dollars

farmers market on siesta on sunday mornings outside davidsons in the village not the stickney point branch.

have a great time, i have been away for a year and i have missed every second that i haven't been there.

have a great holiday

Old 04-30-2013, 12:51 PM

258 posts, read 667,184 times
Well, I should confess I am in excellent shape so 1-2 mile walks/rides aren't going to phase me...

I'm looking forward to parking my cellphone in the bedside table and going without a car for a while... I've heard there are bike taxis as well. Can someone tell me what a reasonable tip is for those? Have never taken them, really no idea what to tip.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:34 PM

157 posts, read 389,375 times
my home is a 10/15 min walk from the village and because they know me they are quite happy to take $5, depends how many of us are travelling and if it's the bikes or electric buggys, i always pay more for the bikes as i feel they have to work harder!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area