U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 02:22 PM

155 posts, read 296,212 times

Advertisements

My biggest concern with the HOA, which I was really excited about at first, that they can restrict the use of the residence as a rental property if I one day wanted to rent. I wanted the restrictions for the property maintenance and lawn care of the common grounds, pool area etc., but the developer was also the HOA, and not meeting his obligations.

And sometimes people on HOA boards can really become tyrannical. It sounds like a great idea, and I am more than willing to maintain common grounds and follow restrictions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 03:29 PM

110 posts, read 162,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_in_dc View Post
My biggest concern with the HOA, which I was really excited about at first, that they can restrict the use of the residence as a rental property if I one day wanted to rent. I wanted the restrictions for the property maintenance and lawn care of the common grounds, pool area etc., but the developer was also the HOA, and not meeting his obligations.

And sometimes people on HOA boards can really become tyrannical. It sounds like a great idea, and I am more than willing to maintain common grounds and follow restrictions.
Yes, lease approvals, pet and parking restrictions are all spelled out in the Covenants. Just make sure that you get all the Amendments to the original Covenants, if any. Do not buy any property unless you know what you are getting into. I cannot stress that enough.

And, even after you buy, things may change. Let me give you a hypothetical example: Owners are allowed to have two pets per household. Now, the BOD comes up with an idea that a lessee cannot have any pets. If a majority of owners vote for that amendment you will not be able to lease your home to anyone who has a pet (unless it is prescribed to him/her by a doctor.)

Also, you -as an owner- cannot maintain 'common grounds' because you do not own it. In fact covenants may prohibit you to do just that. There is an exception though. You can plant and maintain vegetation on common grounds if you are on a landscaping committee or otherwise have a written authorization to do that.

Sorry if I am not addressing the right issues; am not exactly sure what you are looking for. ( It is hot in Florida too.)

Old 06-03-2013, 04:44 PM

I meant that I don't mind paying HOA dues for lawn care and maintenance of the common grounds, pool, etc. What happens when some home owners don't pay their dues and the HOA doesn't mow their grass? I was stuck with a house with a great lawn, right next to a home with weeds that the city had to come out and mow.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:04 PM

110 posts, read 162,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_in_dc View Post
I meant that I don't mind paying HOA dues for lawn care and maintenance of the common grounds, pool, etc. What happens when some home owners don't pay their dues and the HOA doesn't mow their grass? I was stuck with a house with a great lawn, right next to a home with weeds that the city had to come out and mow.
Interesting, that the city came and took care of the problem on a private property? Was the Developer in bankruptcy?

All owners are obligated to pay HOA dues and maintain their own property. If they don't pay the Association is obligated to file a lien and/or foreclose. In the mean time you and other responsible owners have to carry the delinquent owners. This brings up another point. Before you buy find out how many owners are either delinquent or in foreclosure.

Usually, the Association is under the Developer's control, until 90% lots are sold. But I may be wrong it could be 80% or such. To tell you the truth I have not studied this provision in any detail. The Developer have certain rights and here, you have to check Florida Chapter 720.

I would not buy in any development unless I was sure the developer has an excellent reputation and the properties are selling like hot cakes. Last famous words.. We all make mistakes.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunka View Post
Interesting, that the city came and took care of the problem on a private property? Was the Developer in bankruptcy?

All owners are obligated to pay HOA dues and maintain their own property. If they don't pay the Association is obligated to file a lien and/or foreclose. In the mean time you and other responsible owners have to carry the delinquent owners. This brings up another point. Before you buy find out how many owners are either delinquent or in foreclosure.

Usually, the Association is under the Developer's control, until 90% lots are sold. But I may be wrong it could be 80% or such. To tell you the truth I have not studied this provision in any detail. The Developer have certain rights and here, you have to check Florida Chapter 720.

I would not buy in any development unless I was sure the developer has an excellent reputation and the properties are selling like hot cakes. Last famous words.. We all make mistakes.
The city mowed the grass and empty lots when it was over a certain length because it was considered "noxious" and then those home and lot owners were fined.

Yes, and the issue with my last home that I sold was that the developer was in control of empty lots next to homes and the lost weren't selling and the weeds were growing. And builders had no time restrictions on how long it took them to build one house. Construction on one house could last for six months. It was a pain.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:19 AM

5,048 posts, read 8,825,307 times
If there is common ground and amenities...you have an hoa. Are you enjoying these things free?

Sometimes there are neighborhood associations where there is no common ground but certain rules or strongly desired expectations of lawn care, no trampolines in the front yard, that kind of thing.

In addition to all the good advice here, hatever you are adverse to you can put in a purchase contract, such as this home is not part of any hoa, and initial it especially and require that the seller does too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
View detailed profiles of: