Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 09:26 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,373,137 times

Advertisements

It just sounds like you are very discouraged by everything. North port and the other areas all have their good and bad, mostly good from what I see. Probably the best thing for you is to relocate to another state where you can find your happiness. I agree the prices on those so called "mid century modern" homes are way out of line for an old shack, that's why I bought a brand new home in North Port for probably less than half of what those are going for.

Step back, take a deep breath and analyze what you REALLY want. Good luck to you.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:35 AM

407 posts, read 1,074,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTC View Post
This is untrue-there is a brand new large retail center which was just completed off of Tamiami (Cocoplum Village Shops). It is anchored by a large Publix and has a very nice selection of shops(the new Panera is great). It is actually visually appealing with nice landscaping (this coming from a strip mall hater).

Growth at Cocoplum Village Shops in North Port signals city's recovering economy | HeraldTribune.com

The other end town of has growing retail as well. (near I-75 Sumpter/Price). Things are very much looking up in North Port.
I'm not moving to an area because of a Publix and a duplicate strip mall a half mile from another...

Old 05-22-2013, 09:46 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,997,735 times
Wrong coast maybe. Things are still reasonable in Brevard and Indian River.....

Old 05-22-2013, 09:46 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by touretteboy65 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions and comments, but unfortunately, I've done all that I could. I have been working with three realtors, initially providing them our criteria for the home we wanted to buy. Since our search began, we have been disappointed over and over again with the houses available. I have realtor access to the MLS and have been scouring it everyday, all to find little to no activity and listings of homes built in the stone age. Lakewood Ranch might as well be called, "Lakewood Townhomes." Houses are on top of each other. Give me a break! Palmer Ranch? Back the dump truck loaded with cash to buy at closing. Other parts of Sarasota? Many of the homes are older and have seen little to no improvements/updates. I have every ability to improve upon a home, however, for a seller to command such a high price for a home needing an immediate $40-$50K in improvements is ridiculous. How can I justify a 30 year mortgage anywhere between $1700-$2000K a month when I'm dumping an additional $50K into? For those of you moving from the Northeast and laughing at the "low" taxes and CDDs, it's all relative. Count on your vehicle insurance to TRIPLE upon moving to Florida. Count on your homeowner's insurance to at least DOUBLE. Florida's insurance situation, especially homeowners, is quite unstable and costly. I know this being a resident of Florida for over 40 years. We have gradually lowered our criteria to match a more affordable house, but those houses are in such deplorable condition and located in terrible neighborhoods that I wouldn't think twice about moving into with our children. Lack of "ownership pride" is quite obvious in neighborhoods we have visited, and I have searched throughout much of Sarasota and Manatee counties. North Port is a disaster, don't fool yourself. It's full of short sales, foreclosures, and abandoned homes. The retail and commercial development promised years ago for that area during the housing boom has all but vanished and been abandoned. Venice is for geriatrics and too far away. Bradenton is, well, Bradenton; Manatee schools are a joke (ranked 47th out of 66 counties in Florida, way to go!). Thugs, gangs, and dying dumpy subdivisions are prevalent all throughout that county. Why should I put 20% down on a home (our intention from the beginning) on a home that I know is in such poor condition? I refuse to settle on a home simply because, "that's all there is available." Thanks, but no thanks.
Wow - you are full of it, mister. Stay where you are, please. I live in the southern end of Manatee County two blocks from the bay, and it is beautiful here! As a Florida native I give thanks every day that I get to live in such a beautiful place. In fact Bradenton just got some national recognition as having one of the best downtowns for a small town in the south:

Bradenton downtown ranked Top 10 in South | Wade Tatangelo | Ticket Sarasota

Every city and town has "dumpy areas", I'm sure you have them in your city as well. You have given lots of reasons why you DON'T want to move here, let's here why you do, since it seems to be so great where you already are...

Old 05-22-2013, 09:51 AM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,466,519 times
Quote:
I'm not moving to an area because of a Publix and a duplicate strip mall a half mile from another...
Just countering your assertion that there has been no retail development (you were wrong on that) in North Port and North Port has been abandoned (wrong again). Have a nice day!

Old 05-22-2013, 10:18 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,841,747 times
Touretteboy, the market is the market. Low inventory, higher prices than two years ago. It's not the sellers' fault -- houses sell for what a market will bear. By the way, what happened in NC? Do you move around a lot for work?

Old 05-22-2013, 10:23 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,934,103 times
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions and comments, but unfortunately, I've done all that I could. I have been working with three realtors, initially providing them our criteria for the home we wanted to buy. Since our search began, we have been disappointed over and over again with the houses available. I have realtor access to the MLS and have been scouring it everyday, all to find little to no activity and listings of homes built in the stone age. Lakewood Ranch might as well be called, "Lakewood Townhomes." Houses are on top of each other. Give me a break! Palmer Ranch? Back the dump truck loaded with cash to buy at closing. Other parts of Sarasota? Many of the homes are older and have seen little to no improvements/updates. I have every ability to improve upon a home, however, for a seller to command such a high price for a home needing an immediate $40-$50K in improvements is ridiculous. How can I justify a 30 year mortgage anywhere between $1700-$2000K a month when I'm dumping an additional $50K into? For those of you moving from the Northeast and laughing at the "low" taxes and CDDs, it's all relative. Count on your vehicle insurance to TRIPLE upon moving to Florida. Count on your homeowner's insurance to at least DOUBLE. Florida's insurance situation, especially homeowners, is quite unstable and costly. I know this being a resident of Florida for over 40 years. We have gradually lowered our criteria to match a more affordable house, but those houses are in such deplorable condition and located in terrible neighborhoods that I wouldn't think twice about moving into with our children. Lack of "ownership pride" is quite obvious in neighborhoods we have visited, and I have searched throughout much of Sarasota and Manatee counties. North Port is a disaster, don't fool yourself. It's full of short sales, foreclosures, and abandoned homes. The retail and commercial development promised years ago for that area during the housing boom has all but vanished and been abandoned. Venice is for geriatrics and too far away. Bradenton is, well, Bradenton; Manatee schools are a joke (ranked 47th out of 66 counties in Florida, way to go!). Thugs, gangs, and dying dumpy subdivisions are prevalent all throughout that county. Why should I put 20% down on a home (our intention from the beginning) on a home that I know is in such poor condition? I refuse to settle on a home simply because, "that's all there is available." Thanks, but no thanks.
You've lived here for 40 years and haven't bought a house yet???

Honestly, some people are supposed to rent and I think you're one of them, at least for now.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:34 AM

222 posts, read 854,738 times
Have you tried Gulf Gate Woods or even Gulf Gate East. There are some really nice homes in both of subdivisions.

I personally believe Gulf Gate Woods is one of the prettiest subdivisions in the area. Some real nice homes and mature trees. I bet you can find something decent, that may need some updating, but at the end will look awesome.

Take a look at these two places. But Gulf Gate Woods is a true gem.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:54 AM

128 posts, read 264,037 times
Look at it this way: If the housing bubble bursts, we'll have an answer for the new forum members who post:

"HI I'm new I need your guys help I'm looking for a 4-bed 3-bath home with at least a 2-car garage within 3-minutes of walking distance to a beach without a lot of tourists high ceilings terrazzo floors with a pool (no kidney shapes) deep water boat slip with newer lift preferred with landscaping in place good schools for my 3 kids safe neighbrhood mature trees pet-friendly close to shopping but far away from traffic (((((GRANITE))))) counter-tops newly remodeled if possible and I'm preapproved up to $180k. Where should I look?"

EVERYWHERE.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:28 PM

407 posts, read 1,074,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nphomeowner View Post
It just sounds like you are very discouraged by everything. North port and the other areas all have their good and bad, mostly good from what I see. Probably the best thing for you is to relocate to another state where you can find your happiness. I agree the prices on those so called "mid century modern" homes are way out of line for an old shack, that's why I bought a brand new home in North Port for probably less than half of what those are going for.

Step back, take a deep breath and analyze what you REALLY want. Good luck to you.
Thanks. North Port unfortunately is not an option. It's too far of a distance for me to drive and my wife as well. For whatever we save in housing costs will be eaten up with fuel costs, wear and tear to our vehicles (more than an hour drive, one way, to work), and time away from home. Thanks for your consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area