Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 02:37 PM

110 posts, read 173,775 times

Advertisements

I live in Jupiter where everything I need is within two miles including the beach. So, am spoiled and needless to say rather insecure about moving. But, I also know I need a change.

I would like to buy a new-er one story (easy to maintain) 3 bedroom house on ¼ acre+ because I have about 300 orchids which I do not want to leave behind. Swimming pool (or a space for one) would be nice. I love plants, art and beaches. Truly do not want to live far away from shopping, theaters or be otherwise secluded in a large development away from the city. Since Iam now going to live alone it is possible I would feel more secure in agated or semi-gated community. Not sure.
I have read a number of posts here describing many communities and my head is spinning. At this time, I only ask for someone to recommend few neighborhoods you believe I ought to check out (budget about $350-$400K). Thank you for any advice you can give me.

Last edited by Petunka; 05-20-2013 at 02:42 PM.. Reason: page layout
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 03:03 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,813,201 times
have you just looked for what you want on realtor.com and found any particular homes in neighborhoods you like?

Old 05-20-2013, 05:28 PM

4,609 posts, read 7,521,513 times
My first question would be where do you plan to keep your orchids? I am asking because most of the newer communities have specific deed restrictions and rules pertaining to things like storage sheds/ greenhouses and regarding yards/ landscaping. Some communities have very specific rules on the types and quantity of vegetation/landscaping in the yards (Lakewood Ranch, for example). So if you have specific requirements for your orchids, that is something your real estate agent needs to know up front.

Many of the newer home communities are built on lots of 7500 sq ft or less, the newest homes are often on lots of 5500 sq ft. 1/4 acre lots can be found but they are often in older neighborhoods or further east of I75 in Sarasota area or NE of Sarasota into southern Manatee county.

Deer Creek in Palmer Ranch has some homes with larger lots, lots of tall shade trees. Deer Creek is gated (guard). Beneva Pines just south of Proctor off of Beneva Rd has some nice size lots, although the homes are built mainly in the early to mid 1980's. Country Place is another really nice community with larger lots, winding streets and lots of tall shade trees, homes built mainly in the 80's. Gulf Gate East has some lots of 1/4 acre or slightly more, it's located off of Beneva Rd south of Clark. These 3 communities are not gated. The HOAs were formed back in a time period when most rules & regulations were less strict that you'll find in new construction, so communities like these may work better with your orchids. Unfortunately there are few active listings in these communities at the moment.

If you go to the public version of our MLS at Florida Homes for Sale direct from MLS you can enter your search criteria so that you can get a general idea as to what is currently available in the Sarasota area that might fit some if not all of your criteria. I also highly recommend once you become more familiar with potential neighborhoods that you take a trip here to see your short list of neighborhoods first hand. Often what looks good on paper can feel entirely different to you once you actually visit.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:29 PM

Dear Sunshine, yes, in the Jupiter area the HOA restrictions are very similar if not the same and thank you for noticing my dilemma. My late husband just built a simple trellis along the fence where I hang/them. Not ideal but it works. No need for a greenhouse so far south. Many orchids are quite hardy and can withstand night temps to 50F and even 40s for a couple of days. I am just starting to realize that growing tropical plants in your own background may not be as easy in some HOA's. It really does not make much sense to me but it is the way it is. Thank you for the links. I will visit the Sarasota area very soon.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:59 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,090,109 times
How do you transport 300 orchids? How cool!

Old 05-21-2013, 07:05 AM

17,531 posts, read 39,089,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunka View Post
Dear Sunshine, yes, in the Jupiter area the HOA restrictions are very similar if not the same and thank you for noticing my dilemma. My late husband just built a simple trellis along the fence where I hang/them. Not ideal but it works. No need for a greenhouse so far south. Many orchids are quite hardy and can withstand night temps to 50F and even 40s for a couple of days. I am just starting to realize that growing tropical plants in your own background may not be as easy in some HOA's. It really does not make much sense to me but it is the way it is. Thank you for the links. I will visit the Sarasota area very soon.
Sarasota can occasionally get quite cold. The warmer temps in winter when we have a cold spell are nearest the coast, so you might keep that in mind as you look. This is a beautiful place to be. I too wonder how you move all those orchids - I would love to grow some but haven't had good luck with them!

Good luck on your move!

Old 05-21-2013, 08:19 AM

Moving orchids is not a problem. Most are in pots or baskets. Those mounted on cork will have to hang. Was thinking about renting a small U-Haul and pack them in. These plants are tough and surprisingly very easy to grow. They just have different needs. Sarasota has an Orchid Society and if you attend a couple of meeting as a guest you could find someone to guide you. I've learned from reading books and visiting as many growers and orchid shows as I could. During the years I have given many plants to my friends and 'unfortunately' they all became addicted. If you have a tree (not a citrus) you may want to try mounting any Oncidium on it. It will grow and bloom. Yes, it gets nippy here too.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:16 PM

378 posts, read 628,646 times
It sounds as if you have an ideal situation in Jupiter. Although Sarasota is an enjoyable place I wonder if you can duplicate what you already have for the price you want to pay. Being close to the beach, city center events and have room for your orchids may be a tall order. I am very interested to read if any of the well informed people on the forum have some recommendations for you.
Certainly the folk on the forum are very knowledgeable and willing to help.
I wish you luck with your search.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:23 AM

Yes, I now realize it may not be easy or even possible to find what I dream about in Sarasota. My second choice would be St. Augustine or Ponte Vedra. But there I would need a greenhouse. Another alternative would be to just give up growing tropical plants.

I really do not have much space for orchids and have many of them hanging on a tree I planted on common property after the hurricanes. No one has complained about the orchids - in fact many people love them - but it may be coming. The HOAs - even in older developments- are getting more and more restrictive.. well it really depends on the BOD management style. Every time the BOD changes new rules are adopted. And, what the previous Board did or allowed is happily undone or prohibited, regardless what the governing documents state. But, such is life.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:28 AM

17,531 posts, read 39,089,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunka View Post
Yes, I now realize it may not be easy or even possible to find what I dream about in Sarasota. My second choice would be St. Augustine or Ponte Vedra. But there I would need a greenhouse. Another alternative would be to just give up growing tropical plants.

I really do not have much space for orchids and have many of them hanging on a tree I planted on common property after the hurricanes. No one has complained about the orchids - in fact many people love them - but it may be coming. The HOAs - even in older developments- are getting more and more restrictive.. well it really depends on the BOD management style. Every time the BOD changes new rules are adopted. And, what the previous Board did or allowed is happily undone or prohibited, regardless what the governing documents state. But, such is life.
With your budget you should be able to find most on your checklist. The balancing act will be the "newer" home without the HOA issues. But I definitely recommend this area for you, great beaches here, great shopping/dining and anything else you would want. Mostly good temps for the orchids, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area