U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,259 times

Advertisements

I purchases a home that has some properties that are not in the hoa.It has come to my attention that my deed does not mention the hoa only?most others do.Does this mean I am not part of the hoa?aany info would be appreciate! Thakns
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 10:35 AM

3,979 posts, read 9,846,717 times
Are you saying that you already purchased the home? If so, then you would have signed a homeowner association disclosure when you purchased the home and you would have received a copy of the homeowner association rules and regulations if your home was in fact part of a homeowner association.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:27 PM

16 posts, read 25,930 times
If you purchased the home you would know. As tamre stated you would have signed the hoa forms. I do know some places like in Venice that offer optional hoas. It gives you access to a ferry to go the beach. It may be the same situation you are in where it is optional.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:05 AM

5,648 posts, read 9,940,718 times
claire923, I'd change the above comments from "would" to "should" as in you should have been given a disclosure. It is a requirement by law but that does not mean that the seller was honest and that the listing agent (if there was one) was aware of it. Sinc you apparently know someone who is part of the HOA, I think the easiest thing to do is to ask that person who they contact regarding HOA matters, and then to contact that company or manager for specific information. It is probably fine but you should find out for sure.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:42 AM

34,705 posts, read 54,535,147 times
and don't understand how a home can have "some properties"
a home has a lot--it might be large or small...
some homeowners might have bought the lot beside/behind theirs as investment or to keep someone from building next to them
sometimes you pay to have that extra lot included with your home/lot...

Old 06-03-2013, 09:30 AM

110 posts, read 162,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLAIRE923 View Post
I purchases a home that has some properties that are not in the hoa.It has come to my attention that my deed does not mention the hoa only?most others do.Does this mean I am not part of the hoa?aany info would be appreciate! Thakns

No, it does not. My Deed does not mention mandatory membership in our HOA either, it only describes the lot number .. subject to restrictions of record. That may be how your attorney did it. What you have to do is to get a Subdivision Plat and get a copy of your Covenants. Most likely you are in the HOA development but your membership in the HOA may not be mandatory.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:23 AM

4,115 posts, read 6,298,927 times
There is some confusion about the Homeowner's Association/Community Disclosure form that should be a part of a purchase contract if the property is located within a mandatory HOA.

This particular disclosure informs the buyer that as a buyer of the property they will be obligated to be a member of a HOA, that there are recorded restrictive covenants governing the use of properties in the community, that they will be obligated to pay assessments to the association, that failure to pay assessments may result in a lien on the property. It also states the buyer should refer to the covenants and the association governing documents before purchasing the property, these documents are matters of public record and can be obtained from the county record office or developer if not yet recorded. The disclosure does NOT require the seller to provide a copy of the governing documents to the buyer. It is the buyer's responsibility to obtain the documents unless the parties agree otherwise.

There are communities with recorded deed restrictions that may either have a voluntary HOA or no HOA rather than a mandatory HOA, which this disclosure refers to.

Sometimes communities will have originally been deed restricted but the recorded documents had a specific expiration date (sometimes 25 years) for the association unless a certain percentage of the lot owners vote to renew the deed restrictions (Colonial Oaks did that a few years ago). Sometimes communities have voluntary civic associations that they call HOAs but there are not recorded deed restrictions. So it can be confusing.

Sometimes communities are broken down into a number of units (originally done by the developer) and perhaps the first couple of units were not part of a HOA but the developer later added a HOA requirement to later units of the development. (?)

FL HOAs are governed by FL statutes under Chapter 720.

If you are in doubt as to whether your property is under the jurisdiction of a HOA, you would have received a title policy at closing and your closing agent's office may be the place to ask for interpretation regarding whether you have to belong to a HOA or not. Or consult a local real estate attorney in the county in which the property is located.

By the way, most real estate attorneys and some title companies will pull up and either email you or print for you the deed restrictions and covenants of a property you are buying if you request them before closing, as not all home sellers have copies of the documents and sometimes if they do have them they do not have revisions or amendments that were added later on.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:40 AM

155 posts, read 295,317 times
I don't intend to hijack this thread. How can I be certain to avoid purchasing a home that is part of a HOA or has any type of covenant of restrictions? Is it just common place in most new subdivisions? I have had terrible experiences with HOAs and I don't want to deal with that again.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:49 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,833,176 times
Most "subdivisions" will have a HOA. Gated communities will have them 99% of the time, and usually strict ones too. Older established neighborhoods may, or may not. Your Realtor will be able to advise you. Most of the listings will say whether there is or not.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:13 PM

110 posts, read 162,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_in_dc View Post
I don't intend to hijack this thread. How can I be certain to avoid purchasing a home that is part of a HOA or has any type of covenant of restrictions? Is it just common place in most new subdivisions? I have had terrible experiences with HOAs and I don't want to deal with that again.
Just ask if you are obligated to pay any maintenance fees to the Association. If the answer is 'yes' then it is a mandatory HOA. In many ways I do not blame you for not wanting to live there. But, again there are differences. Some HOAs have tons of restrictions and some are more relaxed. All new subdivisions will most likely be more restrictive. Many Covenants written by the Developer (particularly years ago) are not easy to read and understand. Plus, these are usually outdated and do not comply with Florida HOA and other applicable laws. I would start with reading the Covenants 'Use of Property'. That article alone should give you an idea what you could be faced with. But it is in your best interest to read and understand all articles well.
As an alternative, you can buy a house in HOA where the membership is not mandatory (no fees) but it will most likely be an older house.

In any planned development you will have some restrictions. For instance, you may not be able to raise chickens in your back yard, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
View detailed profiles of: